Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jps385

Putnam Legislature votes to cut ALS

98 posts in this topic

It is disgusting that the donut story was printed in the Journal News, complete with photos, but there's been no mention of the impending loss of ALS.

A few comments and thoughts...

I know of no law that compels or requires a municipality to provide any level of EMS. It merely states that a municipality may provide EMS... (General Municipal Law Section 122-B.)

However, since Putnam did provide ALS and is now discontinuing that service, there may be an argument that they created a standard that they're now not meeting. Perhaps a legal type can weigh in on this argument. The only problem is I don't think you can bring suit against the county unless you suffered a loss as a result of the County's actions/inactions.

According to the 2006 Annual Report from the Putnam County Bureau of Emergency Service, the ALS provider responded to 4400 calls last year. There is no breakdown of ALS or BLS but you can bet that about 1100 people had some level of ALS intervention. Next year that could mean 1100 people with more pain, longer hospital stays, worse outcomes, and even more mortality as a result of the Legislature's flawed logic.

As for Empire State canceling the contract, I don't fault them for cutting their losses and running. I do blame them for agreeing to do the work at a loss and grossly misrepresenting the costs of the service they provide. Any EMS provider in this day and age who low-balls bids for the sake of landing a contract and hoping that they break even or turn a profit is out of their freakin' mind! Hospitals are closing, burn centers are closing, and the Medicare and HMO reimbursements are continuing to decline - what makes them think they're going to do better???

If you're a volunteer, resident, or even just a concerned neighbor who drives through Putnam, it is time to start educating your constituents, friends and neighbors, that come 10/1, the level of care is going to drop in Putnam County! This is not a slam on the BLS crews, simply a way of making it sound more ominous to the uninformed. People need to know about this and how it may affect them.

I'm all for a countywide ALS service but the BS politics and budget antics every year has to stop. Putnam County should create a countywide ambulance district for the purpose of providing advanced life support. This district should appear SEPARATELY and DISTINCTLY on your tax bill (mucht he same way a fire district does) so you know that it is only $5.00 per person and you KNOW that the money is only going to the ALS program. It is very inexpensive insurance and even at $10 per person, less than a dollar a month, you could probably have FIVE medic units covering the county to further reduce response times.

A true EMS professional should be hired to administer it who is accountable to the PUBLIC and beholden to noone (yeah, lots of luck on this one I know!). Medics should be employees of the ALS district to give them more security and stability, too! As a stand-alone district, the ALS funds can't be diverted to golf courses or horse farms either!

Unless a VAC or FD EMS agency coughs up some of their own money to support BLS transport service, this service should be ALS ONLY! There is no reason why taxpayers in Putnam Valley or Philipstown should be subsidizing BLS ambulances in Brewster and Mahopac when they can't get a crew out.

What happened to the Putnam County EMS Council? Though they carry no authority to make demands of the County, they certainly have a voice that should be resounding right about now? Where is the Bureau of Emergency Services to highlight how valuable ALS is? Why aren't we hearing more about this?

Finally, if anyone would like to share info (not details and nothing identifiable) about a call that they're familiar with that benefited from ALS, I'd like to incorporate such anecdotes in my letters to the County Executive and Legislators. You know almost 20 years ago I (along with several others) lobbied the Legislature in the hopes that they might start providing ALS in the County and I'm starting to get a terrible feeling of deja vu!

The actual text of GML 122-B regarding ambulance service:

§ 122-b. General ambulance services. 1. Any county, city, town or

village, acting individually or jointly, may provide an emergency

medical service, a general ambulance service or a combination of such

services for the purpose of providing prehospital emergency medical

treatment or transporting sick or injured persons found within the

boundaries of the municipality to a hospital, clinic, sanatorium or

other place for treatment of such illness or injury, and for that

purpose may:

(a) Acquire by gift or purchase one or more motor vehicles suitable

for such purpose and supply and equip the same with such materials and

facilities as it may consider necessary for prehospital emergency

treatment, and may operate, maintain, repair and replace such vehicles

and such supplies and equipment;

(b.) Contract with one or more individuals, municipal corporations,

associations, or other organizations, having sufficient trained and

experienced personnel, for operation, maintenance and repair of such

emergency medical service or ambulance vehicles and for the furnishing

of prehospital emergency treatment;

© Contract with one or more individuals, municipal corporations,

associations, or other organizations to supply, staff and equip

emergency medical service or ambulance vehicles suitable for such

purposes and operate such vehicles for the furnishing of prehospital

emergency treatment;

(d) Employ any combination of the methods authorized in paragraph (a),

(b.) or ©;

(e) No contract shall be entered into pursuant to the provisions of

this section for the services of an emergency rescue and first aid squad

of a fire department or fire company which is subject to the provisions

of section two hundred nine-b of the general municipal law;

(f) Consider prehospital emergency treatment as that care provided by

certified emergency medical technicians or certified advanced emergency

medical technicians certified pursuant to the provisions of article

thirty of the public health law.

1-a. As used in this section:

(a) "Emergency medical technician" means an individual who meets the

minimum requirements established by regulations pursuant to section

three thousand two of the public health law and who is responsible for

administration or supervision of initial emergency medical assistance

and handling and transportation of sick, disabled or injured persons.

(b.) "Advanced emergency medical technician" means an emergency medical

technician who has satisfactorily completed an advanced course of

training approved by the state council under regulations pursuant to

section three thousand two of the public health law.

2. Such municipality shall formulate rules and regulations relating to

the use of such apparatus and equipment in the provision of emergency

medical services or ambulance service and may fix a schedule of fees or

charges to be paid by persons requesting the use of such facilities.

Such municipalities may provide for the collection of such fees and

charges or may formulate rules and regulations for the collection

thereof by the individuals, municipal corporations, associations, or

other organizations furnishing service under contract as provided in

paragraph © of subdivision one of this section.

3. Such municipality may purchase or provide insurance indemnifying

against liability for the negligent operation of such emergency medical

service or ambulance service and the negligent use of other equipment or

supplies incidental to the furnishing of such emergency medical service

or ambulance service.

4. Such municipality may provide for the administration and

coordination of such emergency medical service or ambulance service

including but not limited to operation of an emergency medical

communications system and medical control.

5. Fire districts, which, as part of a fire protection contract, may

provide general ambulance and/or emergency ambulance service pursuant to

section two hundred nine-b of this chapter and article thirty of the

public health law where a town or village has not designated itself as

the primary provider of or otherwise contracted for an emergency

ambulance, a general ambulance service, or a combination of such service

acting individually or jointly, may contract with one or more

individuals, municipal corporations, or other organizations having

sufficient trained personnel, vehicles or combination of personnel and

vehicles suitable to provide prehospital emergency treatment, for the

furnishing of supplemental personnel, equipment or service to cover

instances or periods of time when its service may not be readily

available.

Actually there is a statement in the BES annual report that states 1,822 patients received ALS intervention in 2006!

Doc, can you provide a link to the post ?

Putnam

Ahh, if memory serves, year end 2005 is when the PCBES put out its famous [locally] year end report based on its brand new numbers from its brand new CAD system that said there were 48, 437 emergency calls in Putnam County in the year prior. Most agencies were credited with 2 to 3 times the calls they actually answered and it was later explained when the tones were hit, it counted as a call. That said, if an agency were bidding based on call volume and used county numbers at that time, they might have been off by a factor of 2 or 3. Just a hunch.

Mr. Cuomo contacted me directly to tell me that the bid for 2005 was based on 4500 EMS calls, 1500 ALS calls. He asked that I correct my post.

Excellent conversations by many. I have to say I'm still perplexed by reading comments that ALS is not a life "need" its a "want." Your right...I may not think I "need" it...but if I pick up 911...I want ALS here and I want it here in 7 minutes or less and I'm being gracious tonight. So I guess it depends on how you look at want and need perspectively. The fact that many places didn't even get a whiff of ALS until 1994 and even 1997 is something that is embarrassing and ridiculous looking at the status of NY in comparison to other area of the country that have had it longer. Then again the welcome ALS got in most areas along with how long it took 911 to get implemented speaks volumes of the issues that hold back many emergency services in our areas. Last time I checked its about the patient and the citizens not the responders.

ALS for those of us in the profession who like what we do, take pride in being the best that we can and working to be industry leaders through education at all levels and partnerships with other emergency services, allied health agencies and hospital continuums know that the "advanced" in ALS in regard to procedures and medication administration is just the tip of the iceberg. We are often patient advocates, BLS advocates and educators and the eyes and ears of the ED which through proper assessment and treatment by the Paramedic can assist in reducing their patient door to door time.

I'm glad that a request was made to correct your post CKroll. Perhaps those same individuals could give some insight on what the status of EMS is in the county as well. At least we now know that numbers were corrected to what they say they are. :rolleyes:

I think the PC Legislature is nuts making this decision, but being an election year no one up in carmel wants thier name assoicated with spending any more taxpayer money, than the County Exec alreeady did with his latest tax increase..

Remember the contract ends on 10/1 and we have to decide to vote for many of these legislators on 11/6. And I think the County Exec is up this year also... Make your voice heard, tell your legislator what you really think of thier decision

From PutnamcountyNY.com webpage

Phone: 845-225-8690

E-mail: putcoleg@putnamcountyny.com

Sam Oliverio, Jr. - 914-414-5768

Terry N. Intrary -

Mary F. Conklin - (845)406-1002 - PCDist4@aol.com

Mary Ellen Odell -

Tony Hay - 845-278-6747

Dan Birmingham -

Robert McGuigan, Jr. - Putnamcounty8@RCN.com

Regina Morini

I just went to the County weg site and clicked on the Legislature button and immediately got that error message that the site is disabled or removed, or some such momsense. I geuss they must have been inundated, huh???

Excellent conversations by many. I have to say I'm still perplexed by reading comments that ALS is not a life "need" its a "want." Your right...I may not think I "need" it...but if I pick up 911...I want ALS here and I want it here in 7 minutes or less and I'm being gracious tonight. So I guess it depends on how you look at want and need perspectively.

Well said. The Rolling Stones weighed in on the issue in the 70's, to some popular acclaim. Several years prior, the Buddha made it a central tenet of his philosophy.

Essentially, everything is a 'want'. Aside from air, water, and shelter from the storm, the rest is all things we crave so badly we think we can't live without when the majority of the world has never even known them. Along with ALS, and BLS for that matter, we can live without tv and oversized cars and air conditioning. We can live in 1000 sq ft houses, heat with wood, and raise chickens. [ If one splits that wood, one no longer needs a gym membership, either.] The logic can be taken so far that for a person at peace with his existence who does not fear death, that even life is a want and not a need. Death waits for all of us. So as we debate how many minutes it should take and what it should be when it arrives, remember that just one lifetime ago, at least in my town, there was nothing here but hard farming and a lot of rocks. It was only the 1960's that the DOT came to the opinion that dying, horribly mangled, in an automobile wasn't OK.

The purpose of government [ if it has one at all], is to do things, especially those things individuals can't do alone, to promote safety, improve the quality of life, and to set standards. It all comes at a cost, and I think the better argument might be "What is the value added to our lives by ALS/BLS and is it worth what it will cost?"

We know what it will cost. BLS costs about $25 per household per year, with volunteer labor. ALS will cost an additional $10 per person, about $40 per household. We currently pay about $45 a household. Is emergency medical service and transportation at $65 per household per year still worth it? Is the entire EMS package worth one dinner at a restaurant ? Is it worth carpooling to work 10 times a year? One haircut? A pair of shoes? Is it worth waiting an extra 2 weeks to trade in an 'old' car on a new one? Political grand standing aside, we all want the legislators to save us money. but do we want them to save us this money?

And if we do.... then every rescue squad should be broken off from every fire department and re organized so that it can bill independently, so that a significant part of what it costs to provide BLS/ALS can be billed to insurance companies. If the legislators want to save us money on ALS, then the local agencies should control the cost of BLS and the county should control the total cost of ALS by billing, rather than having outside organizations set the cost of service. For the majority of Putnam residents, we are already paying through our health insurance for access to ALS/BLS. Local government, both town and county, needs to structure the services so that the insurance we are already paying for is contributing its share to the cost of health care. Many people in essence pay twice for the same service. Fixing this is a great job for government, and legislators who want to provide us with more service at lower cost ought to start there.

ckroll,

I want to commend you on a well thought out and written post. It does a great job pointing out what our elected politicians seem to have forgotten their job is for their constituents.

I found out something very interesting the other day. I hear more and more East Fishkill getting called to go mutual aid for medical calls in Putnam. I think they figured out that we have a BLS ambulance that is rostered 24/7. I personally went 3 times already in the past 2 weeks. the last time, we went to Patterson for a psychiatric patient. And not to mention, empire mosied in about 5 minutes after us, and didnt seem to want to stick around. And i spoke to one of the guys from Put Lake at putnam hospital, and he had a crew for the ambulance but they were never called. It appears Putnam 911 has been skipping agencies in the list to call for us, because they are almost 100% guaranteed a response from 39-71. If anybody can clarify this a little more, please let me know. I dont mind, i realize that its tough to get an ambulance out during the day in some places, but i just dont want it to get abused. we have a big town to serve ourselves, and i dont think that our pesky taxpayers are going to be happy with "thier" ambulance going all over the place

Any ideas or clarification will be appreciated by myself and the Rescue Chief, as i am not all that familiar with how Put 911 works. Thanks!

I believe they have a hat with the names of agencies in it. When it comes time for mutual aid they pick 2. Being that any call in an unnamed town which borders Pawilng is most likely to go mutual aid you'd think they would call Pawling (with a staffed ambulance) at least as a top 4 choice. Sometimes they are never called and the towns just keep on coming. Or the poplar comapany 1 can't get out, their call is covered by company B. Then 10 minutes later a call comes out for comapny B (or a second call for company B) and off go the tones for the comapny A which couldn't cover a call 10 minuts ago.

Just as a note I belive it was said that something like 20% of call were taking 20 minuts + to get an ambulance out for prior to the new BLS plan. Just remember that was when medics would ride as EMTs if necesary. If the medics and the BLS backup go we could see response times of 20 minute + to 505 or more of calls. Then maybe we should start toning out the whole county for every call and hope we get someone.

Countywide EMS system...tax district, and also participation from agencies that already answer EMS calls to help staff when they can. Put out a schedule, then let the volunteers pick shifts, then pay someone outside to come in and fill the vacancies...I may be looking for a per diem job close to home that carries minimal workload for the money! Just have to refresh my EMT...this would help move it along!

Think about this little twist, you and your 4some are having a nice relaxing round of golf, at the lovely COUNTY owned golf course when on the 15th hole uncle Petey is haveing the best game of his life, (the good lord would never ruin the best game of his life), when he falls to the ground after sinking his longest putt ever. He is having a massive heart attack, sorry no ALS for you, but remember he saved on his greens fees because he is a county resident.

What a great county it is, maybe they will let us bury him in Tilly Foster farm, that is also county owned.

Got to love it.

STUPID IF YOU ASK ME.

Put out a schedule, then let the volunteers pick shifts, then pay someone outside to come in and fill the vacancies...I

Great concept...but in my experience you should supplement the system with volunteers not the other way around. The scheduling would be difficult at best and you are better off setting up a minimum of what you feel is adequate and then supplement further with volunteer staff with extra units.

Just wondering where are more of the advocates of Putnam County? Has anyone tried to bring this to the same level attention of the great donut famine of 07/08?

I know how some people hate NEWS 12 Westchester, but they were the only one's that got back to me about this. I felt bad that PC would lose there ALS. David Wolf is asking anyone who is willing and able to come foward on camra to email him at

dwwolf@news12.com. Use Putam county ALS as the subject title. I also wish all the luck in the world for Putam county..

How does this sound? Putnam puts in the same amount they have, give or take a little either way. Then each Town kicks in an amount based on their call volume, to make up the difference. Let PCBES be the Administrator of the system. This way, the Towns aren't stuck with the whole cost, but just their share. The only other thing they need to do is take the damn football out of the politics and put it back on the playing field.

How does this sound? Putnam puts in the same amount they have, give or take a little either way. Then each Town kicks in an amount based on their call volume, to make up the difference. Let PCBES be the Administrator of the system. This way, the Towns aren't stuck with the whole cost, but just their share. The only other thing they need to do is take the damn football out of the politics and put it back on the playing field.

I agree that PCBES should administer the program (can't believe I actually said that), but what difference does it make if its the town or the county paying for it? The money will come out of the same tax bill (mine) it will just be under a different heading. This has much less to do about cost and more to do with the fact that the legislature and Bondi couldn't agree on the color of the sky, and this was just an oportunity to to stick it to him. I hope everyonember. in Putnam remembers this when they vote for legislators in November.

From today Journal News : Putnam may lose ALS . I saw it in a news rack this morning, on the front page. Hopefully more people will begin to question what is going on in Putnam County, and force the legislators to do something. If ALS dissappear, I will vote against any incumbent come November.

I agree that PCBES should administer the program (can't believe I actually said that), but what difference does it make if its the town or the county paying for it? The money will come out of the same tax bill (mine) it will just be under a different heading. This has much less to do about cost and more to do with the fact that the legislature and Bondi couldn't agree on the color of the sky, and this was just an oportunity to to stick it to him. I hope everyonember. in Putnam remembers this when they vote for legislators in November.

I never said it would not come from the taxpayers, I do have some common sense. BUT it has already been stated that the County is NOT putting any additional funds out, period. AND if you read my previous post in its entirety, the comment about the football was aimed at the inabikity of these clowns to see beyond the ends of their noses. HOWEVER, we do not have much time. Would you rather lose ALS, or get the towns to help with the cost. I do believe that the provision of Emergency Services is the responsibility of each local Municipality, not that of the County.

I never said it would not come from the taxpayers, I do have some common sense. BUT it has already been stated that the County is NOT putting any additional funds out, period. AND if you read my previous post in its entirety, the comment about the football was aimed at the inabikity of these clowns to see beyond the ends of their noses. HOWEVER, we do not have much time. Would you rather lose ALS, or get the towns to help with the cost. I do believe that the provision of Emergency Services is the responsibility of each local Municipality, not that of the County.

I favor the municipal model for Putnam insomuch as the west side of the county does not see the county services that the east does, even though we pay for them. Fewer taxpayers means less interest. Municipalities are better suited to addressing local needs. Putnam has two distinct populations East side is suburban, West side is rural. They are better served by different approaches, at least for the present. Nothing precludes municipalities banding together, much like Town of Cortlandt and City of Peekskill to provide services. That said, I'm certainly open to changing my mind if the County came to its residents with a compelling and well thought out plan for provision of services.

:o:o Latest Laugh!! :blink::blink:

I heard from someone that spoke with Mr Oliverio last night at the Putnam Valley Town Board, the Legislature is looking at extending the contract through the end of the year, and putting the ALS issue up for referendum before then..

(Basically they are dropping this issue in the taxpayers laps, with even less knowledge of the issue than they had). This will release them and the County Exec from any resposibility on the issue.. So when the ill informed residents of the county vote against it (because they have no information), it is thier own fault.

Go Figure...

If the legislature is going to put this in the taxpayers lap by having theem vote on it, then the burden is on the EMS providers of Ptnam to educate the voters; and do it like has never been done before fore: full page adds, TV & radio spots, billboards and public meetings.

This move could be a Godsend. Here is an opportunity to get our message out in an acceptable format and we get to frame the debate. :D

I favor the municipal model for Putnam insomuch as the west side of the county does not see the county services that the east does, even though we pay for them. Fewer taxpayers means less interest. Municipalities are better suited to addressing local needs. Putnam has two distinct populations East side is suburban, West side is rural. They are better served by different approaches, at least for the present. Nothing precludes municipalities banding together, much like Town of Cortlandt and City of Peekskill to provide services. That said, I'm certainly open to changing my mind if the County came to its residents with a compelling and well thought out plan for provision of services.

Putnam's diversity is one of the things that makes a countywide solution so desirable. If the towns on the west side - Philipstown and Putnam Valley - decide they DO want ALS and band together they don't have the call volume to support an ALS system. Where will the medics get the calls to maintain proficiency in their skills? At least with a countywide system, the medics could be rotated periodically to insure that they are exposed to the most calls possible and even then with only 1822 ALS calls, there's a good chance a medic might not perform an intubation for months at a time. Skills maintenance is probably the one thing that a commercial service can offer. Look at Empress for example - a medic does shifts in Yonkers/Mt Vernon where the volume is and then does a shift in Yorktown (this is just illustrative, don't jump on me about Empress or any of the municipalities mentioned). Putnam County is just the right size for a countywide system to work successfully.

The county can also spread the cost over the most people/businesses. An ALS system for the 10,000 people in Philipstown or the 10,000 people in Putnam Valley would be cost prohibitive.

Let's hope someone can talk some sense in the Legislators because they simply don't get it!

Merlin, you're absolutely right. The problem is will anyone step up to the plate?

Very interesting site today, I went on a motor vehicle collision and I saw medic 3 riding with Bob Cuomo and someone from the county legislature. I asked my chief why they were riding and he said that they were riding because Bob Cuomo wanted to show her how necessary it was for paramedics. Without getting into details about the collision, it was somewhat serious. As I was getting equipment I walked by Bob Cuomo and the rep from the county I stated "Are paramedics necessary now?" I hope this opens the eyes of the county to show that paramedics are very necessary in the 21st century EMS.

Hey all, I put my letter to the Legislators in the mail this morning!

What have YOU done about this problem?

It's one thing to sit here and rant (as I so frequently do) but it is another to actually contact the legislators to let them know how you feel. Like the lottery, you've got to be in it to win it!

It is good that Chris192 wrote to his elected reps, everyone who lives in Putanm should do the same. You also need to make it know to these people that you will not vote for them if they don't produce results before the election. And if they don't, vote them out. That is what major lobbiest such as the NRA, AARP, & Planned Parenthood (to mention afew) do. They also get on the phones to their members and urge them to call, they also provide a boiler plate letter (not that I have ever <_< been involved in such things) do. They keep the pressure on, and they make it public. They also follow through on voting out those who disagree with them.

Good luck. Communities across the State are watching this & awaiting the outcome.

From News 12 Westchester, or in this case Hudson Valley lol.

Hi there,

We were interested in possibly doing a story about Putnam County losing its ALS. If you could please reach out to some of the medical personell involved from the lower section of Putnam County, we would like to speak with them today. I can be reached at the below email & telephone number. Thanks.

Justin Barbo

Night/Weekend Assignment Editor

News 12 Westchester

(914)378-8916 ext. 1

jbarbo@news12.com

So here's your chance to speak up and let your voices be heard. Remeber nothing can be done if you sit around and read about it on the computer.

Edited by ems-buff

Journal News Editorial

Journal News

In case of emergency . . .

(Original Publication: August 20, 2007)

There are very real problems in Putnam County with ambulance service. Just as troubling: The problem is only one tangible example of what can happen when a lovely - and largely residential - county has a population growth spurt, as Putnam has had over the last five years. Demands for services from longtime residents and newcomers increase exponentially. So do costs.

Then, the collision: Are residents' willing, or even able, to pay more taxes or do without certain services? The answers should matter to Putnam and non-Putnam residents alike, since our lives very often cross county lines, even where our tax bills do not.

Ambulance emergency

The costly county service under scrutiny right now: payment for Empire State Ambulance Corp. services. Supplementing volunteers corps, Empire was contracted to provide two ambulances and two paramedic-staffed "fly cars''; the latter carry medical equipment and personnel to a scene but do not provide transport from it.

Empire service is provided in the eastern part of the county, where there is a shortage of volunteers during the workweek, staff writer Susan Elan reported. It was hired in September 2006 to reduce response times during business hours. They had risen to as much as 30 minutes; since last year, countywide response times had dropped to less than 11 minutes, according to Robert Cuomo, the county's emergency medical services director.

Putnam paid Empire $485,000 for the first year of service; the company was to receive $504,000 for the second year. However, as an Empire spokesman explained, the company can't afford to do the job for less than $950,000; it has opted out of the contract effective Oct. 1. The Bondi administration asked the Legislature for an additional $116,250 to keep Empire in Putnam through Dec. 31. By a 7-1 vote Aug. 7, the Legislature turned down the request.

Alternatives to explore

Among some lawmakers' suggestions for responding to the problem: seek a new provider, seek arrangements with nearby hospitals, seek a regional solution - that is, getting non-Putnam governments to help out - and ask towns to help pay for the service. Yet the administration says there isn't enough time to complete a formal process to replace Empire State Ambulance Corp. by Oct. 1.

Oh, and in the backdrop of this tempest: The state issued a scathing audit in July criticized Putnam's purchasing practices, urging the county to use a formal bidding process for professional services, even though it is not required by law. The request for bids that drew Empire, Elan reported, was informal.

Several legislators, including Terry Intrary, R-Kent, worried that Empire low-balled its bid. "They are holding us hostage,'' Intrary said. "We have to figure out another way to fund this.'' Dan Roberts of Empire denied that this year's request for more money had been premeditated. He said billing patients has not covered expenses. Cuomo, the emergency medical services director, said of the four ambulance companies that are licensed to serve Putnam, only two responded to the county's request, and Empire's bid was lower.

Some common ground

Both administration and legislative officials do agree on one thing: Emergency ambulance services and advanced life support to Putnam residents will suffer. Legislator Sam Oliverio, D-Putnam Valley, the lone lawmaker who supported funding Empire through the end of the year, said its departure would "create an abrupt and unexpected gap.'' Clearly, this is an issue that demands county government's immediate attention - and the public's input.

Bids should be put out immediately to see if the service gap can be filled short-term. All the suggested solutions should be pursued post-haste. The search for volunteers and even temporarily paid emergency medical staff must be considered. If Empire's service does end as expected, the impact on response time and care must be closely followed and documented, with data released to the public by the end of the year. A study group should be formed to assess the price tag if the county itself provided advanced ambulance service. Hearings must be held; perhaps even an independent poll or nonbinding referendum to gauge support for such an expense.

And then there's the larger picture: County Executive Robert Bondi is preparing the 2008 county budget and has been warning that property taxes could increase by more than 20 percent, due to rising expenses for - you guessed it - county services. The ambulance service question is but one of many soon to put Putnam residents on the spot: What are you willing to pay for? What are you willing to give up?

A Journal News editorial

Journal News Editorial

Journal News

For those outside Putnam, the County Executive has been using the fund balance to have ZERO tax increases in the county for the past few years (not sure of the number). Now the well has dried up and no one is left but the taxpayers to foot this outrageous increase.. If I am not wrong ALS is a COUNTY PROVIDED SERVICE.

It is is not an issue of who provides the service, it is the cost of doing business.. Fuel cost alone are a signifigant part of any contract and cetainly are not decreasing..

I was glad to hear at the EMS council meeting on Sunday that at least one of the legilators has gotten out of thier seat and started to look at this issue first hand. From what I understand the accident certainly opened her eyes to the service provided. 2 Down only 6 more to go.. I think ALL of the Legilators should do a ride along with the medics, it will certainly clear up the BLS/ALS debate of skills.

In the long term Putnam needs to own the ALS system in the county.

It doesn't matter where in this country you live, most politicians have their priorities in the wrong order when it comes to spending. At the local level, Human Services should come 1st. And within that group, public safety should be #1. When will they get that through their heads?? The safety of their population is their responsibility, not another organization. But as we all know, nothing will happen until one of their own family members are impacted by a long response. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So far I have sent two emails to the Putnam County Board of Legislators. The first when the news first came out and the second a few minutes ago.

August 9th:

RE: Your recent decision to terminate funding for Advanced Life Support

To the Board of Legislators of the County of Putnam:

Your decision to terminate funding of Advanced Life Support Services as of 1 October 2007 is a gross injustice, not only the dedicated providers of Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services, but to *ALL* residents of Putnam County!!!! What are you thinking?????? Now a precedent has been set, a step forward, and now you want to take an even bigger step backwards??? God forbid one of you or one of your loved ones suffer a life threatening illness or injury where the intervention of an Advanced Life Support/ Paramedic Unit would have made the difference between life and death!!!!!! This is a travesty of utmost proportions!!!! It is high time to take the football out of politics and put it back of the football playing field! This can NOT be a part of some political game between the Board and County Executive or anybody else! You MUST reconsider this reckless decision post haste, before it results, as it will, in an unnecessary loss of life!

Thank you for your attention in this urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Christopher D Richie

Putnam Resident and

Past Chief,

Croton Falls Fire Department

The second today:

RE: Your Reckless Decision to cut Advanced Life Services

When I first heard about this DANGEROUS decision, I sent an email. As of today, I am yet to receive the courtesy of a response. Once again, I feel, both as a firefighter whose Department covers albeit a small part of Putnam County, but also as a resident. This is an extremely irresponsible and dangerous move. If it was, as I have heard, due to some foolish Hatfield/McCoy feud, well that sounds like a silly game of Political Football! As I stated in my previous email, it's high time to take the proverbial football out of Politics and leave it on the football field! God forbid you or any of your loved ones suffer some life threatening illness or injury, and die because the Advanced Life Support (Paramedic) is no longer available in Putnam County. But I'm afraid that one or more lives will be lost before you people come to your senses and reinstate this vital service.

I would appreciate the courtesy of a response.

Sincerely,

Chris Richie,

Past Chief

Croton Falls Volunteer Fire Department