Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Classic Mack Trucks (White)

21 posts in this topic

Thanks to BFD182 for helping me get these pictures.

On Sunday I went to the Belltown volunteer fire department in Stamford CT. I love Mack rigs and the fact that these trucks are white just added to me wanting to get them and add them to my collection. These two rigs are still in excellent condition.

post-1726-1186012845.jpg

post-1726-1186012877.jpg

Edited by nutty1

Good photos. Thank you for sharing.-Duane

Any idea on the age of the trucks? The engine is a real beauty with the gold trim--makes me feel like a kid again. My hometown still has the white Mack engine from when I was a kid. We all called her "Snow White". Really unique.

You'll like Hose Company #3 in Bogota, NJ. Their last two engines have been white Macks: a 1965 Mack with a 1,000 GPM pump and a 1985 Mack also with a 1,000 GPM pump. Scroll down on the "History" section of the company's Web site for a photo of each engine:

History of BFD Hose Company #3

Each of the four companies in the Department decides the paint scheme of their apparatus. One engine is all red, the second engine is white over red, the third engine is all white (mentioned above) and the 1993 E-One ladder truck is also white:

BFD Hook & Ladder

Holy %$#@! Belltown pictures on EMT Bravo...

This was my vollie dept. back in the day. The Aerialscope is a 1972 Mack CF-900 that was assigned as TL 157 in Brooklyn. BFD bought it and had it refurbed by Baker in Virginia. After about 20 years of pretty active use, it was rusting to all hell so we found a company called Interstate Truck who had a brand new in the crate CF cab sitting in their shop in Haggerstown, VA. We hopped on it and had the truck totally repowered and refurbed with an automatic transmission and all new hydraulics to the boom. It was also enclosed at that time. Funny story...I went to Haggerstown with some other members to drive it back and the idiots did not put a new cooling system in the bigger motor so it overheated and we had to have it towed back to their shop after about an hour of travel back to CT. Anyway, we used it for many more years and again, the thing starting rusting and generally falling apart. Interstate did a very expensive band aid job, thats it. Recently, Belltown sent the truck out again, I think to Saulsbury to have all the boom hydraulics done again, to the tune of over 50K. They also did some body work on the truck etc. to get it back to being NFPA compliant. It is still in service and rolling to calls in the north districts of Stamford. I know this truck inside and out, it is my favorite fire apparatus bar none. When they finally sell it, I really hope that I have a place to store it so I can buy it!

The pump is a 1982 Mack CF-900 built by Rescue Systems International (RSI) which is now out of business. E-42 is a real gem...smooth to drive and great to pump. It is a second due piece for BFD now, they recently (2004) bought a Spartan-Smeal (JUNK! JUNK! JUNK!) that is their 1st due rig for in district box alarms and EMS/Rescue. It has a 1000 GPM Waterous pump and a 750 Gal. tank on it. I had just joined BFD when it came in in 1986. Stamford bought a few RSI Macks that year, Springdale E-53, Stamford E1 and E4 were RSI CF's too. They were ok I guess, no major problems.

BFD's other rigs in the fleet are R44 which is a 1994? Marion walk in box on a International Chassis (pretty nice rig, although I was on the truck committee and I was fighting for a Mack MR type like Noroton Heights' nice looking rescue (R25). We were always a Mack house, until they bought the sh$%box from Smeal...ruined a good thing...

Anyway, I will look through my collection and scan some older stuff from BFD, I have a lot, as I am 3rd generation in this place, good stuff was passed down.

Hope this helps to enlighten you all...

Joe C.

Check these out, these were in my collection that I just found...

The chevy is a 1978??? E-One

The older looking rescue is a dodge, I think from the 60's

The pump is a 1969 mack C-700 open top...I rode this baby to many calls as a probie. As a matter of fact, the first time I ever had to lay a double-feeder, I did it on old E41

post-4500-1186019945.jpg

post-4500-1186020113.jpg

post-4500-1186020126.jpg

Here is a shot of my engine E-3 in Bogota NJ Bergen Co. This is a 1985 Mack/LTI 1250gpm with 500 gals of H2O. Soon to be replaced with in a year.

post-1209-1186020049.jpg

The pump is a 1969 mack C-700 open top...I rode this baby to many calls as a probie. As a matter of fact, the first time I ever had to lay a double-feeder, I did it on old E41

In these pictures, in the background, you can see old E43 which was a 1976 Mack MB-700 which we just got rid of when new 41 came in. Also, in the background on E41 is a 1962 Mack B-model which was also there when I was a JR. member...I am showing my age...

Nice shots!! Reminds me of E-11 before they painted it, I forgot how good it looked white.

Edited by HFD750

The Aerialscope is a 1972 Mack CF-900 It is still in service and rolling to calls in the north districts of Stamford.

Joe C.

45 Truck has seen a lot of fire duty over the years in the city of Stamford.

If you were at most any major fire in recent years of in Stamford, you would have seen that Aerialscope doing what it does best.

post-6846-1186064640.jpg

T45 was operating in Glenbrook last night to remove a person from a roof who had some kind of panic attack and refused to climb down. I wasn't there but I imagine he appreciated that bucket. As for the most recent refurb, we had new completely new controls installed, some hydraulic lines replaced, the hydraulic pump replaced, as well as the body work mentioned above. The truck now has a brand new turntable , and joystick in the bucket. All the work was again done by ITE in Maryland. As for E-42 its an excellent rig, I'm training to drive/pump it now and it always run great.

Also, Here's a a pic of 45 operating at a trailer fire at KLHT school in Springdale a few weeks ago. The trailer was full of roofing material.

KLHT45.jpg

Edited by BFD196

Bogota Engine 3 my favorite piece from bogota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will surely be missed Hope they are staying all white

Joe - the top is a 60ish Chevy/GMC Apache series. The lower is 70-80 or so Chevy/GMC

Joe - the top is a 60ish Chevy/GMC Apache series. The lower is 70-80 or so Chevy/GMC

The newer chevy is a 1980 Silverado 30 series. It was built by E-1 and it was the first apparatus I ever drove.

JC

It was brought to my attention that a member of this network has information contrary to what I posted about the history of BFD Tower Ladder 45. He informed me that he has undisputeable proof that this rig served as TL-138 (Corona Tigers) in the FDNY and not TL-157. I guess I can't argue with facts, its just wierd because the day of the wetdown, several members from Ladder 157 attended to see the work that was done to restore it for BFD. One of the guys from that company gave us a copy of Fire Engineering with a cover shot of TL-157 working at multiple alarm fire in Brooklyn. It was given to my father and he gave it to me and I still have it in my collection...It is sad to come to the realization that the cover that I cherished for so many years is not what I originally though it was.

Oh well...

I believe a stamford cop purchased the 69 open top, it was at bills auto body in darien for a while.

:D:D well some true classics.im big mack fan those are some great pictures of the tower ladder at a fire. Edited by pentax02839

The story I have always heard is that the TL-157 designation was because when Belltown bought the rig there was a roster from that company in the cab. Not to long ago someone researched the VIN and found out it had actually served TL-138. So the roster may have been from a time when it was covering as a reserve truck. Based on the information at the time, the members of TL-157 were invited to the wetdown, and they were nice enough to bring the picture.

As for the 1963 open cab C-85, it is indeed owned by a Stamford Police Officer who is working on its restoration. He brought it down to our Block Party last year.