Followers 0
JetPhoto

Sparks fly after West Nyack firefighters bring truck to war rally in Nanuet

52 posts in this topic

Sparks fly after West Nyack firefighters bring truck to war rally in Nanuet

By RANDI WEINER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 12, 2007)

NANUET - Peace activists who hold a weekly vigil on Middletown Avenue yesterday complained that the West Nyack Fire Department has been using firetrucks to support counterprotesters.

The activists protesting the Iraq war said publicly funded equipment should not be used to make a political statement.

"They're using taxpayer-funded equipment on taxpayers' time to be partisan," David Gurowsky said yesterday, as the shiny red pumper truck sat on a grassy spot along Route 59, across from where he and about a half-dozen protesters stood.

West Nyack Fire Chief George Drescher said yesterday that there was nothing political about driving the truck to Middletown Road and parking it beside counterprotesters to show support for the troops overseas.

"This is not about politics. This isn't political," Drescher said. "The West Nyack Fire Department has three members in the armed forces in Iraq, and in six weeks, my son will be there. The policy of the West Nyack Fire Department is to support our troops, and we're supporting our troops."

Christopher Drescher, 28, is a second lieutenant in the Army's 101st Airborne Division. His father served in Vietnam in the same division.

Peace protester George Andrzejewski saw it differently.

"They've got the right as individuals, but not as firemen," Andrzejewski said. "If they've got the right, they've got the right, but I think until you have these questions answered, don't bring out the town equipment."

For more than four years, people on both sides of the debate have stood at Route 59 and Middletown Road with signs that have included "Honk for Peace," "Get Out of Iraq" and "Support Our Troops." The protesters and counterprotesters occasionally shout at one another and wave at the cars as they drive by.

Last week, members of the West Nyack Fire Department stopped by the protest and gave water to the people holding "Support Our Troops" signs.

Yesterday, they brought the pumper and the fire chief's red sport utility vehicle, parking them on either side of the people carrying "Support Our Troops" signs.

"They just came. We didn't ask them," said Paul Murray of New City, who has carried a "Support Our Troops" sign every Saturday since April 2003. "We're happy to have anyone here supporting the troops."

Drescher said the truck was about a mile and a half from the West Nyack station, adding that it was fully equipped and ready to roll if needed.

He said 10 volunteers were on the truck and they were in touch with the station, even though they were out of the West Nyack Fire District.

He said he had the truck there as a safety precaution, although he did not specify whether the truck was for the safety of the volunteers or the safety of the fire district, since so many volunteers were at Middletown Road.

Yesterday, the firefighters on Route 59 were waving and holding a large American flag. Others were standing next to the longtime "Support Our Troops" participants. The truck was parked on Route 59 and the SUV on Middletown Road from 1 to 3 p.m., the usual time of the protests.

Funding for the fire district comes from property owners' taxes. The district does not get money from Rockland County or the town of Clarkstown, spokesmen for the two entities said.

Although the town collects the fire district tax, it has no oversight of the West Nyack Fire District or its policies, town Supervisor Alexander Gromack said yesterday.

Town policy forbids use of government property for political reasons, he said, but town policy does not affect whatever policy is set by the West Nyack Fire District. That policy is set by its elected board of commissioners.

Calls made to a member of the fire district board were not returned yesterday.

Gordon Wren Jr., the county's fire coordinator and a friend of Drescher's, said he spoke with the chief yesterday about the situation.

"I have tremendous respect for George. He's a wonderful guy and I know his intentions were honorable, but I can also understand how the appearance is otherwise," Wren said.

"I think their intentions are one thing, but the appearance was something else. Generally, (fire departments are) not political. We don't take sides. We don't get involved in politics, because it causes disruption in the operation."

Reach Randi Weiner at rcweiner@lohud.com or 845-578-2468.

The peace protesters should ask themselves one question, but we should all pay attention to their answer. Would they be complaining if the district owned “shiny red pumper truck” that “sat on a grassy spot along Route 59”, had been on the same side of the street they were standing on?

It seems to me that they really can’t understand why anyone would want to peacefully disagree with them and support our troops.

So is this issue really about the war or is it more about which side of the street is more noticeable to passing motorists?

The peace protesters should ask themselves one question, but we should all pay attention to their answer. Would they be complaining if the district owned “shiny red pumper truck” that “sat on a grassy spot along Route 59”, had been on the same side of the street they were standing on?

It seems to me that they really can’t understand why anyone would want to peacefully disagree with them and support our troops.

So is this issue really about the war or is it more about which side of the street is more noticeable to passing motorists?

Once again the politically correct "left" is frustrated because someone disagree's with them. I do not see anything wrong with the FD being there. I too want peace and an end to the war but I also stand behind those in uniform who are spilling blood to combat terrorism.These protestors should be reminded that this country was victims of these terrorists and could possibly be victims again and the FD was suppoting those who fight so that anyone can protest anything they are against.

I would love to see which side the ACLU would take...

This is going to turn into a heated debate, but here are my thoughts

The Engine should be handing out water to ALL people demonstrating in public, that rig is paid for by everyone there, and is supposed to protect and serve all citizens.

You can not support this current war, and still support our troops.

The fact that any dept would publicly side with one side of a political statement is a disgrace.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

Seems to me that these two sides are not necessarily disagreeing with each other. One side is supporting the troops, the other is against the war. I don't see those two arguments as being mutually exclusive. Isn't the best way to support the troops, to bring them home safely? Whether i'm for the war or not, youre damn right that I will support our servicemen and women. I think BFD hit the nail on the head. If the truck was on the other side of the street, the other group would be complaining. How is what tehse guys did any different than the numerous "We support our troops" stickers that i've seen on apparatus?

Seems to me that these two sides are not necessarily disagreeing with each other. One side is supporting the troops, the other is against the war. I don't see those two arguments as being mutually exclusive. Isn't the best way to support the troops, to bring them home safely? Whether i'm for the war or not, youre damn right that I will support our servicemen and women. I think BFD hit the nail on the head. If the truck was on the other side of the street, the other group would be complaining. How is what tehse guys did any different than the numerous "We support our troops" stickers that i've seen on apparatus?

Well said Jay

Well said! Sadly people don't distinguish the difference between being against war (this one or any other) but still supporting our servicemen and women who are doing their job protecting all of us and our way of life.

i support are troops, but not this war over there. I think what the fire dept did was not correct. Ive seen those support are troops stickers on fire apparatus. Here is the problem as i see it. Any public owned property should not be used to for something like this. I would not have problem if they gave water out to the anti-war protesters. It would be alright if county or state public works equipment was there handing out water to support our troops people. I don't think that would be right at all. Would it be alright if they showed up at political rally doing the same thing? Now if that fire truck was private ownership that is not problem.

(Original publication: August 12, 2007)

NANUET - Peace activists who hold a weekly vigil on Middletown Avenue yesterday complained that the West Nyack Fire Department has been using firetrucks to support counterprotesters.

The activists protesting the Iraq war said publicly funded equipment should not be used to make a political statement.

"They're using taxpayer-funded equipment on taxpayers' time to be partisan," David Gurowsky said yesterday, as the shiny red pumper truck sat on a grassy spot along Route 59, across from where he and about a half-dozen protesters stood.

West Nyack Fire Chief George Drescher said yesterday that there was nothing political about driving the truck to Middletown Road and parking it beside counterprotesters to show support for the troops overseas.

"This is not about politics. This isn't political," Drescher said. "The West Nyack Fire Department has three members in the armed forces in Iraq, and in six weeks, my son will be there. The policy of the West Nyack Fire Department is to support our troops, and we're supporting our troops."

David Gurowsky should also get his facts straight! As West Nyack is an all-volunteer FD, there was nobody there on "taxpayers' time" and I'll gladly donate the $3.00 in diesel the "taxpayer-funded equipment" used to drive them there! What a blowhole!

i support are troops,but not this war over there.i think what the fire dept did was not correct.ive seen those support are troops stickers on fire appratus.here is the problem as i see it.any public onwed property should not be used to for something like this.i would not have problem if they gave water out to the anti-war protesters.would be alright if county or state public works equipment was there handing out water to supoort are troops people.i don't think that would be right iat all.would it be alright if they showed up at political rally doing the samething?now if that fire truck was private ownership that is not problem.

Technically isn't a volunteer fire department run as a private, not for profit corporation? Is the apparatus publicly owned or owned by the FD with whom a municipality contracts for fire protection? Maybe this is that fire department / fire district comparison and more appropriate for another thread but I'm curious about the answer.

David Gurowsky should also get his facts straight! As West Nyack is an all-volunteer FD, there was nobody there on "taxpayers' time" and I'll gladly donate the $3.00 in diesel the "taxpayer-funded equipment" used to drive them there! What a blowhole!

Technically isn't a volunteer fire department run as a private, not for profit corporation? Is the apparatus publicly owned or owned by the FD with whom a municipality contracts for fire protection? Maybe this is that fire department / fire district comparison and more appropriate for another thread but I'm curious about the answer.

I caught that too. They said 10 Volunteers were manning the rig. Don't understand how they can be on "Taxpayer's time". They were in service and in contact with the firehouse according to the article.

Ownership of the rigs depends on teh department. I know of some that are owned by the individual volunteer company, and some are owned by the city or town. Really depends on how they work things in their municipality.

well if they get public funding then the appartus is publiclyy owned.i lived in town that had fire tax it was collected once year for use by the fire dept. they do go out and raise funds for items that are not funded in regular budget.

Edited by pentax02839

why cant you be against the principles of a certain war, but still support the troops who are there fighitng it?

This is going to turn into a heated debate, but here are my thoughts

The Engine should be handing out water to ALL people demonstrating in public, that rig is paid for by everyone there, and is supposed to protect and serve all citizens.

The fact that any dept would publicly side with one side of a political statement is a disgrace.

I don't see why this would turn into a heated debate. You have your opinions and others have thiers. And thank God and our troops we can express them freely.

And don't all depts at one time or another side with political statements? What about political endorsments?

well if they get public funding then the appartus is publiclyy owned.i lived in town that had fire tax it was collected once year for use by the fire dept. they do go out and raise funds for items that are not funded in regular budget.

Be careful on this one. Some Vol. Depts are Fire Protection Districts which in our case we own all apparatus and property. Our town has a fire tax that is collected. We contract out to the town for service.

Any who this is a topic that drives me nuts. I support our troops. I think that all of us support our troops. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. They should just go back next week and park on the other side of the street. Then they will have nothing to say. Our troops protect out right to protest.

not taking side onthisissue but usually political endorsements come from faternal organizations not the departments but i could be wrong.

Maybe we in the fire service are not much differant from our troops overseas. we don't pick the fight, we just go and do what we have trained to do. We know the deal going in. Maybe our brothers from West Nyack remeber why our troops went over seas in the first place- because innocent cillians were attacked and killed on our soil for nothing more than going to work that morning. We also lost 343 firefighters that morning as well as PAPD, and PD. We are still feeling the effects as we lose more people to health problems from down there. Sometimes i think the people who do not support our troops or the war should remember this. This is just what the bad guys want - us all fighting with each other and not keeping our eye on the ball so they can find the opening and do it agian. Perhaps all the people who don't want to support our troops should have seen some of the things that we saw down on the" pile". Maybe that would change thier minds.

Sorry, this realy gets me

Don't ever forget.

As a note- I have 2 members of my department who have recently returned, 1 currently deployed, and my brother preparing to deploy.

I dare anybody to go against chief17's last post WELL SAID CHIEF17, WELL SAID.

Maybe we in the fire service are not much differant from our troops overseas. we don't pick the fight, we just go and do what we have trained to do. We know the deal going in. Maybe our brothers from West Nyack remeber why our troops went over seas in the first place- because innocent cillians were attacked and killed on our soil for nothing more than going to work that morning. We also lost 343 firefighters that morning as well as PAPD, and PD. We are still feeling the effects as we lose more people to health problems from down there. Sometimes i think the people who do not support our troops or the war should remember this. This is just what the bad guys want - us all fighting with each other and not keeping our eye on the ball so they can find the opening and do it agian. Perhaps all the people who don't want to support our troops should have seen some of the things that we saw down on the" pile". Maybe that would change thier minds.

Sorry, this realy gets me

Don't ever forget.

As a note- I have 2 members of my department who have recently returned, 1 currently deployed, and my brother preparing to deploy.

My sincere wishes for a quick and safe return to your member and your brother, chief17.

Chris

QUOTE(JustSomeGuy @ Aug 13 2007, 08:50 AM)

[truckie419] why cant you be against the principles of a certain war, but still support the troops who are there fighitng it?

i was wondering the same thing... if you support the war, wouldn't you support the troops to get the outcome that you want from the war?

I don't believe ruck was saying you can not support the war. I think he was trying to say you can be opposed to the war and still support the troops.

First all to cheif 17 good luck to your brother going overseas. To my knowledge goverment agency, including fire departments tdon't endorse canidates or political views. It is unions, or other organizations. I stand behind my veiws that I express here. I still don't think any public owned vehicle should be used for this purpose. I understand you don't choose what kind things in fire service you may get involed in. You do what you are trained to do. I think a good example of that was 9/11. But i still support our troops.

Edited by DOC22
many spelling and grammer errors

United States troops no matter where they are deployed deserve the support of all of all of us. It seems its the political end that has us in a delemia, if we say bring them home- they say we are losing the war on terriorism, if we say send more over there we are acused of sending troops to a no win situation.

It wasn't so long ago that we were in the same situtation 1966-1968 100,000's of of soliders went to war under almost the same conditions-- we are still seeing the effects on the service men and women.

Here's my question the the politicians: If we can send people into space-- go to google earth and find my house- spend millions of dollars no, make that billions of dollars on what ever!!! why the hell can't we find the one person responsible for the attack on our country.

Don't mean to rant and rave, but some where we made a right turn in Afganstan and ended up in Iraq

The fact of the matter is you CAN SUPPORT OUR TROOPS and be against the war at the same time. These people simply think that if you support our troops you must be against the war. That is simply not the case. Both these groups should be on the same side of the street. However, the fact of the matter is that there are a subgroup of anti-war protesters that believe that supporting the troops is supporting the war. This is BULLSHIT and like everything else in life, it is the minority whose voice is heard loudest. Stop your bitching and pick up a sign saying support our troops.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!

Of course the fire department, police deparment, EMS, and everybody else in America should SUPPORT OUR TROOPS. Doing anything else would be treason!

My job and my second home in Florida requires me to travel by air frequently. Whenever I am in an airport a see a serviceman, I ALWAYS go over to him ask him or her where they are headed. I then tell him that America supports you and all the troops. Finally, and most importantly, I tell him thanx for protecting my freedom.

Their response is always "thank you sir !"

God bless our troops.

I believe that as an American you have a duty to support your President and his decisions, even if you dont like them. We live in a democracy and have the right to vote (side note: if you dont vote you dont have a damn thing to say about anything or anyone), your guy may not win all the time but we're "stuck" with who does win and we must support them to keep these "United States" strong. Like it was said before, our ememies, either foreign or domestic, sit back and laugh at us when we devide as a country. There should be no question in any American's mind when it comes to "support the war, not the troops or dont support the war and support the troops. Support our country and our President!!! God Bless every single service person thats here or overseas and everyone of them who has served in the past. It is because of them that we enjoy our everyday freedoms that we couldnt live without. As far as 9/11, every American should be pissed off! Those people (cops and firefirghters) that you rely on to keep you and your property safe everyday gave their lives and died for this country. Right after 9/11 everyone wanted to "get the bastards" responsible. Theyre still looking for THE one but got a few in the mean time. Just because they didnt have a direct hand in 9/11 doesnt mean the Huseins (sp?) didnt need to go too! No everyone wants to take back the "get em" frame of mind and get out. Well it aint that easy, as they say, we need to pull out slowly and blah blah blah. Next time you see a service person, (as dadbo stated) thank them and give them your blessing, that stuff goes a long way while theyre on the plane flying "over there", makes them proud and leets them know we're behind them and appreciate what theyre doing. I remember right after 9/11 when in line for coffee people, on more than one occassion, bought me coffee and "thanked" me for the job I do. That went away after a few weeks and we're back to normal, what ever happened to "never forget"? I dont expect anything because of what I do, but a "thank you" is nice to hear. Everyone forgets 9/11 or they wouldnt be bitching about war and troops etc. If they need something to do once a week (besides protest) let them prepare care packages for our troops who have NO CHOICE but to be there! If it's so tough to live here then MOVE! Theres plenty of room "over there" and more everyday, then see how much the like America!!! God Bless our troops and God bless AMERICA!

Sorry for the long post, got on a roll ;-)

Edited by OnTheWheel

See I grew up in a military based family with my father serving 20 years for his country and I wanted to follow in his foot steps but because of my father's wishes since he was sick, I did not serve. Having that said, I have always supported out military whether the Commander in Chief in my mind made a good or bad decision in sending our sailors, marines, solders, airmen and guardsmen into harms way.

What pisses me off the most is that the people of the Unites States that protest against the current war in Iraq are blaming the military for it when in fact they are doing their job ad directed by their boss, aka the President. Now when we, as firefighters, go to honor an support our military overseas on active duty or remembering those on Memorial Day who gave the supreme sacrifice, we should be able to use our trucks to show our support. Why?? Simple, how many members of our departments serves in the military?? A lot of course. But the problem here is that some (lack of a better term) ignorant know-it-all can't make a difference between a soldier's support rally for a local son / daughter who is serving oversees and the people are trying to make others remember they are over there in harms way. So raise that flag up on the trucks and / or the aerial to show your pride and support of our troops. However, there area so many ignorant people that think supporting your troops is a pro-war rally that they area probably the same people who want prohibition again and repeal the Second Amendment also. It just ticks me off that many cannot take the blinders off and see the truth.

I don't think we should have invaded Iraq but that is a political argument that I don;t want to get into, our C-I-C had reasons to. HOWEVER, if someone said to me, get on the truck were going to have a support rally for PFC John Doe from my town to wish him well, I would be the first to take the truck there.

Just my rant.

Sorry for the rant all.

See, that's the beauty of this country. We can disagree with each other, our government, or whomever!

By example, I disagree with the assertion that we have a duty to support our President. He was elected to serve us and if we're unhappy with his actions or inactions it is our duty as his employer (we often forget this role and career politicians love that) to question him, challenge him, and express our concerns to him. On the other hand, protesting against the war all too often becomes a protest against our armed forces and they are only following the orders of their Commander in Chief. I recall the stories of protesters abusing soldiers returning from Vietnam calling them "baby killers", etc. That is the most horrible misdirected abuse! Soldiers don't wake up one morning and say let's go to Saigon, Kabul, or Tikrit. They follow orders that originate at the White House and Pentagon - if you don't like their decisions take it up with them! But don't blame the troops and don't automatically lump pro-troops in with pro-war. I'd just as soon have all our troops at home safeguarding the US border than trying to do what other countries have failed to do for themselves!

On a related note, it is now our responsibility to inform the Putnam County legislators how misguided they are in choosing to cut ALS services as of October 1. They think they're acting on our behalf but in this case they're not even close!

Sorry for my rant but I'm glad we CAN rant thanks to our troops!!!!

United States troops no matter where they are deployed deserve the support of all of all of us. It seems its the political end that has us in a delemia, if we say bring them home- they say we are losing the war on terriorism, if we say send more over there we are acused of sending troops to a no win situation.

It wasn't so long ago that we were in the same situtation 1966-1968 100,000's of of soliders went to war under almost the same conditions-- we are still seeing the effects on the service men and women.

Here's my question the the politicians: If we can send people into space-- go to google earth and find my house- spend millions of dollars no, make that billions of dollars on what ever!!! why the hell can't we find the one person responsible for the attack on our country.

Don't mean to rant and rave, but some where we made a right turn in Afganstan and ended up in Iraq

So you don't mean to rant and rave. You want to ask a politician why we can't find Osama.

Let me set the conditions of Combat in Afghanistan for ya. First, all soldiers are operating in a very very harsh enviorment. The terrian is for the most part solid rock, you can stand on one ridge and look at another no more then 500-1000 feet away. To move that 500-1000 feet is a 3000-4000 ft movement down by foot and then back up, mind you you are several thousand feet above sea level ( have you ever had to breath through a straw?) and remember you are wearing full battle rattle (Weapon, Advanced Combat Helmet, IBA with SAPI plates "Body Armor", Load Bearing Vest with ammo and frags, Canteens and Camel Back, assault ruck sack with assorted equipment, Night vision goggles etc, etc).

This area that our most wanted man Osama is hiding is a rough place, the Russian got an a** kicking here. They have tunnels that are hundreds of years old, people who don't know how to read and are kept that way to advance the local war lords power and control of his tribe. Yes a tribe, most are are not influenced by money, they have nothing to spend it on. Our Soldiers and Marines search every day, conduct cordon and searches, establish Vehicle Control Points etc, etc. They are at the tip of the spear looking for this piece of garbage. I look in the faces of these young men and women (your sons and daughters) and wonder why, why they joined the Armed Forces of the United States in the face of all this bad news and things that this and that group does and does not support. They do it for the battle buddy on their right and left, then for their unit then nation.

We the Armed Forces will never give up looking for Terrorists like Osama. My service has what we call the "Army Values"-Loyalty,Duty,Respect, SELFLESS SERVICE, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage (the other services have them to). I see this every day in our young men and women, they lead by example and from the front. I am awed by them, Americans who have heeded the call to service.

Maybe you should look for Jimmy Hoffa's body, he has been missing for 30 some odd years now in the United States, maybe the space shuttle can direct you. I will keep searching for the bad guys here, Mission first-Men always.

My definition of service is "you give more then you get" do some thinking on what that means.

Very Respectfully

"At the Tip of the Spear"

Thanks for that look at life on the front lines. The work you guys are doing and have done is nothing short of amazing and a true testament to your hard work and dedication. I only wish you guys could get more help, the help you deserve so we could bring that animal face to face with a few hard chargers in the back of a cave.

I still don't think any public owned vehicle should be used for this purpose.

So since so many feel that a public owned vehicle shouldn't be used for this, then would you agree that National Public Radio (NPR) should be taken off the air because it is nearly 100% funded with tax dollars. It is a perfect example of taxpayer money being used for political purposes as it's no secret that NPR flys way to the left and doesn't even come close to equal representation amongst prevaling political agendas.