Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Career Staffing

22 posts in this topic

Please keep this a strict by the numbers answer.... No bs'ing about what's right and wrong, vollie vs career.... Just the facts. I will not use this information as a tool or leverage point against any departments/individuals.

I am curious, what is the staffing of career departments in WC? I'm looking for average staffing numbers. For example if xyz has a standard for a 4 man truck and 3 man engine, but one unit is in a slow station and always has a man detailed out then that isn't what I'm asking for. What is the number per unit that is being strived for per shift.

1: How many on the engine (including driver & officer)

2: How Many on the truck (including driver & officer)

3: How many on the rescue (including driver & officer)

4: How many on an ambulance/medic available to supress fire/effect rescues along with above units

5: Are the above supplemented by volunteers (always, special call, no volunteer members)

For the following departments (and others that I may miss) although I realize that a few have staffing that is more obvious than others

Mount Vernon

Yonkers

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Greenville

Fairview

White Plains

New Rochelle

Larchmont

Mamaroneck(s)

Hartsdale

Scarsdale

Eastchester

Harrison

Rye

Portchester

Mohegan

Peekskill

Veterans Affairs

Yonkers Fire has 3 FF's and 1 Officer (4men) on each of it's 18 Companies - 11 Engines, 6 Ladders & 1 ALF Eagle Tandem Axle Heavy Rescue. Empress provides Medical Service and Ambulances, and there are no Volunteers.

Thanks yfd910 that is the simple answer I was looking for. Hopefully others will follow. I'll PM folks if I have individual questions.

White Plains rides with 2-3 ff's and an officer. 9 Companies - 5 Engines, 3 Ladders & 1 Rescue No volunteers ride or go to alarms in the City of White Plains. Trans Care is EMS

Port Chester runs two carreer engines. Engines 58 and 59. 58 is staffed with two men and 59 with one. However with time off, 58 mostly runs with one man.

as simple as i can make it

NRFD: 5 engines - 3 staffed 1 officer and 3 ff's

- 2 staffed 1 officer and 2 ff's

3 ladder's - 3 members on each may or may not have an officer

1 shift command vehicle - 2 members - 1 deputy chief / 1 aide

minimum total on duty 29 members

heavy rescue not manned on a regular basis

ems - transcare - 3 als buses

no vollies

Mamaroneck village - 5 engines(1 spare), 2 ladders, 1 utility staffing is all volunteer and is dependant on who is in town. manpower will try to get to the houses but if rigs are out they respond to the scene. average response is approx 10-15 personnel.

Mamaroneck village - 5 engines(1 spare), 2 ladders, 1 utility staffing is all volunteer and is dependant on who is in town. manpower will try to get to the houses but if rigs are out they respond to the scene. average response is approx 10-15 personnel.

Sorry, I thought that the Village had some career jakes, thats why I said Mamaroneck(s). Does the town have career staffing?

1 career firefighter on the tower ladder

2 career firefighters on the first due engine

The other 2 engines and the rescue are driven by the volunteers.

Edited by HFD750

Port Chester runs two carreer engines. Engines 58 and 59. 58 is staffed with two men and 59 with one. However with time off, 58 mostly runs with one man.

Have not been in touch with the Westchester scene for awhile now, just got verified, so I have a few questions...who does the dispatch for port chester now....60 full time? I know the paid guys used to in one house?

HFD do the career guys wait for volleys (If so how long do they wait?) or do the volleys respond to the scene?

Peekskill staffing is as follows:

24-25 Career

4 Engines - 1 Career per(2 FF/EMT's & 2 FF/Paramedics)

1 TL - 1 Career

1 Rescue - 1 Career per

180 Volunteers

Volunteers respond to scene

Our career staff provides a double service on the engines. On two of the engines a firefighetr/EMT provides BLS assistance for VAC when necessary. The other two engines staff a firefighter/paramedic providing coverage under the Peekskill/Cortlandt Regional Paramedics when necessary. Each of these two houses have a fly-car located in the house along with the engine.

The Montrose VA-

(3) 5 man shifts [currently 4 man shifts awaiting the probies] (All hazmat tech/FFII/EMT/confined space rescue)

(1) Career Chief

1 engine (e-225)

1 mini attack (ma-28)

1 BLS ambulance (48b1)

1 Hazmat/Decon truck (hazmat 3)

1 Rescue Boat (Marine 21)

Each shift is manned with an asst chief(OIC), lieutenant(MPO) and 3 FF's. there is no clean explanation for how we respond. if its a fire related call, the engine will roll with a full crew. If its an ems call on post, normally 2 FF's will respond with the ambulance but it doesnt transport outside of the VA. MA-28 often responds to the NYS nursing home to assist CVAC with 2 FF's. The boat and hazmat are special request will have 2 or 3 guys on it depending on the situation.

HFD do the career guys wait for volleys (If so how long do they wait?) or do the volleys respond to the scene?

Our career guy's don't wait nor are they expected to unless they know volunteers are in the building then they'll ring the bell. I have to say the career guy's are pretty good when it comes to that. Our members are not permitted to respond to the scene they are to respond to HQ where we have 2 more engines and a rescue which are manned by volunteers. If everything is out of the house then they(volunteers) can roll the utility with manpower(2 or more). And if that is gone and it's a working fire then they are allowed to go to the scene. Highway calls no POV's at all, no exceptions. I hope this answers your questions.

Dino

City of Rye:

1 Career LT/Fire Inspector, Monday-Friday schedule

16 Career Firefighters, 4 Workgroups, 24-on/72-off schedule

Minimum staffing at any time under normal conditions is 3 men on duty. (There are no female Career FF's at this time)

When at minimum staffing E-191, E-192 and L-25 each have one man assigned, and respond upon dispatch (Volunteer members and the 3 volunteer chiefs respond to the scene.) When 4 men are working, the additional FF is stationed at HQ and usually rides out on E-191.

Rye FD is not a first-responder to any medical calls, nor do we have a Rescue (Both front-line Engines have a full compliment of hydraulic extrication tools and related equipment).

Volunteer-staffed/Reserve apparatus are: E-193, E-194, L-26, U-39, U-49, Marine 3

City of Rye:

1 Career LT/Fire Inspector, Monday-Friday schedule

16 Career Firefighters, 4 Workgroups, 24-on/72-off schedule

Minimum staffing at any time under normal conditions is 3 men on duty. (There are no female Career FF's at this time)

When at minimum staffing E-191, E-192 and L-25 each have one man assigned, and respond upon dispatch (Volunteer members and the 3 volunteer chiefs respond to the scene.) When 4 men are working, the additional FF is stationed at HQ and usually rides out on E-191.

Rye FD is not a first-responder to any medical calls, nor do we have a Rescue (Both front-line Engines have a full compliment of hydraulic extrication tools and related equipment).

Volunteer-staffed/Reserve apparatus are: E-193, E-194, L-26, U-39, U-49, Marine 3

Back in the day did'nt the Ladder truck driver tone out the call and wait for a voulnteer tillerman to arrive to roll the ladder. Then 60 control took over dispatch? Does 60 control handle all the dispatch now? thanks guys be safe.

Back in the day did'nt the Ladder truck driver tone out the call and wait for a voulnteer tillerman to arrive to roll the ladder. Then 60 control took over dispatch? Does 60 control handle all the dispatch now? thanks guys be safe.

Yes, for several years that is exactly what happened. Now we don't have a tiller anymore, and we are completely dispatched by 60-Control.

Yes, for several years that is exactly what happened. Now we don't have a tiller anymore, and we are completely dispatched by 60-Control.

Several years? Long before you were born

Mount Vernon

5-Engines-2 FF

2-Trucks-3-FF

1-Rescue 1-FF

1-Battalion 1-FF

Officers-

4-Lt

1-Capt

1- DC

Officers jump depending on rig going out

Have been only running 4-engines much of the time, city does not bring in OT

Manning can be anywhere from 15-19 FF per tour.

Mount Vernon

5-Engines-2 FF

2-Trucks-3-FF

1-Rescue 1-FF

1-Battalion 1-FF

Officers-

4-Lt

1-Capt

1- DC

Officers jump depending on rig going out

Have been only running 4-engines much of the time, city does not bring in OT

Manning can be anywhere from 15-19 FF per tour.

How's it work with the Officers - one in each station?

Town of New Canaan, CT

24 career personell, working 6 per shift (24/72), one Captain Per Shift

Career Assistant Chief

Supplemented by approximately 30 volunteers on all calls(much less during the day as a problem everywhere)

Aproximately 1,000 calls per year with no medical.

1st due Engine- 4 on board, volunteers on board if at the firehouse before dispatch

2nd due Ladder, Tanker, or Rescue-2 on board, volunteers on board if at the firehouse before dispatch

3rd due-Career on call back or vols heading to the firehouse.

4th due-" "

5th due-" "

Volunteers are dispatched on all calls and each is assigned a "platoon night" in which they are expected to be available and show up for everything. Some will bunk up at the Firehouse. Volunteers may also respond to the scene.

Riding assignments are pre-determined to each seat on the rigs.

1- Volunteer Chief

2- A/C, 1 Career, 1 Vol

6-Captains, 4 Career, 2 Vol

3-LT's, vol...........soon adding 4 career LT's