Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

Age Limit

15 posts in this topic

What Westchester County F.D.'s have an age limit for hire? I'm sure you have to be at least 18 to be appointed, but what abou the top end? What's the cut off, if there is one?

What Westchester County F.D.'s have an age limit for hire?  I'm sure you have to be at least 18 to be appointed, but what abou the top end?  What's the cut off, if there is one?

Unlike NY Law Enforcement, I don't think there is an upper age limit - other than FDNY (which is even lower than the PD one! sad.gif ). At least, I've not heard of any in Westchester. Actually, in civil service, is there a mandatory retirement age? I guess that would be the upper limit.

the city of newburgh does not have one in either direction, believe it or not.

Retirement age for F.D. is 62 with special plans or 70 maxium--unless your department files for a exemption.

Hireing I believe there is no age--age discrimination laws are in effect.

Unfortunately there is no current age limit within the Westchester Depts. as far as I know...which I find to be ridiculous. You got guys going in at 40 years and older, who cant even make retirement, let alone get injured more frequently at jobs (thats not a knock on old guys, just goes with age...I'm one of them!).

I believe that in the past, the city of Yonkers had an age limit, the same as New York City, but revoked it. I recall reading some time ago in the papers that they want to push it back in...and I hope to see it.

Unfortunately there is no current age limit within the Westchester Depts. as far as I know...which I find to be ridiculous.  You got guys going in at 40 years and older, who cant even make retirement, let alone get injured more frequently at jobs (thats not a knock on old guys, just goes with age...I'm one of them!). 

I believe that in the past, the city of Yonkers had an age limit, the same as New York City, but revoked it.  I recall reading some time ago in the papers that they want to push it back in...and I hope to see it.

I disagree..respectfully. I know people in thier 40's who run circles around those who are in thier 20's. If one can pass an agility which is supposed to be a measure of fitness for the job...than why discriminate someone due to age???

I disagree..respectfully. I know people in thier 40's who run circles around those who are in thier 20's. If one can pass an agility which is supposed to be a measure of fitness for the job...than why discriminate someone due to age???

I'm sure this is true, but it's not 40 that's being considered, it's the fact that one has to work the job into thier 60's to make full retirment.

Ya got that right! Besides, who cares if ya have to wait till your 60 to retire. Before I got on the job and even there after guys were doing 30 plus yrs and were retiring late in life. They also gave 100%, everytime the bell hit, and rarely would they go out LOD, never mind retire as a result. I can't honestly say that for many of the younger guys now coming on the JOB. There's alot of silver spoon babies throughout the fire service today, no matter where ya work. So long as you still have a love for the job and stay sharp and fit, it really shoudn't matter. Look around the Country and you'll see alot of the bigger City Depts. with many older guys still on, not to mention still getting the JOB done and loving every minute of it. So long as everybody passes their Depts. annual physical, there should be no question about age.

To each his own...we all have our takes on it. I'm also seen people in their 40's run laps around the guys in the 20's, but mostly due to their experience in the "battle field", not because they are more in shape. I wasnt referring to the senior men on the job, if thats what any of you took it as. Cause they are the gold behind a company...but I've seen (and read alot in papers) the older men in their mid 40's, some even in the 50's get on the job as a probie, and nearly break a hip during a job, haha! I wasnt stereotyping them all.

Also, retirement isnt much of an issue to me (anymore), and although I feel the issue about age revolves more around safety, retirement is just a minor thing but can be considered. Some guys have to leave after 15 years, give or take cause they get on so late. Being young doesnt automatically qualify you either, so dont get that impression. I've also seen alot of the younger vollies in high school join their local department, and they can barely carry pull a dry hoseline. Of course, its the individual that matters most....but generally, the younger you are, the better off (health wise). But no matter what, experience takes precedence over EVERYTHING. Ask anyone of us guys who's been on the job in big cities, and they'll tell ya....after time, its beats the Sh*t out of ya! In the end, just stay safe out there, no matter who's backing you up!!!!

LP

PS...Sorry for bringing it off topic...I got carried away, I suppose.

I fully agree that there should be a age limit. you should be at least 30 years old to "get on the job" that will take care of all those runnie nose kids! tongue.gif

I beleave this is a young man's job, but if you are in your 40's and can do the job and take care of your body more power to you. Good luck and be safe.

I think one of the downfalls of no age limit is an older (30-40 yr old) getting the job after working at another job for 10 nyears has a hard time adjusting to the chain of command

I don't think there should be an age limit.

Interesting.....I wasn't looking to offend anyone, BTW. I was more concerned with how much more time I had to try for a job. I had thought that the cut off was 29 in some cases.

Thanks.

nope...just NYC, for now.

good luck! a whole bunch of PD tests coming out if you're interested...