Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

DMV SCAM: Out of state license plates?

15 posts in this topic

How do so many non residents continue to get away with registering their vehicles in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc ?????

It came to mind after reading about the MVA in Yonkers with injuries on Odell Avenue yesterday. The owner's NY address was located this time by a lucky break, but what happens if the driver escapes and your only clue is a license plate registered out of state ?? How can you determine the identity of the NY resident owner??

This is a big problem with illegals doing hit and run accidents.

Thank You and stay cool.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

How do so many non residents continue to get away with registering their vehicles in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc ?????

It came to mind after reading about the MVA in Yonkers with injuries on Odell Avenue yesterday. The owner's NY address was located this time by a lucky break, but what happens if the driver escapes and your only clue is a license plate registered out of state ?? How can you determine the identity of the NY resident owner??

This is a big problem with illegals doing hit and run accidents.

Thank You and stay cool.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

It's called insurance rate evasion. People get away with it because they are not registering the vehicles out of state, but instead they have a family member who resides in RI, FL, MA, PA or anywhere else register the vehicle for them. A lot of outside states, especially PA, it is very easy to register a vehicle, and the vehicle will come up not in the drivers name, but in the name of the relative who registered it.

The only way would be to contact the registered owner in the state the plate came from and find out who is using the vehicle in NY.

It's a huge pain in the a** and makes me laugh that an individual will buy a $60,000 Escalade but then registers it in RI under his aunt's address because he can't afford the insurance on it. Amazing how everyone is "just borrowing the car" from their relative when asked why they have their vehicle registered out of state.

I've noticed the same thing....a lot of "illegals" will have Pennsylvania license plates and drivers licencea, but live in NY.

Cars are registered out of state not only for insurance purposes, but also because of drivers license issues. How many North Carolina, and other State licenses are produced by drivers who are operating vehicles registered in New York. I have impounded many vehicles and issued plenty of tickets based upon my roadside investigations. Example: I stop a vehicle for a V&T violation, driver is operating a vehicle registered to a business in NY, and the driver produces a North Carolina license. I obtain the license and engage the driver in conversation to determine that he can speak and understand the English language. I then ask the driver what his street address is in North Carolina. Nine times out of ten the driver is unable to state his address in NC, and he stated he's resided in NY for two years = unlicensed.

Many drivers have told me that they have paid up to $5,000.00 to "runners" who transport a car load of persons to another state (NC, MA, MT, etc), bring them to a residence, conveniently which has all the license application paperwork for that state, aids them in preparation, and walks them through the process for the next two to three days.

V&T Law:

§ 250.In case a non-resident becomes a resident of this state, he shall be

entitled for a period not exceeding thirty days from the date he becomes

a resident to the same exemption from registering his vehicles in this

state as he would have enjoyed had he remained a non-resident.

2.A nonresident entitled to operate a motor vehicle or motorcycle as herein provided who shall become a resident of this state may operate or drive a motor vehicle or motorcycle on the public highways of this state for a period not

exceeding thirty days from the date he becomes a resident pending the

obtaining of a license to operate such motor vehicle or motorcycle in

this state.

I remember when I was a kid, several friends whose parent's cars had plates from VT, MA, etc. - the locations of their vacation (ie ski) homes. Again, an insurance thing.

I was recently involved in a minor MVA in Stamford with non-english speaking resident. She didn't have her insurance or an ID, so instead of just exchanging info I had to wait for PD to come take the report. This little Irish woman with a brogue so thick she might have been kidding shows up and starts going off on this woman who hit me about why she hasn't been to South Carolina to get a license and register her car. She went on in great detail about what you have to do and how much easier it is to then just roll over to NY or CT license. I was completely dumbfounded.

This is a good topic. I have noticed many cars registered in Conneticut parked overnight in the street in my village. The vehicles have permit decals displayed on the bumper for "VILLAGE RESIDENT STREET Overnight parking" yet IM here in New York !!!! Hope this stops .

I also meet a kid with Michigan lic plates ,,I asked him where he was from in Michigan ,, He stated "I've never been there". dry.gif

redmack Keep the good work , and thanks for info.

Edited by TR54

Drive thru the Bronx anytime. You will notice EVERYONE lives in

CT, PA, or MA. haha

Something should be done. biggrin.gif

Redmack, in addition to the unlicensed I also write them for Failure to Notify DMV of Change of Address.

A lot of times also people will have out state licenses because they can't get a NY license because they are suspended or revoked in NY. Like RWC said, working a radar car in the Bronx, we get out of state documents all the time, many of which are forged. But also, typically we find in the car computer that the motorist has a history in New York and usually has either suspended or revoked driving privileges in NY state. Now if I come across that at about 2330 hrs... I'll be thanking my perp for buying me a new TV with the OT I'm gonna make off it.

There's also a scam with these BS Bronx car dealerships, where they give out temporary out-of-state documents which are all bogus.

Do those SUPER-COOL new plate reading cameras catch any of this nonsense? I really hope they do.

While I'm not a cop, I can imagine that while trying to meet my moving violations quota [that doesn't exist wink.gif ] I would be shootin for those lil' bastards from VA and such. That and of course my pet pieve, wipers on headlights on. You could make your sgt's day with one rainstorm and an overpass [to keep dry]

The Mobile Plate Hunter advises if the car is stolen or has a suspended registration.

I have noticed a bit of a reduction in the illegal pennsylvania plates...lately at least they are all current and have a real owner, for a while they were notorious with being not on file, revoked (due to bad check), or just plain fake! Still see some around but don't see them getting stopped all that often. And as for MA, they probably are running drugs, but I didn't say that!!!

Oswegowind,

Both perp cars had PA plates in that stolen credit card job on Tuckahoe Road at the BP gas station @ Otseo Road.

Michigan and Rhode Island pleated seem to be very popular nowadays.

Almost seems like shooting fish in a barrel for law enforcement to run almost any of these plates with certain drivers.

You are correct. Only one was not registered, the PA one actually...but it hasn't been the norm lately, unless our guys are just not catching them as often...which could be the reason.

Was told there was also a stolen Honda with PA plates chased by Anti Crime someplace in northwest Yonkers and ending with a foot chase into the old carpet shops on Lake Avenue at Nepperhan.

Perp I think escaped onto a very, very low rooftop, but left behind his girlfriend and pit bull in the stolen car.

This was a day after or before the BP incident.

Those temporary paper dealer plates are another scam begging for a traffic stop.

Glad to hear the YPD force has increased, seems like every other perp has guns...and good luck changing the retirement rules for dispatchers. Long overdue.