Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Career Academy Fall 2007

19 posts in this topic

With the fall session just about ready to start anyone we know attending? Good luck! It was 20 years ago for my class. class 2/87.

Yonkers is sending a class,they are being sworn in on the 7th and will start the following Monday.

hudson 20 years huh congratulations wait does that include the stop over in Greenville?

Hudson!

You're aging yourself! Seriously, though, congratulations on 20, Bro! May you have 20 more happy and healthy years doing what is more than a job, it's a passion!

Hudson144,

Did you have to turn the Fire Extinguisher

upside down while in the Fire Academy? LOL

Love ya Brother, BE SAFE!

No, but the had to manually pump the "johnny pumps"!!!! (For those youngin's including myself, that is the old name of a fire hydrant)

Hudson 144,

Times does fly!!! Seems like yesterday we were working together. Congrats on making 20!!!

My class was a year after you 2-88 (Sept-Nov; depts. in that class were Mt. Vernon (1), New Rochelle (6), White Plains (2), Scarsdale (3), Greenville (1), Pelham Manor (1), & Poughkeepsie (2). I would find myself back up there in 89 (May-July) with the Yonkers Academy (23 of us) and 1 from Newburgh. That's one heck of a lot of probie school in 10-11 months!!! lol.

As gss131 stated, Yonkers is putting a class of around about 32; on 9/7. I am involved with this class and it looks like we got a good bunch of new probies coming on in this class, joining our department. We will be up at the Training Center for the same exact time frame as the Career Academy, Sept.-Dec. (I believe this might be the first time this has happened, we usually miss each other by a few weeks or just overlap one another by a week or two). It can be a logistics nightmare but we have met with their instructors (who have been nothing but fantastic) to compare schedules and other things in order to avoid any problems. In talking with them, if I remember correctly, they said they will have, I believe a total of 16-18 probies in their academy, from Mt. Vernon, White Plains, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and Larchmont, I think I might be missing one or two others. It will certainly be interesting to see how this all works out in the end. It will take some work and more importantly constant communication, but from the looks and feel of how our instructors and their instructors are approaching this; we will get through just fine with little problems if at all.

Best of Luck to All; who will be part of both academy's.

Edited by BFarr156

Hudson I thought I would see you at the Boat Club last night celabrating your 20 year!!! to all the probies in both classes you have great instructors all the way around. Best of luck!

Hudson,

20years huh...and I thought 3 was an accomplishment...lol. Congrats.

Best of luck to both classes and the probies on your future careers. Welcome to the brotherhood!

The Directror of the Academy is none other then State Instructor Dick Nagle former head of the fire science program at Montour Falls. All probies are in good hands.

I wil be teaching :

Incident safety Officer

Intro to fireofficer

fire oficer one

safety and survival

at the training center nights starting in the fall

The Directror of the Academy is none other then State Instructor Dick Nagle former head of the fire science program at Montour Falls. All probies are in good hands.

I wil be teaching :

Incident safety Officer

Intro to fireofficer

fire oficer one

safety and survival

at the training center nights starting in the fall

Would that be the same Dick Nagle, past Chief in Croton and then Ridcefield Connecticut? If so, I've heard him speak before. He's an eleoqent speaker.

that would be the same one doc-- very impressive resume I must say---he does bring a few things to the table. I have known dick since i was 18 yrs old . We go back a long way in the fire service. I can actualy say i have been "on the line" in a few jobs with him in our younger days.

The academy is in good hands and all "probies" will get a good fire education both physically and triditionally, they better know how to salute and Yes sir no sir.

Again good luck to all of them in both classes YFD and Westchester

I'm confused: does Yonkers runs their own academy or do they just send probies to the County?

Edited by 23piraf

that would be the same one doc-- very impressive resume I must say---he does bring a few things to the table. I have known dick since i was 18 yrs old . We go back a long way in the fire service. I can actualy say i have been "on the line" in a few jobs with him in our younger days.

The academy is in good hands and all "probies" will get a good fire education both physically and triditionally, they better know how to salute and Yes sir no sir.

Again good luck to all of them in both classes YFD and Westchester

Ok, I had the honor of attending a Communion Breakfast at Mount Kisco when I was Chief in Croton Falls. Dick was the Guest Speaker. WHAT A SPEECH HE DELIVERED!!!!! Theme was : What is a Volunteer Firefighter? An ordinare person thrust inyo extraordinary circumstances. And ho built on that, EXCELLENT speech VERY elleuqent! He's definitely quite a guy! And I agree with you that those probies will have an education well worth the work.

I'm confused: does Yonkers runs their own academy or do they just send probies to the County?

Yonkers runs their own academy. It just so happens this time around both the Yonkers Academy and Westchester Academy will be in session at the same time.

Yonkers runs their own academy. It just so happens this time around both the Yonkers Academy and Westchester Academy will be in session at the same time.

So yonkers runs there own academy but it is held at the same place as the westchester academy?

So yonkers runs there own academy but it is held at the same place as the westchester academy?

Yes. Both Academys' are run out of of Westchester DES Training Center in Valhalla. Usually both are never in session at the same time and miss each other by a week or two, but this is the first time both will be using the facility at the same time.

Edited by BFarr156