Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

60 Control Outage 8-29-07

19 posts in this topic

As many of you know, 60 Control's radios are currently down. Fire & EMS agencies are manning their bases for dispatch.

Initial reports are that it is being caused by a Cablevision Lightpath outage, which 60 Control has no control over. Lightpath is the contractor responsible for providing Westchester County's Inter-Goverment fiber optic network, which includes landlines the link 60 Control with the dozens of remote tranmitter and repeater sites. At this time, Lightpath cannot track where the problem is, and is continuing to investigate to find the problem.

Please, no "one liner" responses.

Further information on that, click here

Does 60 Control have a backup dispatcher center? I know Dutchess County 911 can use City of Poughkeepsie 911 in the event their facility goes down, and visa versa.

In Putnam we can go back to the Sheriffs Office if the 911 Center were to experiance a system failure. We had to do it a couple of times when we first opened

Edited by EJS1810

I wonder if they will use their new communications truck and work from there? anyone know?

I wonder if they will use their new communications truck and work from there? anyone know?

...that was my initial thought, and if this were an equipment problem within the Dana Road facility that might be a reasonable "fix". However, from what I have read/heard it doesn't sound like there is anywhere for them to hook up the truck to the tower/repeater system.

Granted, I am basing this off of my overall knowledge of radio systems and 60-control's setup, and I could be wrong.

i believe most or all of mt pleasant fd's can be dispatched by the pd

Is there a set up at the County PD or Traffic Management Center in Hawthorne? If so, wouldn't there be a separate line from those locations out to the transmitter/repeater sites?

Is there a set up at the County PD or Traffic Management Center in Hawthorne? If so, wouldn't there be a separate line from those locations out to the transmitter/repeater sites?

Yes. TMC in Hawthorne. But if all Westchester government lines are down, the alternate TMC site may be included in that.

The same thing happened today at Greenburgh Police Communication center. In coming calls could not come through. All 911 and landline calls were redirected to Elmsford. Condition was corrected around 1500hrs. Lightpath was also the company who fixed it. Very odd.

Does anyone know if they fixed or found the cause of the problem?

i don't think anything was fixed yet. i have a friend who was asked to sit on dispatch until 6am.

In this day and age of high tech electronics etc, why would there not be a second line that runs to all these sites for the exact reason that we are dealing with now? There was obviously some form of wire to these sites before the fiber optic network was installed, was that completely taken out for the new system?

I just got on duty and to the best of my knowledge the problem is still in existence. We are receiving our calls sole by landline or via our company dispatch center which then relays via company radio. (Nextel don't work out here so iPage is useless).

Backup system would be the iPage I'd imagine. Is any department using it to recieve thier calls at present?

Also, regarding why there is no backup landline patch system in place, my first guess would be cost.

Regarding Cablevision/Optimum/Lightpath, it seems that cable TV is out as well. Probably related. I'm sure a few VPs at Optimum are not getting any sleep tonight.

HAHA, right after I posted this, I saw that this was my 666th post. Ooooohhhh, scary!!!

I'm sure a few VPs at Optimum are not getting any sleep tonight.

HAHAHA!

Oh, you were serious. :P

Something tells me that the VP(s) will be sleeping just as snugly as usual tonight. I feel sorry for the crews out working til all ungodly hours trying to fix the issue. Probably the same guys we all see out there when all the bad weather hits. More power to those guys!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

WESTCHESTER BACK ONLINE 0230 hrs..... Welcome Back!!

Putnam 911

Dispatcher 412

WESTCHESTER BACK ONLINE 0230 hrs..... Welcome Back!!

Putnam 911

Dispatcher 412

Just heard Westchester call Rockland on Intercounty [45.880] and let them know !

That sucks. Glad things got back online. Nice job lightpath.

Couldn't of happened on a day off, right?! Fun night....not.

Any word on what caused the Lightpath outage?