Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Put That Ladder Anywhere You Can!

11 posts in this topic

Once again, another photo demonstrating Boston's excellent agressive use of both aerial and ground ladders. There given the tools, and as always they use them to their maximum ability. Also a great demonstration of an officer, apparatus operator, and crew's knowledge of the capabilty of their apparatus and placement.

http://www.firenews.org/temp/Boston081007.jpg

I was once told that a Ladder on a truck could not go below the truck, to the ground. I hope i dont seem stupid asking this, but is that true? We dont have many aerial trucks around here, at least not our dept.

Thanks,

Josh

I was once told that a Ladder on a truck could not go below the truck, to the ground. I hope i dont seem stupid asking this, but is that true? We dont have many aerial trucks around here, at least not our dept.

Thanks,

Josh

Perhaps not completely on the ground, but certainly the tip can be lower than the turntable

Nice job with the placement... nice quick and easy way to get the initial attack line on the ship. Great photo!! :D

Thanks,

Josh

My old dept had a 102' Grumman Tower Ladder. If it was extended to about 70' it had enough depression for the bucket to be on the ground (Obviously to the side or rear). In theory, it could go about 10 feet below grade.

Quite a few companies have specs on the angle the ladder can go below the horizontal - I think it is often around 15 degress.

Thanks,

Josh

Basic answer is: it depends on the rig, some are designed to and I have seen some well past that point. This capability is nice to have, never limit your options.

At the operators table, there is usually a guide with information telling you what that specific vehicle is rated at, max height, max reach for all vertices, horizontal, vertical, and reach below grade too.

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Arighty then. Thanks for the info to all of you!

Now I have another question. I was reading a news article, not sure if it was on here or not, about a fire at a bowling alley out in the western states. The fire started to get so intese, it was consuming the bucket of an ladder. And the deputy chief (i think) moved the truck, WHILE it was flowing water, and the stick was out. I know, sounds unrea, but does anybody know if this is at all possible.

I have my doubts, but i dont know that much

The only problem I see with moving the truck you described is flowing water. If the truck was being pumped by an engine then all the chauffeur would just have to raise up the jacks off the ground override the alarms and he would have no problem driving away.

Back to the TL operating at ground level, they are a great tool for taxpayers. If you've got a sotorefront full of fire drop the bucket to the ground and let her rip.

Now I have another question. I was reading a news article, not sure if it was on here or not, about a fire at a bowling alley out in the western states. The fire started to get so intese, it was consuming the bucket of an ladder. And the deputy chief (i think) moved the truck, WHILE it was flowing water, and the stick was out. I know, sounds unrea, but does anybody know if this is at all possible.

I have my doubts, but i dont know that much

I think you are probably talking about Penn. Chief's Daring Move Saves Firefighters.