Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Future Fireman

This will sound stupid...Sliding Down A Fire Pole

21 posts in this topic

I originally posted this on the New England forums but I would like some more opinions on it.

This will sound stupid for all the career FF's on this board. I'm a bit afraid of heights, however a ladder or roof, no matter how high will be alright with my fear as long as i know it's safe and all precautions are taken. However, i'm a bit afraid of sliding down a fire pole (i told ya it was stupid) anyone know how to cope with this mentality?

Mike

Not that stupid of a fear. You could get hurt doing it, so being being a little fearful could be normal for some. My suggestion would be to set up a 6 foot "A" frame ladder next to the pole and get on it from that to practice getting your control down. It sounds dumb, but I had to do it before I was allowed to slide the whole way. When you feel comfortable that you can control speed and not burn your hands (use your feet, with shoes on for braking) then move up to the big leagues. Its like anything else, the more you practice it the better you get at it, and the more comfortable you will be.

Nothing wrong with taking the stairs.

Sliding the pole is great, and you may be able to work up to it using the advice of nickcabral.

If I am awaken by an alarm and still feeking groggy by the time I get to the pole hole, I do not have any second thoughts about taking the stairs instead.

The potential for injury is definitely there... a friend of mine (not a firefighter) shattered both ankles, and had very bad radial fractures of both tibia and fibula when he went down a pole wearing a fleece pullover that had no braking power.

Nothing stupid about admitting your fear of heights. Stupid is not admitting and doing it and getting hurt or hurting someone else.

most fire station are eliminating the "fire pole" due to the location of them--if the pole is coming from a sleeping area to the apparatus floor it should be eliminated because of the exaust fumes.

and nothing arong with the stairs

Though we do not have any poles in my station, I have slid down a couple for fun. But I understand the fear, I am not afraid of heights but I had an accident when I was working for the phone company when I was climbing a pole and cut out after I was strapped in, kissing it all the way down and I got cut up pretty good. After that I had some fears about even going up a step ladder but it took time for me to get over it. We did a stand by in another ton where their house had a pole and I couldn't go down it. I eventually got over the fear cause by my accident.

Some people never get over it and that is ok. Take the stairs if you don't feel comfortable going down the pole of even like it was said before use a step ladder and go up small increments and when you get comfortable, go up a little higher.

There is nothing wrong with being leary of using the fire pole. I use ours during the day. but on a night shift I use the stairs.

Another quick and easy way to get used to sliding the pole is to put on a harness and have some other guys run a belay line from the top. This way you can have total control of yourself all the way down but will be backed up by the rope if you lose control. My Dept. started training probies like this after we had some serious injuries including one guy breaking both ankles.

JUST LIKE FIRECAPT SAID ALOT OF STATIONS NO LONGER HAVE THE POLE. FAIRVIEW (DUTCHESS) DOESN'T HAVE ONE.

I remember seeing a study where it was proven that people get injured just as easily running down the stairs in the middle of the night as using the pole. Anyone else hear/see that? Also, are there any houses equipped with the other option... the kiddie slide from upstairs to the apparatus floor?

hold on here --any department that has a pole and allows any person/child or what ever slide down it is only asking for trouble. I would check with a attorny on that one.

Couple of options....just do it. Do it with clothes on and if you have a sleeping quarters, after you get the hang of it try it with your bunker pants on. You do actually have to adjust for the added weight of the boots a bit.

Some of the brothers gave great input as well.

Other than that I can come over and give the drill instructor routine and I bet you'll go down the pole and I might even be able to "motivate" you to climb back up. lol.

I have no problem admitting that I hate taking the pole, I've been in the department 6 years now and probably only used it twice. The stairs gets me to the engine room just as fast, just use them and you'll be fine.

Edited by BFD196

First pole I ever slid was in Pelham...working for Empress. I just sat on the floor and hopped and dropped the first time. After that I was fine.

Speaking of fire poles in Pelham.....I was working with my favorite old partner, more of a freind than a partner, nicest guy in the world, Paramedic, Somers vollie, and all around BUFF.

Pelham had an alarm, and we had to move our bus to let their "rescue" out....so Billy takes the pole....

....and proceeds to land ON their Deputy Chief, who was trying to get to the engine! They both go flying to the ground....

NO ONE got hurt......just flustered....the DC didnt care, he was just frikking happy to be going to a call and riding on the peice....

I was laughing so hard I could not drive. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

First of all, as has been said here more than once already, there is nothing wrong with being leary of height. I've been in the Fire Service for years and if I don't have to climb another ladder I won't feel bad. And on another note I'm not sure, but I think I read something about NFPA or OSHA pushing to ban fire poles. Anybody know about that?????

Guys and girls, I received a interesting PM from a member by the name of pudrant. He said to "try being a cop or something else. cant slide the pole , cant do the job." Just to let him and everyone else know, I'm not afraid of climbing an aerial, ground ladder, or being on a roof. It's just the pole. Obviously this guy has the 'if you don't take the pole, you'll miss the truck' mentality.

Just something I would share with all of you.

Mike

Guys and girls, I received a interesting PM from a member by the name of pudrant. He said to "try being a cop or something else. cant slide the pole , cant do the job." Just to let him and everyone else know, I'm not afraid of climbing an aerial, ground ladder, or being on a roof. It's just the pole. Obviously this guy has the 'if you don't take the pole, you'll miss the truck' mentality.

Mike

I wouldn't worry about it. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. You'll find out that there are some "unique" personalities across all three emergency services. Take things like that with a grain of salt. They don't really merit a response or acknowledgment. Best of luck w/ the pole, wouldn't catch me dead doing it :P .

Edited by Goose

there is nothing stupid about that.if you feel comfortable taking the stairs down then do that.no matter what any one else says.i know there fire dept in ohio someplace that is built into water tank,and they use slide like at mcdonalds.i can't remember the name of department.

Mike

Don't worry about what that guy said. Sounds like he's got a pole shoved up somewhere. I personally have never taken the pole. Never saw the need. There are three sets of stairs that will get me down to the apparatus floor in an equally short period of time. I am definitely not a fan of heights, but I do what i need to, and dont linger any longer than I absolutely have to on a ladder. I know plenty of other people that don't like heights, but we suck it up and do what we need to do to get the job done.