Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlcougar2001

Norwalk/Westport: Truck Fire w/ Deckgun Use 7-26-07

34 posts in this topic

I95NB EXIT 17 FULLY INVOLVED TRUCK FIRE.

CLICK ON THE LINK AND WATCH THE VIDEO... ITS THE SECOUND VIDEO AND YOU HAVE TO WATCH A 7 SEC COMMERCIAL. DON'T GET FRUSTRATED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CLIP YOU WILL SEE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERYDAY.

http://www.wtnh.com/global/video/popup/pop...mp;rnd=91015528

http://www.wtnh.com/global/video/popup/pop...mp;rnd=33227891

I, aaaaa, I ammmm , ehem ehem ........SPEECHLESS!!!!!

ok lets see whats wrong here. deck gunning a truck fire from the wrong side of the highway and wait over moving traffic. Looks like a department needs more highway training, some more sop's, and yea some common sense too. also a big hazard, they could of caused a big accident if the water accidently hit one of the moving cars. anyone from westport on here that can answer one question for everyone, and that question is why?

This is on I-95 NB by Exit 17 in Westport, CT (between Bridgeport and Norwalk).

Does anyone know which department this may have been? Perhaps someone here could explain attack choice- could have been a variety of reasons, I'd like to learn more.

do you have anyother sources for this video, that link will not work!

Yah, me too, I cant get the video to play....any other links?

I was at this incident. We responded eastbound with Engine's 3 & 4. Upon our arrival Wesport engine's 2 & 4 were westbound on scene flowing a deck gun knocking down the fire. When we pulled up there were no cars going through the area were they were flowing water. I dont know if that is Westport's SOP. I am not sure if anyone here is from Westport. Only they can let us know what ther SOP's are.

Could this be the incident:

Posted in EMTBravo CT IA:

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=19537

Although I've never seen it done before, I know it could take a while to get an Engine on scene at that location.....by using the deckgun instead of circling around, Westport FD may have saved the cargo of that trailer from going up in flames, possibly creating an even more hazardous situation.

I saw the pictures of this on wtnh's website earlier and I was very curious as to why they were doing that. The idea of saving the cargo is an interesting concept....I hope we can get a real answer.

I want to try this sometime.....LoL

Cops were in place controling traffic, why not stretch a hose line? The hose should have reached and would not have wasted water like the deck gun did.

Regardless, good knockdown.

I applaude the OIC on this one.. Given the circumstances (traffic, access to scene, companies enroute) he adapted to what he had. Nice way to think out of the box!!! Initially PD hadnt shut down the roadway, but once the water flowed they shut it down.. good call!!!

I was at this incident. We responded eastbound with Engine's 3 & 4. Upon our arrival Wesport engine's 2 & 4 were westbound on scene flowing a deck gun knocking down the fire. When we pulled up there were no cars going through the area were they were flowing water. I dont know if that is Westport's SOP. I am not sure if anyone here is from Westport. Only they can let us know what ther SOP's are.

Westport FD SOP would dictate that the engine would continue to exit 16 and then turn northbound. The action taken here is an example of firefighters making split second decisions based on the situation, not just words in a book. I have also used this tactic in the past under the similar conditions. The traffic northbound was shut down by CT State police and Norwalk PD allowing for an unobstructed master stream attack for a quick knock down of the fire and gave the engines from Norwalk FD time to navigate traffic and get closer to the scene. The firefighters used this tactic to protect the exposure of the trailer and at that time its unknown contents. As their shift commander I support their actions under these conditions. If traffic was not stopped, and no threat to life existed, then following the SOP would be expected.

I was working on Norwalk E3 today and I was one of the first due NFD companies on the scene and I admit that I did a double-take when I saw a master stream flowing from a Westport Engine deck gun from the southbound lanes. When we arrived, the road was shut down by Connecticut State Police (one of the reasons for the Norwalk FD delay in arrival). Westport did not put anyone in danger by doing that maneuver and they saved us a lot of time and sweat by not letting the fire expose the cargo.

I attached 3 pictures of the tractor as it appeared when the fire was knocked down.

I posted a gallery on www.local830.org if you are interested in seeing more of this incident.

post-4500-1185492069.jpg

post-4500-1185492081.jpg

post-4500-1185492097.jpg

Westport FD SOP would dictate that the engine would continue to exit 16 and then turn northbound. The action taken here is an example of firefighters making split second decisions based on the situation, not just words in a book. I have also used this tactic in the past under the similar conditions. The traffic northbound was shut down by CT State police and Norwalk PD allowing for an unobstructed master stream attack for a quick knock down of the fire and gave the engines from Norwalk FD time to navigate traffic and get closer to the scene. The firefighters used this tactic to protect the exposure of the trailer and at that time its unknown contents. As their shift commander I support their actions under these conditions. If traffic was not stopped, and no threat to life existed, then following the SOP would be expected.

Bill...

You have our support on your decision for what it is worth...although it would have been nice to see more fire on arrival...

not sure if anybody thought of this one. But could they have used the deck gun because they were afraid of gas tank explosions? Maybe they didnt know what was in the trailer?

If anybody knows what it was carrying, could you tell me?

The truck was carry a full load of furniture.

Wow, EXCELLENT information and insight into this incident!!! It's threads like these why this board is here. Thanks to those members who shared their knowledge of the incident with us here.

Smart, premeptive high flow strike that helped to save the who-knows-what-at-the-time contents of the trailer and possibly a bigger incident. Much like an Airport Crash truck would do.

not sure if anybody thought of this one. But could they have used the deck gun because they were afraid of gas tank explosions? Maybe they didnt know what was in the trailer?

If anybody knows what it was carrying, could you tell me?

I don't ever recall a gas or fuel tank explosion at a vehicle fire. I would think that is only in the movies. You can get a ruptured tank and fuel spill but most of the time the gas caps melt or the fill tubes melt and relieve the pressure. Good thought though.

I think what impressed me the most was how much water was flowing. How many gallons do they carry to support a master stream for that period of time. I kind of like the move by "thinking out of the box" as the chief said and knowing you have other resources coming from the opposite direction to finish of the job.

Personally I think it was a smart choice... with that trafic there was no telling how long it would take going around... my hats off to the crew for taken a chance... at a structure fire years ago, our tanker showed up with flames blowing out most of the windows, the residence were away and command was still trying to come up with a plan with the 2 units on scene, so our tanker was approved to open our deck gu and dump 3000 gallons of water into the house... knocked down most of the fire....

some time you have to try a different approach, pulling hand lines over the jersey wall, and having men climb over ??? wow, safety, what if someone fell while going over the wall ? and who many times do we have the road shut down, when the BMW can not wait and blows through the stopping point ? with the smoke, firefighters may of gotten killed...

so, unless your there, try to see it in the eyes of the guys on the scene......

Next ADV or car fire I have, I'm calling in the JFK or LaGuardia Crash Truck..........They can put it out from the cab and we can all go home, without having to step a foot on the highway.......... :rolleyes:

Wow, EXCELLENT information and insight into this incident!!! It's threads like these why this board is here. Thanks to those members who shared their knowledge of the incident with us here.

Smart, premeptive high flow strike that helped to save the who-knows-what-at-the-time contents of the trailer and possibly a bigger incident. Much like an Airport Crash truck would do.

I agree with ya, Seth. I shudder when I hear of a tractor trailer fire. Makes me think of an incident, I believe occurred in Pennsylvania, but exactly where, I can't remember. What I can remember is that it was a working fire, with no available info as to contents. The trailer exploded and not only killed most members of the fires due Department, but also totally destroyed all of their apparatus. That's why I think, unless there was some prior knowledge of contents, this was a good move.

When I posted this it was because I've never seen seen it before therefore making it unique and I in know way fault someone for getting the job done. And from the pictures the norwalk guy took they saved the load.

I think the OIC did the right thing good call boss I now have a new tool in my tool box. knock it down and let the next due finsh it off.

One thing everyone is losing sight of, including me, is that this is a big pile of garbage burning in the middle of a highway with no exposures whatsoever. The driver was out long before it became a conflagration. I would have applauded westport if they threw dirt on it from across the highway!!! Anyway, we as a service have to know when it is a matter of life or death to get intimate with a scene, and a car or truck fire with no life involved is NOT an intimate scene.

I think and hope that this should end any more "armchair quarterbacking" on what happened here, although I definitely enjoy the discussion as it makes this call more educating for all of us.

Great points Seth, these forums are great for sharing knowledge and information! I am glad I can add good info when I have it.

Joe Coppola

I was surprised to see the attack method myself ....I thought it worked pretty well considering the situation. The deck gun ran for quite a long time..... Their aim wasn't too bad either..... I suspect they were using a small tip for reach and it also reduced GPM thus the longer run time ..... How did it put people in danger? Don't you think it was far more dangerous to let the traffic go by as it was burning ? What it one of the split-rings on the tire let loose as a vehicle was near? or a FF for that matter...... Some people are way to critical and I don't think anyone owes us an explanation..... They successfully knocked the fire down using an unconventional method (in some peoples minds) and it worked......... They may have prevented a much greater problem by "blitzing" the cab and preventing the trailer from burning and made it a lot easier and safer for the attack crews w/ hand lines when they were finally able to get access from the same lane....... How long would have the road been closed or what risks would have the FF's been under if the trailer went too? As said prior, That's thinking outside of the box..... Good job in my book ......Just my $.02

great move - very outside the box thinking - I wish more fire officer's thought like this!!!

nobody was hurt, fire went out

EVERYONE WENT HOME

be safe out there!