Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Art Of Tree Cutting

14 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering if any departments have equipment dedicated to (such as long chainsaws) or are trained to cut trees?

For example, if a tree is down and blocking equipment from getting to the scene, if a fallen OR falling tree presents an imminent danger to life or property.

I'm just wondering if any departments have equipment dedicated to (such as long chainsaws) or are trained to cut trees?

For example, if a tree is down and blocking equipment from getting to the scene, if a fallen OR falling tree presents an imminent danger to life or property.

YPD ESU carries Stihl chainsaws in every truck for rescue or emergency road clearing. We recieved 4 hours training on them along with an instructional video.

Katonah carries 3 0r 4 Chain saws of diffrent size, plus the cutters edge and K12, there are some members that you can trust to cut up trees, but I would not let to many do it. I have witnessed to many people say they know what they are doing and then get smashed in the face or have saw jammed up because they know it all,

when those members are around we would let them go to town on the trees but the rest is left to Highway Dept. and Elec. Company.

But as you have posted ,Seth, as long as I can remember back , we have not had an issue, where we needed to use them , we have been fortunate so far and if it ever was a issue the highway has been there with saws and machines to move what we needed. As well there are quite a few members that are Highway, Water, Recreation plus own or work for tree service and Landscapers.

Edited by ja3kfd

Here we carry numerous chain saws and have used them for such issues as you posted,As for training,alot of members also work for DPW highway and parks departments so they have the training.

My father was at one time a logger so I am fairly comfortable with a chainsaw in my hands. Our department carries two dedicated for cutting trees. This means regular carbide chains, not vent chains. Being up in the woods many of our firefighters are quite handy with a saw, other are not at all. More and more we see the need to train people on proper starting, safety and cutting.

BTW:Vent chains do not throw wet wood at all and are terrible for cutting trees.

Tree down training:

1. If FD receives call for down tree = PD shift change or they have multiple down or they don't want to babysit road.

2. put down flares, cones or whatever to block road at nearest intersection.

3. Contact DPW

4. If all else fails...confirm road closure until DPW contacted.

LOL.

Hapiness would be how we made hasty LZ's. Detcord take care of tree very fast. smile.gif

Hapiness would be how we made hasty LZ's.  Detcord take care of tree very fast.  smile.gif

If you wind the det cord right can you get firewood length pieces?

every engine and every truck carries a chain saw for tree work. last fall every member was given a hands on class about chain saw safety and tree limb cutting by a member who did commercial work cutting trees. the class included wires in trees, large sections of tree down, changing saw blades, overall safety check before starting saw

YPD ESU carries Stihl chainsaws in every truck for rescue or emergency road clearing. We recieved 4 hours training on them along with an instructional video.

But they don't clear the road......ever!

Honestly my department has like, 3 saws, well, 4. 1 chainsaw on each engine, along with the K12. And If we need it, we have about 5 members who work with a logging service, so were all set on that.

How long Chris? lol. Actually you can get fairly accurate with detcord if depending on how your wrap it, how tight, how many times etc.

Up in the 'valley, asking about chain saws is kind of like going to an NRA convention and asking if anyone owns a gun. The department owns a lot of saws, but they don't get used enough to keep them safe to use. Most disasters we BYOCS. Personally we keep a long saw, a general use, both stihl's for the kick back feature and we have a 'food grade saw' that we keep vegetable oil for chain lube so we can use it for cutting wood we use in the salmon smoker....I keep a cute little electric one for indoor use.

It isn't enough to train on a chain saw; users need to be regular users that have hundreds of hours practice. Chains need to be sharp and users ought to be wearing chaps. The opportunity for disaster is huge.

ckroll wins...He has the food grade chain saw. Makes sense, but never thought about that, you know, being a city dweller most my life.

ckroll wins...He has the food grade chain saw.  Makes sense, but never thought about that, you know, being a city dweller most my life.

thanks, but ...she has the food grade saw.