Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Why That Company?

14 posts in this topic

I know the topic of why you joined the fire dept. has been discussed but how about why you join your specific company(engine ladder rescue etc.)????

I am technically not in the fire service even though I do dispatch the YFD, but I will answer anyway!

I joined the Yonkers Communications after having a whole lot of fun while working on the ambulance in Yonkers. I thought it was just the place I wanted to be, and now I am here. Great job, good pay, always interesting workload! And get to deal with all 3 services just am warm in the winter and cool in the summer...no more humping gear...and no more carrying people up and down stairs!

In Stamford we are not organized by apparatus based companies, but by geography based districts. But this is a great question. For me it was partially based on where I lived and partially based on what I saw as an outsider. My Brother and Father were members of the department near where I grew up but I didn't join anywhere until I was in my 20's and already living in a different neighborhood. Since I had been dispatching for 8 years already, I knew a fair amount of the guys (at least by voice). At the time I had a good friend who was in one department and two co-workers who were in another, so I was being recruited by both although more aggressively by my coworkers. Hanging out with my friend often meant tagging along when he got a call. After visiting both stations extensively I finally joined Belltown. Oddly enough the coworker who was the main recruiter, isn't a member anymore, since moving out of state, and doesn't work with me anymore but I stuck arround.

Well, I grew up in Northport, Long Island, where I was a member of the Juniors for four years. I wanted to join them, being thats where my father volunteered for 35+ years and was a Captain when we moved.

We moved up-state NY to Richmondville where I joined and volunteered for 11 years. I made it to Lt., but there were so many problems with lack of training and respect. I met my wife who was a FF/EMT with Cobleskill and I heard of the rigorous requirements for training, and officer, so I transferred here where I have been serving for 4 years now. We serve a POP of 5,000+ out of one station with 3 engines, 1 reserve eng, 1 tanker, 95' Tower Ladder, heavy rescue, 1 brush truck, 1 6-wheeler, 1 Gator for EMS, and 2 ambulances. We do about 400 fire and 700 ems calls annually. We dont have dedicated companies such as eng, ladder, rescue. Just one big happy disfunctional family!! :D

Stay Safe

Moose

I know the topic of why you joined the fire dept. has been discussed but how about why you join your specific company(engine ladder rescue etc.)????

Basically, because it was the closest to my home!

Which sometimes makes me wonder what I'll do when there are other firehouses almost as close as my current company.

I chose the Hook and Ladder Company for a few reasons... For one thing I knew several of the active members in the company before I joined, and also with my background in construction, ropes/rigging and working in high places I figured the Truck made sense. Plus, who didn't want to be a tillerman when they were growing up? (Gonna miss that!)

I knew absolutely nothing about different companies when I first called the number on the "Volunteer today!" sign. I was told to come to a Tuesday night engine meeting. Had I gone to the Monday meeting, I probably would have joined the ladder company.

Of course, I also joined as ambulance-only at first, so all I really cared about at the time was becoming a member of the fire department in general so I could join the ambulance corps.

My decision to join my company was simple...it was the closest company to my school

my family has history in the engine company, so i joined there.

(secretly I enjoy truck work allot more ;)

Great topic! The reason I joined an Engine Company was in my blood. My father is a member and he brought me around at a very young age. As the years went on and lucky for me, I was able to start training at an unheard of young age (IzzyEng4, don't start :lol: ) After a ton of waivers on my parents part as well as the instructors , who were members of my company, I was off. I finished CT fire fighter 1, 2, and 3 in a row and I was hooked. Once I was old enough to join I started making my was through the chairs. I was an officer for 9 years with 3 of them as Captain. Next step a year and a half from now is the Chiefs test. I can't imagine 'not' being a member of the fire department.

Great topic! The reason I joined an Engine Company was in my blood. My father is a member and he brought me around at a very young age. As the years went on and lucky for me, I was able to start training at an unheard of young age (IzzyEng4, don't start :lol: ) After a ton of waivers on my parents part as well as the instructors , who were members of my company, I was off. I finished CT fire fighter 1, 2, and 3 in a row and I was hooked. Once I was old enough to join I started making my was through the chairs. I was an officer for 9 years with 3 of them as Captain. Next step a year and a half from now is the Chiefs test. I can't imagine 'not' being a member of the fire department.

Oh Come'on Moose!!! I've only known you since you were XXXXXXX :P

As for me, I joined Engine 4 since many members of my family were "hose jockeys" since the inception of our unit. The old boys from Windy Hill.

Since I joined in the days when I was young and gung-ho, I joined the Rescue Company since they went out on every alarm, acted as the 3rd truck company (since I love truck work) and handled all Haz-Mat, extrications, specialized calls, etc.

Since I joined in the days when I was young and gung-ho, I joined the Rescue Company since they went out on every alarm, acted as the 3rd truck company (since I love truck work) and handled all Haz-Mat, extrications, specialized calls, etc.

Actually, I really prefer the way it was done in Albany. You belonged to a Department, not a company. You responded to all calls and performed all work, depending on your qualifications, type of call, arrival at the firehouse. So, sometimes you got to be on the nob, other times venting, other times working an extrication.

I can do that to some extent now, as it is one Department - however it is very much geared to the company that you belong to.

Family History from my Grandfather up and hope more to go in the future. 3rd Genaration Firefighter