Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

CPAT for Connecticut

16 posts in this topic

I will be out at the State Academy taking mine today, anyone else?

If so, good luck to all, I know I will need it!!!

Hopefully you went to the CPAT site in Meriden off the Berlin Turnpike and didn't head up to Windsor Locks. Sometimes people get confused with the CPAT center which is run by the CTFA.

Hopefully you passed the test and good luck!!

Hopefully you went to the CPAT site in Meriden off the Berlin Turnpike and didn't head up to Windsor Locks. Sometimes people get confused with the CPAT center which is run by the CTFA.

Hopefully you passed the test and good luck!!

Gee, you'll NEVER guess what happened to me!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So, seeing as I was declined the opportunity from taking the test due to my late arrival, does anyone know of the next CT CPAT, or ANY CPAT to be given in the State of Conn? I have been informed that the Danbury list expires in October, and if my name DOES come up for an interview, I do not want to get excluded. :(

So, seeing as I was declined the opportunity from taking the test due to my late arrival, does anyone know of the next CT CPAT, or ANY CPAT to be given in the State of Conn? I have been informed that the Danbury list expires in October, and if my name DOES come up for an interview, I do not want to get excluded. :(

Go to CFA's website and they should have a list of CPAT dates listed for 2007. Also you should have received with your CPAT information directions to the Meriden location and they are also posted on CFA's website and also the CT fire prevention website. They usually run one or two a month during the warm weather but they cancel them also and reassign the date depending on weather conditions also. Use this link http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/cwp/view.asp?a=826&Q=246722 it has the links for signing up and information.

To every one who takes the CT CPAT - Make sure you read all the instructions when you download or get the the application from any department you test with. They may or may not include the CPAT info and rely on you to make your appointment if it is not included with their packets.

Xfirefighter484x I feel you on this one, if you get into a jam or need any info, let me know.

The stations are as follows:

1. Stair Climb

2. Hose Drag

3. Equipment Carry

4. Ladder Raise & Extension

5. Forcible Entry

6. Search

7. Rescue

8. Ceiling Breach and Pull

A couple of notes...

-You wear a 50-lbs weight vest for the entire test.

-The first station is the stair climb, and it is on one of these: 7000pt.jpg

For that stair-climbining station they add an additional 12.5-lbs to each shoulder (total vest weight for this station only is 75-lbs). You do have a warmup period to get used to the cadence of the machine, but during the test you cannot hold the railings or the wall, and if you fall off the machine it is an automatic DQ for the entire test. Many people (including yours truly) have failed the test at this first station due to falling off because this machine runs at 1-step-per-second and is a bit like walking up a down escalator. It is a very un-natural feeling, and in my opinion is not an accurate representation of climbing real stairs. That being said, if you have never used one of these machines before I highly recommend finding one and using it as much as possible before your CPAT exam.

Edited by 242steve

I know of the list given out by the CT Fire Academy, but I thought at one point I heard that some other places do give out CPATs as well.

My problem is that the closing date for the NEXT round of CPATs has already passed, it closed on 6-22, which means I would not be able to take another CPAT until November???

Call the Fire academy and expain the situation. They may not make you wait the eights weeks they normally do.

If you're serious about wanting to take the CPAT and can't get in anyplace around here, there's a facility in Orange County, CA that gives CPAT's quite regularly. A CPAT is a CPAT, and they will give you a cert card. I've taken the CPAT a couple of years ago at this facility- they are very professional, as that's all they do there is give CPAT's, and it's open to everyone.

Plus, it's a great excuse for an L.A. buff trip, lol.

http://www.cffjac.org/jac/cpat/for_candidates/index.cfm

if i could give you guys any advice it would be to train for it. at the orientation, i went through the course and failed the stairmaster.

the good thing about CT is they let you "practice" the CPAT 3 times, and if you pass the first time you don't have to go back. i trained on the stairmill w/out a weight vest for 2 weeks and passed fine. Not gunna lie it's real hard, just listen to everything they say.

One guy ahead of me failed for not having gloves on

Yes this is correct. The first time I ever took the CPAT I practiced extensively. If you have never done the test before, I suggest the orientation...you may think it's a waste of time, but you get to try everything out and know what you're getting into. And I'll second that it's a difficult test, but passing it gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I guess it depends on the person. I have taken my County's version of the CPAT. Dutchess runs the FPAT, giving a 14 minute time limit, just as a baseline for all applicants for any paid position. From there, once hired, you go through the academy, and from there have to pass the CPAT.

The last time I took the FPAT, I passed the FPAT in 9:43, and at the end, the proctor said "Good enough to pass the CPAT." so I am pretty confident in my skills.

I do know what you are saying though, about the orientation, I guess good if you have never taken one before.

This time I see CT has changed their CPAT. It costs more and now they are offering two practice tests? If you pass the practice test does that count for the real thing?

CT has changed their format...I just took it recently and passed my first practice test and received my certificate approximately a week or so later. It counts for the actually CPAT only if the conditions it is run under are up to the CPAT standard. For example, I went on a rainy day and there was question if it would count as an actually CPAT if i passed it because of puddles but they were cleared off and it was counted. Same thing for temperature, has to be over 42 degrees i believe and under whatever the max was but as long as those conditions are met it counts.