Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Posts Per Day

34 posts in this topic

Members-

You can now see each members "Posts Per Day" stat in each post, as and where illustrated below.

Additionally, you can now rate each member in their profile, using a five star system, with 5 stars being the best. The member will be able to see who rated them. It will average out based on the rating given by the members.s

Both features will allow us all to see who the consistently active members are, along with the quality of their posts as judged by the membership.

*EDIT/UPDATE: We are building this system in preparation for a Fall 2007 rollout of a rewards program for members that consistently post quality information.

As stated in the forum rules, any member posting, as determined by us, for the sole reason of increasing their post or point count, will be considered spamming the forums, and their posting privledges will be yanked.

post-2-1183509181.jpg

-EMTBravo

Edited by EMTbravo
To Update Why We're Doing This

Seth,

Please, please, PLEASE delete this feature now! As we see on certain other forums, some people measure their self-worth by the number of posts that they make. They exist solely to post endless streams of insipid nonsense, it's all about quantity over quality. Sort of like cyber-graffitti. Kill it before it grows.

Edited by Stepjam

As stated in the forum rules, any member posting, as determined by us, for the sole reason of increasing their post or point count, will be considered spamming the forums, and their posting privledges will be yanked.

We are building this system in preparation for a Fall 2007 rollout of a rewards program for members that consistently post quality information.

I think the rating system will scare away people from posting, what is the purpose of rating people. If someone does not like the person they can get a poor rating, or what if a person posts something very interesting and they have a low rating we are to take what they say with a grain of salt? Or a person with a high rating posts something that is totally of the wall we are to take as gospel? Do away with the rating system in my opinion. I just don’t see what the purpose of it is, but then again its your site and you have final say.

I think its a great idea. I belong to another forum that uses a rating system. If you see that some one has a good number of "reputation points" you can screen some of the BS that more ignorant people post. Its a two way street though. If you feel like some one is doing a good job and contributing to the discussion, give them a point. As with anything posted anywhere, take everything with a grain of salt and verify the information. No need to "take everything as gospel." I was actually thinking about requesting a point system such as this, thanks for preempting me. Thanks for the continuing hard work and dedication in improving this forum.

How do you see who rated you?

i have to agree this will start a competition among the posters not really a good idea there is enough bull out there now we donot need more

i dont know, i kinda like the idea that bs posters will get privileges taken away. as for the whole rating idea, idk how that will turn out, but i would love to see and give it a try, hey worst comes to worst you remove the applications.

good ideas seth keep up the good work

wow i got points for that post

see what i mean

And that action has been logged. Further actions such as the above will result in the removal of posting privledges. The moderators of this forum have been made aware to patrol for actions like this, and if you believe a member is posting just to increase their post counts, please use the "Report" button on the post to make us aware.

Also, all Verified Members should be aware to keep their profiles up to date, to avoid losing their Verified Member status.

Please give this system a chance. I will be rolling out a rewards program for quality posts in the Fall. It will include other components to go along with others already introduced, such as a member advisory board, topic of the week, and member of the week, to name a few. We are doing this iniative to try and increase the quality of information and encoruage more members to post. It's also going to be a fun way to reward active members of this forum.

As always, we keep members up to date as to what we're up to, and appreciate all feedback, and are open to any comments, questions, or concerns. Feel free to contact us at any time.

Seth

I think you have a great system and it will work out the way you want it to. But I wish you would fix the log in part I have to log in each time I show up at the site and I have hit the remember me box. Please let me know if it is me or what I maybe doing wrong.

Keep up the great work.

i not sure i like this at all.it seems like it turn this into game and see who gets the most points.i understand you will not allow members tring to bring up there

i have question do any administors of the site are they included in this lottery?

But I wish you would fix the log in part I have to log in each time I show up at the site and I have hit the remember me box. Please let me know if it is me or what I maybe doing wrong.

I believe the issue has been fixed, let me know. Also, make sure that your internet options and firewall settings allow you to accept cookies from this site. Those cookies are what enable you to stay logged in on one computer.

Also, please use the "Bug Reporting Thread" in the New Upgraded Forum Issues section to report any bugs or issues you are having with the software, so I can keep track.

i not sure i like this at all.it seems like it turn this into game and see who gets the most points.i understand you will not allow members tring to bring up there

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying? As I said above, it's not about who gets the most points or posts. It will be a multi-faceted sytem. More details will be released as I bring the new rewards system online.

i have question do any administors of the site are they included in this lottery?

The only reason you see the EMTBravo name on the lottery this round is for testing purposes only. I will not enter the lottery as an adminstrator. The moderators can enter the lottery, since they have no access to edit or control the point system.

I don't like the whole idea of "rewards". If you need to basically bribe people to post things, why is the site even here? If people don't want to post,(or whatever else they do in the hobby) just for the enjoyment of it, why are they doing it? I think it's a very bad idea.

If someone has a personal vendetta against another member,here's one more way to **** with them. There is so much infighting in the fire service already,this will just encourage more on this site. Plus it could very well turn into a pissing contest. I could personally care if I get any points or rewards.

Just my 2 cents.

Your not supposed to say anything bad about a person on this site right? But you are now allowing people to rate you. A low rating is just as bad as saying someone is a crappy........whatever. Seems like a popularity contest to me.

OK, I agree that the peer-to-peer rating system is a bad idea, and have disabled it.

This new "rewards" program is not "bribing" people to post, and I am insulted by that accusation, especially when you don't even know what the program is all about yet. If you want to hold prejudices based on other forum experiences, please stop now, because this isn't other forums.

I dont mean any disrespect to the administrators, but whatever happened to a simple and "to-the-point" forum system that involves EMERGENCY SERVICES? Now, we have points added, rating systems, and now I'm also told that I cant profane, even if I cover the whole entire word with astericks or other symbols?! I'm older than half the people who post on this site, and now I'm being treated like a 1st grader. C'mon...dont cry respect, when these efforts seem to disrespect (big or small).

I understand you want to maintain a mature environment with no clashes among the members, but I feel that complicated steps are being taken, rather than just the basics. Post good topics, post your OPINIONS in response to the topics (without all these regulations, otherwise you're censoring whats suppose to be a PUBLIC forum)...and if it's TOTALLY out there and disrespectful and deliberatly causing problems to anyone, delete it!

I'm not suggesting people are being "bribed" into anything, but I've seen similar discussions about this before. If people want to post, than great! And if not, well, thats there choice as well. But to suggest this will system will bring out more posts (intelligent ones) doesnt seem to make sense. Look at it already. Just a couple of days of this prize and points idea, and already we've seen how many crap posts???

I wont be surprised if I'm going to get a response back about this, suggesting that I'm being disrespectful and threatened to have my posting priviledges taken away...but remember this. I wasnt at any time with any post, trying to be disrespectful. This site offers many great services and some intersting topics of discussion, and I enjoy reading up on them, as I also appreciate the efforts of the Admin. I just think that sometimes, things get a little too much, and that is my opinion.

Happy 4th to everyone!

The reason I post on here is not to get points. I generally try and post about topics that I may know about. I think that everyone should be able to say what is on their mind whether it is good or bad. I understand not trying to be mean to other people, but if they don't know what they are talking about then they need to hear it. I am very opinionated and like to say what is on my mind and I think that we should be able to do that without having our behinds slapped for doing it.

Usually before I hit submit I do think what I wrote and and always reread my posts to make sure that I don't sound like an a**. So basically what I write is what I would say to anybody to their faces. I guess honesty is the best policy although it sometimes gets me into trouble. LPfire19 great post. I guess that is where I am going with this.

i just must say i love the new look of the site NICE JOB WITH ALL

I'm confident with the way I operate this site, despite the complete lack of appreciation by some. I've learned that no matter what I do, I'm never going to please everybody and I will alwasy be trashed by some no matter what move I take, even if it pleases them.

This move, despite what is being speculated about it, is going to take this forum to the next level.

And, by the way, this is EMTBRAVO, which has been built from scratch as my site to one where thousands of members share and learn information......it's not supposed to be like every other site out there. This is a PRIVATE SITE that's provided to the membership completly for free, and everybody agreed to follow the terms and rules when they registered. We have plenty of quality posts and quality members. We tolerate less then other forums do, and we are very strict for good reason. We also have a top notch moderating staff and membership that works together hard to try and make this forum enjoyable for all. I've always strayed away from using this line, but if you don't like this forum and the way it's run, no one's forcing you to be here. Please let me know if you'd like me to delete your account.

Posting on this forum is a PRIVLEDGE, not a given right.

Anyways, thank you for your input and I will consider your thoughts as I continue to improve this forum. Although I don't appreciate the taunts like

"I wont be surprised if I'm going to get a response back about this, suggesting that I'm being disrespectful and threatened to have my posting priviledges taken away."

I got yer back Seth! I love how some people try to take over but don't put in work to do so! This is not a publicly traded site and if a decision is made by administration it is theirs to make. If you want it run a certain way then buy a domain, a server, and take your own time to do your own thing...or just do what is not natural and progress and adapt to new things. Life changes everyday and the changes here may make you think a little harder for 15 minutes but too bad! Again, if you don't care about the points that is fine just ignore them...My 2 cents!

Taunt?

Not exactly, Seth. Just like you express your concerns and gripes, so shall I and anyone else. If that is truly a problem to read something that you feel "taunts" you, then I will delete my account for you, and save you time if thats what you feel needs to be done. I told you in my post, that I appreciate and respect the efforts that you the others put in. I didnt knock you personally, or anyone else for that matter, and cant recall one time that I did in any other post. I wouldnt even call it a concern...its such a minor thing to me, and I felt you might like the input, whether you agree or not. Thats what leaders and supervisors do. And you said you did appreciate it, so I'm glad I could help. Hope that didnt tarnish anything future relations.

And Oswego...of course you have a point to your argument. But alot of people dont have the time or technology to do something like that. Its easy to just tell people to quit and leave, and I feel sometimes people get WAY too sensitive over something as miniscule as this. That is MY 2 cents!

I post on this site to try and "share my knowledge" to paraphrase the banner. I also am interested in what's going on where I grew up, not to mention just a plain and simple love of the hobby!(not win some kind of lottery) Sorry to insult the boss, but as far as I'm concerned, this whole rewards idea is nothing but a bribe! You can take any points I may "earn" and give them to whomever you like;I have no intention of ever using them. As far as the whole profanity issue; I do prefer to be treated like an adult,not a child. Last time I checked, many FF's are known to use SOME of those words on occasion.

I post on this site to try and "share my knowledge" to paraphrase the banner. I also am interested in what's going on where I grew up, not to mention just a plain and simple love of the hobby!(not win some kind of lottery) Sorry to insult the boss, but as far as I'm concerned, this whole rewards idea is nothing but a bribe! You can take any points I may "earn" and give them to whomever you like;I have no intention of ever using them. As far as the whole profanity issue; I do prefer to be treated like an adult,not a child. Last time I checked, many FF's are known to use SOME of those words on occasion.

BUT, not everybody on here is an older male Firefighter, while this is a private forum, in as much as you need to be a verified member to participate in discussions, the same does not necessarily apply to those who just want to "check it out". I use that language just as much as the next guy, but I try to use some discretion in doing so. Point here is you never know who's reading your posts, and more often than not, the use of vuldarity is totally unnecessary and uncalled for.

I believe the issue has been fixed, let me know. Also, make sure that your internet options and firewall settings allow you to accept cookies from this site. Those cookies are what enable you to stay logged in on one computer.

Also, please use the "Bug Reporting Thread" in the New Upgraded Forum Issues section to report any bugs or issues you are having with the software, so I can keep track.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying? As I said above, it's not about who gets the most points or posts. It will be a multi-faceted sytem. More details will be released as I bring the new rewards system online.

Seth

thanks it is working and once again thanks for all your hard work on this site that we all love and use as a great source of info.

Chris

I think you guys will like the new program. The criticism actually inspires me to make it even better. This will bring this forum to the next level.

I, again, appreciate the dissent, as that shows you care about the site. You may not care about points and it may seem ridiculous right now, but I hope that you can open your mind when this program comes online and give it a chance

And, don't forget, points can be taken away as easily as they can be earned as a penalty.

Hey all, I am willing to give the points system a chance, who knows it might turn out to be a decent thing.

Question for seth or any moderator; what constitutes a "Quality" post? I have seen anything from people taking their experiences and knowledge and posting it for everyone to learn from to the guys who simply look for articles elsewhere and paste them here. I have also seen people express their opinions about topics and get jumped on from other "frequent" posters from the site, even though their opinions are not far from the truth.

I was just wondering what the administrators felt were quality posts so that we had some guidelines to go by. I feel a quality post would be anything that sparks questions, raises "mature" debates, and leaves even just one person feeling like they have learned something new. Maybe a post that shows a new product or piece of apparattus with new features such as the post about the "super bumper pumper" or whatever it was called, that was an interesting topic I feel a lot of people learned from. Just a curious question, thanks for all the work you all do on the site, I appreciate it more than you know.

Hope you all had a great 4th!! :D

The point of a good conversation or debate is differing opinions. I may not always agree to what is being said, but I may learn something that I did not know. That's what makes this site great, we can all agree to disagree.

first all nice job site.thank you for answering my questions about the points system.i still don't see how this not going to be popularity contest.but i will give it some time as you bring on this lottery system more.i don't post here for points,i do because i enjoy this site.