Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Wildcard! Yankees take 2 Game Lead over M's

37 posts in this topic

Despite poor starting pitching yesterday, the Yankees bounced back today, behind the Major League debut of Ian Kennedy (#36). Kennedy started in the place of long time Yankee Mike Mussina (#35), and super ceded all expectations by giving up only 1 earned run. He was credited with 3 runs total, but 2 of those could have been avoided. Now if Phil Hughes could get himself back on track. Today's win coupled with the 2-1 loss by the M's in Toronto to the Blue Jays gave the Yankees a bit of breathing room for the first time this season. The Yankees now own a 2 game lead in the Wild Card! The Yankees will have the opportunity of a lifetime this week when they go face to face with the Mariners and can pull away with a sweep. Of course winning tomorrow should come first! Alex Rodriguez (#13) drove in 4 more runs today bringing his season total to 129. 2 of the 4 came in the 1st inning when A-Rod teed of on #45 for the season with 1 on and 2 men out. A-Rod finished 3 of 4 for the game and is now batting .308. The bats are getting hot once again and if the pitching holds up, the Yankees who are biting at the Red Sox heels, will have a chance to overcome the 5 game deficit over the next two weeks. The teams meet again, in Boston, September 14, 15, and 16 for the finale of their season series.

As for tomorrow, a 1:05pm start at Yankee Stadium (TV: YES R: WCBS880), Andy Pettitte (#46) will toss for the Yanks, coming off another excellent critical start against Boston. Pettitte is 12-7 this season and boasts a 3.70 era. He will face Jason Hammel, 1-4 7.44 era. Go Andy!!!! And will there be a Joba sighting tomorrow???? We will see!

ummmmm...can someone tell me why this is important?

HAHA!!! METS ARE NY'S TEAM THIS YEAR...

:blink:

ummmmm...can someone tell me why this is important?

HAHA!!! METS ARE NY'S TEAM THIS YEAR...

:blink:

Well why not try again this year for a subway Series???

The Mets won tonight, but they are still only 3 games ahead of the Phillies in the East. The Mets have to push just as hard as the Yanks, cause losing to the Phils will not only knock them out of the East, but out of the playoffs all together. Not to mention that the Mets were just swept by their division rival and also meet them the weekend of September 14, 15, 16 at Shea...a weekend that could mean a lot for both NY teams. I support the Mets, although not a fan, because I love beating them! Especially in another Subway Series...and Randolph will always be a Yankee!!!

O HEK YEA!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of randolph -- it takes a Yankee to make a Met -- and other than that the Mets stink -- maybe thats not allowed in this forum but i strongly dislike (hate) them --- LETS GO YANKS ......... oh and by the way - the mets will never be new yorks team.

The Mets won tonight, but they are still only 3 games ahead of the Phillies in the East. The Mets have to push just as hard as the Yanks, cause losing to the Phils will not only knock them out of the East, but out of the playoffs all together. Not to mention that the Mets were just swept by their division rival and also meet them the weekend of September 14, 15, 16 at Shea...a weekend that could mean a lot for both NY teams. I support the Mets, although not a fan, because I love beating them! Especially in another Subway Series...and Randolph will always be a Yankee!!!

But you see, the Mets have the same type of schedule as the Yanks did in july when they beat up on the Devil Rays and Royals. The Mets will play the Marlins and Nationals 13 times in the remaining 27 games. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

Edited by DOC22
Grammae!

Fellas, Fellas, the Mets have plenty of time left to blow it as usual. Remeber it is only the beginning of September. :D:lol:B)

The Mets had better watch their butts. If they lose the East they will almost definitely lose the wildcard. Arizona and San Diego are battling it out and both have the same record as the Mets. If the Yankees can maintain their pace, and take two out of 3 from Boston they will win the AL East.

Yanks may lead the Mariners, but the Sox still have a 6 game lead over the Yanks. :P We shall see who's the best in the Playoffs.

Mike

Let us not forget the most monumental choke of all time...Redsox coming back from 3 games down to oust the Stankees from the playoffs in, ummm... was it 04? Anyway...that cannot be erased. So the mets are a choke team, I'll accept that and continue to be a fan, but I wouldn't want to own the biggest choke in professional sports history!

Thanks and be safe...

2004 is the greatest choke of all time?? Yeah, losing three in a row to the team with the second best record in the Division and third best in all of baseball. The team that then went on to sweep in the world series. If you've gotta lose to someone, and as much as it actually causes me pain to admit this, the sox were not a bad team to lose to. Now that thats out of the way, I'm curious if you've heard about 1978. 14.5 games back at the half way point and they managed to chase down the sox finishing the season with 100 wins. This was the season that was decided by lil' Bucky Dent's 3 run blast over the Monster in the seventh (yeah, it was in Boston. It makes it so much more fun that way). That was only Bucky's 6th(maybe the 7th, but definately less than 10th) dinger of the season. By August the sox had taken 6 or 8 from the Yankees. In September and October the Yankees nailed the sox for 7 wins out of the final 8 meetings. Now that is a colossal collapse.

WOOOHOOOO!!!! Go YANKS!!!!!!! lets do a little probablity:

1. boston up 5 games (gonna blow it they stink as always)

2. yanks 3 games up on M's 3.5 on Tigers.

3. mets eliminated first round of playoffs

Conclusion:

DETROIT AND BOSTON LOSE HORRIBLY CAUSING THE YANKEES TO WIN THE DIVISON!!! M's aint got a chance in heck after dropping 10 of their last 11.

Ya know, given how this season started I'm pretty impressed that the Yankees are even in the wildcard race! Don't count on Boston to choke - as much as it pains me to say it there staff has been much more consistent in the past few years and as long as they stay healthy (don't discount banana peels from turning up outside Fenway! :P ) it will not be easy to catch them.

The most impressive part of this season has been the Yankees minor league talent coming up and delivering in a major major league way! Duncan, Hughes, Kennedy and of course Chamberlain (being stalked by none other than our own Oswegowind - can you say T-O-P? :o ). Now maybe Cashman will stop trading away our YOUNG talent for big name (and $$$$) veterans on the tail end of their careers!

Look out in 2008!

Yankees play in Kansas City tonight!:

Coming off a decent homestand, the Yanks head back to the road, again. First stop, Kansas City, KS and the Royals, victims of A-Rod's 499 and 500th homeruns. Alex, coming off a 2 home run performance on Wednesday, both in the 7th inning, says he is ready to continue the push and put the heat on Boston and reminded us that this isn't 2006! His numbers are great to say the least and should leave K.C. with at least 50 homers for the year. Wednesday also yielded an outstanding look into the Yankees pitching future, once again. Phil Hughes got back on track with 6 strong innings giving up 2 runs, his best start in 3 tries. He turned it over to the unhittable, Joba Chamberlain, who didn't strike out anyone for the first time in any of his appearances, but retired the M's 1-2-3. The eighth belonged to another rookie, Edwar Ramirez, whose nasty change-up coupled with a 90+ fastball is fooling seasoned hitters everywhere. Edwar has proven he belongs since his one bad outing that Torre has taken responsibility for. The youngsters in the pen, coupled with Mo and Luis Vizcaino have really shored up the weakest part of the Yankee boat. No more guessing with Dr. Proctor (LA Dodgers-Betemit trade), but when will they get rid of Farnsworth (fastest pitcher to choke-96+mph fastball), it is time for him to go, he is not dependable and has no confidence in his arm...he would be great for the Orioles, if they want to give us Bedard...LOL. Back to the task at hand, tonight the Yankees send Ian Kennedy back to the mound, Kennedy surpassed all expectations last week and if he actually brings his stuff tonight, this may be something to watch! Also, Joba can pitch again tonight, and if he does it may be a 2 inning spot, as long as the Yanks don't carry a 30 minute inning in between again. Joba has already toasted the Royals once, and if he gets in against this free-swinging club tonight, we are in for a show...my guess is 5 of 6 outs on strikes...fastball, slider, "blow you away" fastball, and if needed, "you couldn't hit this with a tennis racket" slider!!! Stay tuned.

MFY is a beat reporter for EMTb Sports with aspirations of one day kicking John Sterling and that bimbo out of the Yankees radio booth and giving up Police dispatching to announce (and stalk-according to Chris192) the Yankees!

Don't be so hard on what ever her name is. There was nothing funnier this year than listening to her lose her mind when she saw Clemens return. If I ever see john sterling I'm gonna punch him in his neck and tell him it was an A-bomb from A-rod because Bernie went boom and the Jiambino hit another one. He calls a good game, but he is a jackass. I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but I would happily support your turn in booth Oswego so long as I get a chance to see Sterling as he's leaving.

That last time a group of young Yankees came up in the middle of the season to lead the team to a late season come back it was a bunch of no names like Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte. Yeah, they didn't make it out of the Wildcard series, but this was the start to a pretty impressive run.

Oswego...you looking for a career change bro? Sports journalism? LOL. Journal news? Daily news? ESPN The Magazine? Nice posts though on a serious notes.

And for once will all the Mets fans please sit down and just shut up already. As if you all weren't holding your breath for about 2 weeks as that lead started dwindling and the Phillies looked like they were taking you to the bank. Take it easy...its still September and the Mets can still choke it as usual.

Actually, before we met, this is what I wanted to do. Growing up and all. Maybe one day, but for now I am working on my pension, and then we will see after that!

BTW Yanks play tonight! A-Rod at 52 homers and looking to break the NY Yankees single season record over the last 2 weeks of the season. He actually stands a great chance since he has hit 7 homers in the last 5 games...even with all that SHOULDER PAIN...LMAO. If Hughes can repeat his last performance, I and everyone in the Empire will take it...and lets try to keep our screams of "MINE" to ourselves...even though it was one of the funniest plays of the year. Rodriguez, was also named last week's MLB player of the week, like there was going to be a question about that! Yanks, Jays, 15 minutes, TV YES, Radio WCBS 880 in the metro NY market!!!! Let's Get It On!

Yankees Youth shines through once again; Hughes, Ramirez, and Ohlendorf combine in 9-2 Yankee victory in Toronto!

The NY Yankees have completed their 6th straight victory, this time behind the second straight impressive start from one of their future stars, Phil Hughes (#65, lowest number available ending in 5). Hughes showed signs of struggle in the 2nd inning but was able to push through after giving up 2 runs, only 1 earned, which would be all Toronto could muster. Hughes wasn't the strike out machine he has been advertised to become, but his 2nd straight 6 inning performance has the Yankee brass patting themselves on the back once again. Torre kept with the youth tonight, bringing in Edwar Ramires (#31). Edwar was impressive as well, pitching the 7th and 8th innings, striking out 5 Blue Jays while yielding just 2 meaningless hits and walking none. The 9th brought on the next future star, Ross Ohlendorf (#UNK), a potential reliever for years to come. Ohlendorf was drafted in the 2004 amateur draft's 4th round by the Diamond Backs and was part of last years Randy Johnson trade deal. Ohlendorf pitched a perfect 9th inning, striking out 1. As well, the Yanks came out punching on offense once again, scoring 3 in the 2nd to put them ahead, which would be for good. Jorge Posada (#20) added his 20th homer of the season in the 3rd inning, and finished 2-3 with 3 runs scored. His performance this season has been outstanding, only overshadowed by the of teammate Alex Rodriguez (#13). Posada is now hitting .338 for the season, and is easily enroute to his best season ever. The Yanks blew it open in the 5th inning, when Toronto starter, Shaun Marcum (#28), let the bases get full of Pinstripes (not literal as they were wearing away gray). In to the box with 1 out stepped Jason Giambi (#25). Giambi would swing and everyone would score as he hit his 13th home run of the year, a Grand Slam. Hideki Matsui (#55) would add an RBI ground out in the 6th to complete the scoring.

For the Yankees, they continue to pull ahead in the wild card standings, as Detroit split a day/night double header with the Rangers. Seattle plays late at home against Oakland. The Devil Rays knocked Wakefield out early in Boston, but the Red Sox have since 16 runs off of Tampa's staff and lead 16-9 in the top of the 8th. Tampa Bay's starter, Andy Sonnastine, was obviously not as sharp as he was last week in NY when he beat the Yankees, shutting them out. Guess he didn't feel Boston was as big a stage as NY and didn't bring his A-game!!!!!

Game Notes:

Johnny Damon (#18) went 3-5 driving in 2 and scoring once. Damon actually came to the plate 6 times, and was struck by a pitch, which does not count as an at-bat.

Hideki Matsui, although driving in his 92nd run of the year, continues to struggle at the plate, going 0-4 and leaving 7 men on base.

Hughes faced 25 batters in his 6 innings, throwing 106 pitches, 67 for strikes. A hefty pitch count for 6 innings.

A somewhat off night for Alex Rodriguez, who over the past 7 days was hitting .579, with 7 homers, 10 RBI while leading the Yankees to 6 straight wins.

Posada, now batting .338, remains 4th in the AL. Technically having an MVP season, including his best ever average wise (prior was 2000 season, .287 BA), however is not even a close 2nd to A-Rod.

Statistics provided by MLB.com. Commentary original. Where is my press pass?

5 games back with three against the sox...recently the sox fans have been slightly more muted Could this be a little reality creeping up on them?? Considering one game will most likely be against Wakefield I like to think about it as 4 games back.

Coming up, tonight's post game report from Toronto (not really, but I am watching the game from my leather chair). Stay tuned for Yankees Digest on EMTBravo.net. As for now, Joba is pitching, so I have to go back to work. Someone pass me a heiniken light!

Moose came up with nearly 6 strong innings of baseball scattering 5 hits and three walks with his much improved location and a little more heat on his fastball. He relied heavily on his infield inducing a lot of ground balls, but handed over a 4-0 lead with two on and two out to Edwar Ramirez. Joba Chamberlain came in and pitched a scoreless 7th before giving up a run on an A-rod throwing error in the 8th. Mariano came in to finish out the 8th and then cleaned up the 9th for his 26th save. Matsui drove in Abreu on a double and A-rod later scored on a wild pitch in the first. In the 4th Matsui and Posada scored off a Robinson Cano line drive single to left. The Yanks are still 5 back of the Sox and 4 up on Detroit as both won their games.

Thanks...I got tied up...

Game Notes:

Matsui 1-2 with 2 walks...this means he will start hitting again real soon, just in time for Boston!

Alex Rodriguez has gone 3 games without hitting a homerun.

Joba Chamberlain (as seen on the left) allowed his 1st major league run, albeit unearned secondary to an error by A-Rod. Controversy still reigns on the play, although the run still counts. The runner (Hill), after touching the base, did not continue down the line, instead he veered off towards 2nd base. In little league, if you did that, and were tagged, you were out...I guess they don't follow the same rules in the majors? I believe it is on the books and he should have been called out, ending the inning there!

League News:

The Red Sox get some punch from Big Papi! Ortiz hit 2 homers including a 2 run blast with 1 out in the 9th inning for a walk off job! Why, did they pitch to him in the 9th, even with 1 guy on...that is even worse...WALK HIM! He lives for that moment...take it away, maybe the Devil Rays are giving it away, but they played hard against the Yanks...do I smell favoritism?

Detroit won, remaining 4 games back of the Yanks in the wildcard. Seattle who? Although they beat Oakland, they are 7 back.

MLB announced that the team with the best record would get to chose which schedule they will follow in the playoffs, A or B, A has 2 off days, while B has 3. This is a first!

Yanks play in Toronto again tonight...no HD still though do to that damn fire in Stamford, CT that wiped out the transmission feeding equipment. 7:07pm TV, YES Network; Radio, WCBS 880AM (metro NY market); WEB, MLB.com/TV, however no Yankee game is ever out of market, another reason to be a Yankee fan!

Tonight's Matchup:

Ian (Baby Moose) Kennedy (1-0, 2.25) vs. A.J. Burnett (8-7, 3.56)

Yankee Press Release:

The Yankees would like to announce, that the Yankee Stadium Squirrel, whom lives atop the right field foul post, has been officially named Scooter, in honor of the late Phil Rizzuto. It is the belief of many fans that Phil, has been re-incarnated as a Squirrel and lives at the Stadium, so he will always be at home.

Edited by Oswegowind

well im for the boston red sox.

I was at the game on Labor Day and watched the Mariners snap their nine game loosing streak on the Yanks...... Had great seats to a crummy game....Bummer..... I took these photo's and thought you might be interested........ I have more if their's interest..... I know I probably shouldn't quit my day job :unsure: Go Yanks!

195317701-L.jpg

Kim Jones of the YES Network cracks a smile for me before her pre-game broadcast.....

195317811-L.jpg

Jeter makes it into second........

195317870-L.jpg

"Dead Man Running" Posada throws to first......

195318652-L.jpg

A-Rod up close and personal......

195318677-L.jpg

Ichiro in a run-down.....

Can we get a moderator on here to start controlling this board. These kind of inflammatory posts are what is ruining this board.

well im for the boston red sox.

Damn bill, how good are your seats?!

I wish they were "my" seats.....My wife got four of her firms season tickets which were four rows from the field..... As the game started to go down hill, I moved to the recently vacated seats in the first row..... Hopefully her boss will be as kind again in the future and we can see a winning game...... :rolleyes:

Edited by Photounit

Who CHOKED tonight!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I would have given up a body part for good seats at tonights game........