Time:1520 hrs

Where: 901 Main St. Peekskill

Senior Housing

Description: Working fire

Peekskill full response

Mohegan FASTeam to the scene.

Bat 10 to the scene

Edited by RWC130

Isn't that right across the street from a Peekskill Station? You guys are combination or all paid?

IT is right across from police station

It is located on the SE corner of Main & Nelson. Police station across the street on Nelson, Station 6 (ladder) is about 500' feet to the west on Main St. City Hall is diagonal on the NW corner of Main & Nelson.

PFD is a combo department with 24 Career and about 180 volunteers.

Peekskill cops save elderly woman from apartment fire

By TERENCE CORCORAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: July 31, 2007)

Peekskill -Three Peekskill police officers are being hailed as heroes this afternoon for saving an elderly woman from an apartment fire that broke out across the street from the police station.

Ltn. Cathy Johansen and officers John Bennett and John Kolesar raced across to the building at 901 Main St. and into the woman's second floor apartment but when they opened the door to take her out, smoke from the hallway came pouring in. They closed the door and waited for city firefighters to get a ladder up to a window on the building's east side. They then handed the small, frail tenant out the window to firefighters.

"She probably would have died if they didn't get to her," said Det. Charles Wassil.

All three police officers were being treated for smoke inhalation in the back of an ambulance at the scene at roughly 3:30 today.

The fire started in a first floor apartment in the building that houses seniors and sits on top of the Nelson Avenue parking garage. The cause was not immediately known.

Read more about this story tomorrow in The Journal News

PFD165,

It is located on the SE corner of Main & Nelson. Police station across the street on Nelson, Station 6 (ladder) is about 500' feet to the west on Main St. City Hall is diagonal on the NW corner of Main & Nelson.

PFD is a combo department with 24 Career and about 180 volunteers.

Had a long day? :blink:

Station 1: Cortlandt Hook & Ladder 828 Main Street (TL45)

Station 6: Centennial Hose 701 Washington Street (E130)

I figured you meant Station 1. LOL

Not to take anything away from the police officers, but I think the Fire Department should be hailed more then the cops. We see time and time again PD putting themselves in danger or just plain getting in the way, they have no PPE. I was not at the fire, I am not taking anything away from the Police Officers here, but this brings out something to discuss.

Anyway back to the main point of this discussion good job Peekskill!

Edited by JustSomeGuy

Not to take anything away from the police officers, but I think the Fire Department should be hailed more then the cops. We see time and time again PD putting themselves in danger or just plain getting in the way, they have no PPE. I was not at the fire, I am not taking anything away from the Police Officers here, but this brings out something to discuss.

Anyway back to the main point of this discussion good job Peekskill!

No one should be "hailed" more than the other person. Both departments did their job and saved lives, and in the end, thats whats most important.

I understand how some fire departments frown upon the police or even sometimes civilians who make the "saves" (believe me, I know, been there), but its the PD's and the FD's job to save lives. You cant expect the police officers who are RIGHT THERE, to just sit back and watch some elders suffer. Sure, they took a risk, but I feel they did the right thing. Good job to ALL OF Peekskill's members.

Thanks RWC! I did mean station 1, just partial to station 6 :P

You cant expect the police officers who are RIGHT THERE, to just sit back and watch some elders suffer.

Sure, they took a risk, but I feel they did the right thing.

EXACTLY!!!

GOOD JOB TO ALL:

-Peekskill FD

-Peekskill PD

-Peekskill EMS

And... The Mutual Aid FD & EMS!

Peekskill officers race into burning building, save elderly woman

By TERENCE CORCORAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: August 1, 2007)

PEEKSKILL - Several police officers were being hailed as heroes yesterday after they raced into a senior-citizen complex on Main Street and saved a woman from a fire by handing her to other officers who had put a ladder to her second-floor window.

"She probably would have died if they didn't get to her," said Detective Charles Wassil, who was among the officers who raced across the street from the police station to the Peekskill Plaza Apartments at Main Street and Nelson Avenue and hoisted a ladder they found in a supply closet to the woman's apartment.

Officer Greg Jones suffered a broken foot after he kicked in a door. Jones was taken to the Hudson Valley Hospital Center by ambulance after being treated at the complex for smoke inhalation. Several others also were treated there for smoke inhalation, including Lt. Cathy Johansen and Officers John Esposito, John Kolesar, Liz Folch and John Bennett.

The fire, which forced five tenants from their homes, started around 3:30 p.m. in the complex at 901-907 Main St. The part of the brick complex that faces Main Street has eight stories while the rear of it, which sits on top of the two-level Nelson Avenue parking garage, has two stories.

Johansen said she was talking with a woman on Nelson Avenue when the woman noticed flames shooting from a first-floor rear apartment facing Nelson Avenue. Officers Bennett and Kolesar were nearby and also saw the fire. The three raced to the building, followed by several other officers.

The officers ran into a center courtyard in back of the building and began banging on doors to get people out. Once they realized the burning first-floor unit was empty, they worked on getting other apartments evacuated. They ran to a unit above the burning one.

Johansen, Bennett and Kolesar got inside and were about to bring the woman out when they opened the door to a stairwell filled with smoke and flames. That's when they decided to close the door and wait for help.

Kolesar and Bennett said it was becoming a difficult situation as the apartment started filling with smoke. But the officers maintained their composure while Jones, Folch, Esposito and Detectives Ralph D'Aliso and Wassil raised the ladder.

The officers inside the apartment then handed the woman to the officers on the ladder before getting out themselves. The woman was not identified.

Afterward, Esposito downplayed the rescue efforts, saying, "It's a good day because no one got seriously hurt."

But Detective Sgt. Eric Johansen, Peekskill's police spokesman, said the officers did "a phenomenal job."

Peekskill Fire Chief John Pappas said his firefighters arrived to see smoke and flames shooting out a sliding-glass door of the burning unit that faces Nelson Avenue. They attacked the fire from Nelson Avenue, as well as from the rear courtyard, and had it extinguished in less than 30 minutes.

Pappas said the Westchester County Cause and Origin Team is investigating the fire, but that it did not appear to be of suspicious origin.

Red Cross spokeswoman Carolyn Sherwin said agency officials were providing three nights of local lodging to the displaced tenants as well as food and clothing. The city's Office of Emergency Management transported the residents.

Peekskill firefighters got mutual aid from Buchanan, Continental Village and Mohegan Lake, which sent its FAST team.

Amelia Washington, who has lived in the complex 19 years, said she was on Bank Street when she saw the black smoke and came home. Washington said she first thought the unit from which the officers saved the woman was vacant but was relieved to hear its occupant had been rescued.

I knew as soon as I read this in the Journal News that the discussion would come up about cops in buildings etc. I agree, no one, cop, firefighter or civilian should be expected to stand there and watch someone if they can do something. And anyone who WOULD stand there and not put some sort of effort into it (without killing themselves) should find a new job! We are all in this game to save lives and property, not to "get out of the way" or stand and watch. I commend all involved, im sure it was a TEAM effort by all three emergency services of Peekskill.

This article gives more detail, then the previous. Anyway glad to see everyone got out, and hopefully a speedy recovery to the officer with a broken foot.

Too many times we see would be rescuers becoming victims, obivously if a life can be immediately saved it should be. But its important to stay grounded and think things through clearly in an emergency, not creating more work for rescuers. Again not knocking ANYONE at this scene and glad to see that everyone got out alive. Good job brothers and sisters :)

Thanks to everyone for updating this incident a bit. As i was posting it at my firehouse, we got paged out to the fire and i had to get going.

Personally, the issue of the PPD members doing what they did is a dead issue. As stated, they were there, accross the street & they responded and went into action, as is their job, just like firefighters! Maybe they dont have proper fire training and maybe they didnt have proper PPE, put they saved a life regardless, placing their own lives in immediate danger.

I happen to have the pleasure of knowing most of the officers involved, and they are all outstanding & aggressive in all that they do. Congrats to the PPD on a job well done, hell of a knock-down by the PFD & mutual-aid and kudos to all EMS on scene who assisted residents and MOS on such a hot, humid day!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Officer Jones!

Thanks to everyone for updating this incident a bit. As i was posting it at my firehouse, we got paged out to the fire and i had to get going.

Personally, the issue of the PPD members doing what they did is a dead issue. As stated, they were there, accross the street & they responded and went into action, as is their job, just like firefighters! Maybe they dont have proper fire training and maybe they didnt have proper PPE, put they saved a life regardless, placing their own lives in immediate danger.

I happen to have the pleasure of knowing most of the officers involved, and they are all outstanding & aggressive in all that they do. Congrats to the PPD on a job well done, hell of a knock-down by the PFD & mutual-aid and kudos to all EMS on scene who assisted residents and MOS on such a hot, humid day!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Officer Jones!

I agree. This should be a dead issue. As has been stated many times in many threads, Police officers are sworn to protect life and property. PPD did just that. To me this sounds like a job well done by ALL involved. PPD was first on scene, saw a life in danger and took action, a life saved. period.

nuff said!

The overall outcome was a positive one and that is the first priority.

As far as PD and fires...they are emergency service providers and they have the same protection and response mindset as anyone else that is in any other disicpline. I see and read just as much as off duty firefighters doing the same thing so whats the problem. Several of those officers who were on that scene are close personal friends of mine and did nothing other then try to ensure that everyone was out.

Jonsey...mojito's on the deck?

Not to take away from this specific incident, but we had a drowning call a couple weeks ago and a Police Officer jumped in the river to make the grab. Him and a civilian are credited with getting the guy out. When it happened there were family members of the victim there who could not swim, so I can't fault them for not trying. But what really got to me was the residents in the area that knew what was going on and did NOTHING. It's those that are sworn to protect, whether cops, firefighters or EMS, who you will never stand idle when someone is in a time of need.

I have to throw my 2 cents (does anyone have change) in here.

Everyone is saying " i know them" or " They are good friends of mine" we also , as part of web site for learning, talk alot about "what if's" and "it could happen".

If this had happen in in the middle of nowhere, Michigan we would be all over those officers for putting themselves in danger which in turn puts a fire fighter in danger as we all have in the past. That fire could have turned to CRAP real fast and we all know it. Peekskill FD could have pulled out 4 trapped people if the crap did hit the fan and fortunately it worked out for everyone.

We are all sworn to protect life and property but you wouldn't see a fire fighter pulling out a hand gun and rushing into a hostage crisis prior to PD's arrival or you wouldn't see a fire fighter chasing down a speeder down 684 because we know he/she will end up killing someone because we aren't trained for any of that.

How many of us had pulled up to a house fire and Police officers are either running out gagging or on all fours puking because they took to much smoke and there was no life danger?

all I am trying to say is one day " those good friends of ours" aren't going to make it out...

Sorry for the little rant!

Edited by DOC22
Edited To correct spelling and grammer errors

Not to take away from this specific incident, but we had a drowning call a couple weeks ago and a Police Officer jumped in the river to make the grab. Him and a civilian are credited with getting the guy out. When it happened there were family members of the victim there who could not swim, so I can't fault them for not trying. But what really got to me was the residents in the area that knew what was going on and did NOTHING. It's those that are sworn to protect, whether cops, firefighters or EMS, who you will never stand idle when someone is in a time of need.

Well said, i agree.

Everyone is saying " i know them" or " They are good friends of mine" we also , as part of web site for learning, talk alot about "what if's" and "it could happen".

If this had happen in in the middle of nowhere, Michigan we would be all over those officers for putting themselves in danger which in turn puts a fire fighter in danger as we all haev in the past. That fire could have turned to CRAP real fast and we all know it. Peekskill FD could have pulled out 4 trapped people if the crap did hit the fan and fortanetly it worked out for everyone.

We are all sworn to protect life and property but you wouldn't see a fire fighter pulling out a hand gun and rushing into a hostage crisis prior to PD's arrival or you wouldn't see a fire fighter chasing down a speeder down 684 because we know he/she will end up killing someone because we aren't trained for any of that.

How many of us had pulled up to a house fire and Police officers are either running out gagging or on all fours puking because they took to much smoke and there was no life danger?

all I am trying to say is one day " those good friends of ours" aren't going to make it out...

Sorry for the litttle rant!

I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought this way :)

If this had happen in in the middle of nowhere, Michigan we would be all over those officers for putting themselves in danger which in turn puts a fire fighter in danger as we all have in the past. That fire could have turned to CRAP real fast and we all know it. Peekskill FD could have pulled out 4 trapped people if the crap did hit the fan and fortunately it worked out for everyone.

First, I'm a professinal, so friends or no friends I spoke from what I feel and know. If they were in Michigan I still wouldn't have changed much of what I said. As far as going into buildings with no life safety comment, what is any different from us going into the same building putting firefighters lives at risk when no life safety issue is present. Maybe one day one of them won't make it out, don't we all know that every time we click or regulators in but guess what we make a conscious decision just like them. If my house is burning and I'm at work, I could give a rat's a** who might run in to make sure my kids are out. If you really don't like it that much, take the PD test get hired, get promoted and then change things so it doesn't happen.

The whole argument about not seeing a firefighter chasing a speeder or pulling out a gun is weak. Sounds like a 3 year old this is my toy argument. They are basically just like us, just different discipline as I've said. If some are really that worried about, increase staffing to reduce response times or staff us better and we will go on patrol with our apparatus so we can be closer to anything that comes our way. And if some of you must know, there are EMS providers out there, many who are fire service based that work with the PD as tactical medics, so there are some out there who are working with them to get the bad guys and increase their safety and the publics.

There isn't a firefighter on this board that would have walked by that building and just waited for the FD to show up. Anyone of you would have gone as far in as you could before being chased out by heat and smoke. Personally I'd rather see three officers and a couple of residents treated and released than have to drag out those residents and have to resuscitate them.

We are all emergancy service providers. EMS, PD and FD. When there is a possibility of life involved to quote from his seminars (Billy Goldfeder) "when there is the possibility of someone being trapped the rules go out the window as we go in"" The PPD members were there They looked at the situation and did what any of us would do even if we did not have gear. Went into action. Can anyone here with FF training say if they came upon a burning structure, they call it in and they would just wait outside because they do not have PPE? We'd all go into action period. Maybe we have a little more training in SAR but we'd all run in. Its what we do. Life involved, we bend and break the rules. I've been there and done it. How many others have? Its no different. Forget the turf wars. The members of PPD did a great job in a tight situation while help was coming.

I have to agree with the last couple of posts. Comparing a fire to a man with a gun just ain't the same. You cannot negotiate with fire...it will keep burning til someone puts it out. Getting someone out that is in imminent danger is very important and putting your body in the way of harm needs to be well thought out but very very quickly. It the gain worth the risk. If the fire had consumed the room the person was in then no it would not be worth it, but if not then saving someone's life is the 1st goal. Life then property. In the other case, a hostage situation can be mitigated by properly trained personnel. Yes it may take time but in a hostage situation you usually have more time than in a fire. If they are holding hostages and not just killing and running, they are obviously torn about something and can be managed. Fire will burn regardless, it has no conscience. Two completely different scenarios. I know that I would have run in as long as the exit was clear to save someone else's life and I believe that every human has this instinct somewhere inside of them. PPD did an excellent job, so did the State Troopers a few weeks ago! I am tired of hearing the FD side bash the PD side especially when the cops put out a fire with an extinguisher before FD arrives cause they were around the corner and got their first!

GOOD JOB TO PPD!!! They did there job. Thats all that matters. Good job to PFD for getting a quick knock on it and not losing the whole building. Its nice to hear some good news for a change about the city i use to run in.

Tommy Mac- I can send some hoop cheese up there so you can give it to all the WHINERS! :P

Edited by HCFRFF

Send it up brotha!! I've already got plenty of wine.

On a side note...the living room in the apartment flashed right about the time the FD arrived causing the PD colleagues to have that period of stress. The apartment held much of the heat during the intial attack, there wasn't anything that wasn't burnt to the floor in that living room. It was definately not very comfortable for the first few seconds on the knees and that was even after I gave it a good blast in front of me. The heat signature on the walls was from floor to ceiling. Good job by C & O also, they had a bit of shoveling to do but Eric and Pete did a great job finding that cause very efficiently.