Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Cross Training Firefighters And Wrecker Operators

5 posts in this topic

I'm just curious if there are any departments out there that cross-train with their local tow agencies for rescue work?

For instance, Stiloski's Towing has a wealth/variety of equipment that makes an excellent supplement to rescue work,

Stiloski's Equipment Photo Gallery On x635Photos.com

Do any agencies have tow services on their running card for extrications and other types of rescue trucks?

Also, has any department in the area considered using a wrecker as a heavy rescue, like Los Angeles Heavy Rescue 56?

I used to work as a tow truck operator while I was still a member of my hometown FD

generally we tow truck companies) were called out by the PD for MVA's etc, only occasionally did we get a call direct from the FD to tow a vehicle, and I never got called out to assist in an extrication(stabilzation, etc) usually just standing by while everything else was done, photos and measurements taken, and then i would hook up (sometimes with thier assistance) and tow it whereever they requested (impound, our storage lot, garage (mechanical hazard)

we have an extremely heavy duty wrecker that we use on occasion. And its worth its weight in gold. Its very basic in that it doesnt have a wheel lift etc. But I can't remember it being used to tow with. Basically a very portable crane.

East Fishkill has utilized Hyatt's Towing from Hyatt's Garage on several occasions at bad MVAs. For instance, one night, a pick-up went off the road, striking a downed tree, pinning the driver between the truck and the tree. The tow truck was utilized to lift the tree free, so extrication efforts could take place.

http://eastfishkillfiredistrict.org/MVA%20...%209%202005.htm

Firehouse.com Article

At another incident, a patient ended up rear-ending a tractor trailer, forcing the vehicle they were driving underneath the trailer. Hyatt's Garage utilized their heavy wrecker to lift the trailer off the vehicle, so it would be pulled free and extrication would commence.

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=10757

From both of these incidents, members operating the Hurst Tools, AND the members of Hyatt's Garage were issued Green Cross Awards by the Hurst Company.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

East Fishkill has utilized Hyatt's Towing from Hyatt's Garage on several occasions at bad MVAs. For instance, one night, a pick-up went off the road, striking a downed tree, pinning the driver between the truck and the tree. The tow truck was utilized to lift the tree free, so extrication efforts could take place.

http://eastfishkillfiredistrict.org/MVA%20...%209%202005.htm

Firehouse.com Article

At another incident, a patient ended up rear-ending a tractor trailer, forcing the vehicle they were driving underneath the trailer. Hyatt's Garage utilized their heavy wrecker to lift the trailer off the vehicle, so it would be pulled free and extrication would commence.

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=10757

From both of these incidents, members operating the Hurst Tools, AND the members of Hyatt's Garage were issued Green Cross Awards by the Hurst Company.

I was at the incident on the parkway with the large wrecker, I am also a driver for Hyatt's garage,

As a tow truck driver/operator I can vouch for this; the most important thing a wrecker operator can have is a good knowledge of his wrecker and equipment and a good "feel" or control for how the truck will respond as he operates it. Also its limitations beyond that they need to be able to communicate with the rescuers. You should definitely have a good knowledge of the various tow agencies in your area as well as there equipments abilities and maintenance (you don't want to rely on a broken down old truck that has problems winching a Honda out of a snow bank to lift weight off of a vehicle or worse yet a patient) then you want to have an idea of there drivers ability.

And make sure they know why there coming out. If they think there getting called to recover the vehicle they might send an under qualified or newer operator when you want the most experienced guy there.

As for cross training, its a good idea but good luck getting the wrecker operators to come out and train with you and retrain with you as time goes on, most important is that they are trained on there equipment.