Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonMoose

Firefighter 1

41 posts in this topic

MR MOOSE

AS FAR AS THE ADDENDUM. CALL THE BOOK STORE UP AT THE FIRE ACADEMY. WE RECEIVE THEM FROM THERE PRIOR TO STARTING OUR CLASSES TO HAND OUT TO OUR STUDENTS. STUDY GUIDES ARE ANOTHER STORY. IF YOU ARE TAKING THE NY STATE CLASS YOUR DELMAR BOOK WE PREPARE YOU FOR YOUR CLASS MID-TERM AND FINAL. IF YOU ARE TESTING IN CT THEN THE EXAM PREP-GUIDE FROM DR HERIST IS YOUR BEST BET. IF YOU ARE TAKING THE NATIONAL CERT IN NYS RESEARCH IT BEFORE BUYING A TEST GUIDE, TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE. GOOD LUCK. IF YOU ARE THIS PUMPED UP BEFORE CLASS YOU WILL DO WELL.

67-L57 IF FF1 WAS EASIER THAN STUDY HALL, I AM POSITIVE YOU WERE NOT IN MY CLASS :angry:

I have an extra copy you can sign out. I will bring it to class next week. Now get to bed! You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow. 8:00 AM start. Bring some gatorade " Hydrate or Die" See you at the FTC.

Yeah, I did ask them and they told me to check the fire science academy. But I didn't see it. Maybe I was at the wrong site, or maybe I'm losing my mind. I'll keep checking.

Great info here, Maybe next year i be taking FF1 , we'll see

Doesn't that mean us too Billy? LOL. See you in the am brother!

I have an extra copy you can sign out. I will bring it to class next week. Now get to bed! You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow. 8:00 AM start. Bring some gatorade " Hydrate or Die" See you at the FTC.

haha will do chief.

see you tomorrow

@Oswego - thanks, I saw that originally and then thought it wasn't the right one.

@JTF - thanks for the info.

@Oswego - thanks, I saw that originally and then thought it wasn't the right one.

@JTF - thanks for the info.

I guess I get no love....

That's ok moose, I'll remind you who I am tomorrow :lol: ...wonder what my assignment will be? hmmmm

are you using IFSTA Essentials or IAFC Fundamentals book for the class?

just finished fire one here (was the abbreviated 2 weeks version), we had the Fundamentals book, i found it somewhat lacking, but i had firefighter 1 years ago and used Essentials, i thought it was more complete

JTF429

I prob wasn't in your class... what i meant was i found it to be easy.... sorry if i offended you

Few pointers from a guy who did FF1 back in June:

1. Speak up in class! Instructors hate standing in a roomful of students all playing dumb.

2. Don't get behind on your reading - I read the whole book about three times before my class and it DID help.

3. Don't sweat the written tests: if you pay attention and do 2. above, you'll be fine.

4. Don't sweat the 'practical tests' - if your course is anything like mine, there won't be any - you're being continually assessed as you learn and perform skills.

5. Bill said 'hydrate or die'. He might have been exaggerating but he wasn't joking. Stay off the booze the night before and drink often starting at least 24hrs before a practical day. You won't have it so hard as we did in the summer but you're still going to sweat pints.

6. You WILL (probably) be yelled at. It's not personal, you have to learn to cope with the stress of the fireground, and if you can't handle a little yelling...

7. If you don't know knots, don't try to teach yourself - Even if you know knots... well I thought I knew some knots but learned far better ways to do things. Once you've been taught knots, practice practice practice - this needs to assume the status of 'muscle memory'.

8. Communicate communicate communicate. With your buddy backing you up on the line, with the guy doing the search beside you, with the 'officer' supervising the operation. I'd say this is my #1 point.

9. This is probably the most important class you'll ever take. Sure you'll do other classes, you'll get a lot more experience in service, but under real stress you WILL revert to basic training, and that needs to be right.

10. Have fun!

Hope this helps - guys, shoot me down in flames if I've said anything out of place.

Mike

A little bit of everything. Its basically the minimum you need to know plus any additional tidbits your instructors can give you.

You'll cover the basic principles behind fire and fire behavior, safety, SCBA and PPE, building construction, basic firefighting principles (attack types, extinguishing agents, etc), basic engine functions (hose rolls, streams, stretching hose, etc), basic truck functions (ladders, ventilation, search/rescue, forcible entry, etc), suppression systems, basic rope and knot use, overhaul and you should also get trained to the level of HAZMAT Operations.

Chief Byrnes and the guys who teach up in Katonah are class acts and know their stuff. You'll have a good time and I'm sure you'll learn a lot. I'm sure they'll tell you but I'll say it too, don't stop with FF I, keep going with your training once you're finished. Its just the minimum.

Look into the CFA cirriculum of building construction. They currently offer Type 1, 2 & 5 and they are pretty good classes, I teach in that program and I have to say that it is a well done lesson plan.