Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest feraldan

Canadian Firefighter Kills Good Samaritan

15 posts in this topic

Samaritan Struck, Killed by Canadian Firefighter

LIZ MONTEIRO,

The Record (Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario)

Tom Walker thought of others before himself. It was how the 53-year-old New Dundee man lived his life, and it was how he died.

Today, Walker is being hailed as a Good Samaritan who was just trying to lend a hand when he was struck and killed on a Wilmot Township road over the weekend.

Walker and his wife, Linda Barton, were enjoying a warm Sunday morning when they heard a loud bang metres from their home on Huron Road, just east of Queen Street.

The couple ran outside to a car that appeared mangled and twisted around a large tree. They called 911.

Inside the car, a Volkswagen Passat, was a 19-year-old Kitchener man. He appeared seriously injured but was conscious. He asked Walker for a Kleenex.

Barton stayed with the injured man while her husband went to the house to get some tissues. It was about 7:30 a.m.

Meanwhile, a 23-year-old volunteer firefighter from the New Dundee area had heard about the crash and was rushing to the scene to help.

But as Walker made his way back to the injured driver, the firefighter's speeding Grand Prix crested the hill and hit Walker on the side of the road.

With his wife watching, he was thrown into the air and landed near a fire truck. He died at the scene.

Walker, a manager with Bell Canada and the father of two grown sons, had lived on Huron Road for about four years.

At the site of the crash yesterday, his brother-in-law, John Barton, hammered a wooden cross into the ground.

John Barton's three young children placed fresh-cut flowers at the cross.

Barton, who lives in Ottawa, described Walker as someone who was always conscious of others.

"He was always helping someone in need," he said. "There are not too many people left like him.''

To make sure people visiting his home were safe, Walker built a turnaround in the driveway. Visitors were asked to enter one way and exit another, so they could see traffic approaching the hill.

"He was always concerned with this road," Barton said. "It's very dangerous."

Sgt. Fred Gregory of the traffic branch of Waterloo regional police said speed was a factor in both collisions.

Alcohol played a role in the first one, he said.

The crashes are still under investigation and no charges have been laid.

Police said the 19-year-old Volkswagen driver was heading east on Huron Road when his car veered onto the shoulder and he lost control of the car.

In an attempt to get the car back on the road, the driver swerved and smashed into the tree.

About 10 firefighters who arrived on the scene after the first crash watched as their colleague hit Walker.

The young volunteer firefighter had tried to brake but lost control of his car.

Chief John Ritz of the Wilmot Township Fire Department said the firefighters are having a hard time coping. On Sunday afternoon, they got some help from the Kitchener Fire Department's critical incident team, Ritz said.

"I've got to commend my men for their actions, to have seen something like that occur, but they carried on and stayed focused," he said. "They showed a great deal of professionalism.''

The driver of the Volkswagen was airlifted to Hamilton General Hospital, where he remains. Police said his injuries were not life-threatening.

Sgt. Fred Gregory said speed continues to be a significant factor in highway crashes in Waterloo Region.

"We go over this every long weekend,'' he said. "People need to slow down and pay attention.''

Huron Road was closed 11 hours on Sunday while traffic and forensic identification officers tried to reconstruct the crashes.

Walker is survived by his wife and two sons, Jordan Walker, 21, and Brodie Walker, 19.

A graveside service will be held at Pardoville Cemetery in Chatham-Kent on Thursday at 2 p.m.

Yet another reminder to slow down and use caution when responding. Also another reminder that the US is not the only country with these sorts of issues.

Such a waste. Condolences to Walker's Family and friends.

Stay safe and remember. SLOW DOWN!

Too many close calls in my dept.

"I've got to commend my men for their actions, to have seen something like that occur, but they carried on and stayed focused," he said. "They showed a great deal of professionalism How about his wife,she witnessed her husband getting hit.

Wow - talk about adding to the problem instead of helping it........ Lets all just slow down and MAKE SURE WE GET THERE SAFE!!!!!!! No matter what the call is maybe it would be helpful to count to 10 before you go speeding away, to give yourself a little time to relax and let the adrenaline settle. These things should never happen - its just careless.

How many times will we as senior people say it, tunnel vision gets people seriously injured or killed. As a responder, you do no one any good if you don't get to the scene. Drive safely and arrive. enough said.

This is just another reminder to not become or create a statistic, Slow Down no matter what you area driving to a run.

The frist thing "the firefighter's speeding Grand Prix crested the hill and hit Walker on the side of the road."

The second thing "About 10 firefighters who arrived on the scene after the first crash watched as their colleague hit Walker" :unsure:

When I used to teach EVOC I always hammered into people that your actions as a driver can impact lives in a split second. You have to be careful and think about what you are doing. The wife of the person killed, the other responders and the driver himself now will have to live with this as well as face possible legal issues. All will fell the brunt of this in one way or another.

For the sake of your fellow responders, the public, and yourself.....slow down!!!

Its not your emergency....SLOW DOWN! The most important and hardest part is getting there.

Does your garbage man come around the corner and get excited to see garbage cans? Then why do some get into a frenzy when a call comes in?

The frist thing "the firefighter's speeding Grand Prix crested the hill and hit Walker on the side of the road."

The second thing "About 10 firefighters who arrived on the scene after the first crash watched as their colleague hit Walker" :unsure:

Are you guys reading the article? He was driving his own car to the scene, not any emergency vehicle, and he was speeding too!(thats what the paper said). Maybe they alow members to go to the scene in there cars. It sounded like they had enough of manpower at the scene.

Does it matter what he was driving? It think my post covers it either way and most volunteer/combo departments in this area have volunteers responding on their POV's.

Are you guys reading the article? He was driving his own car to the scene, not any emergency vehicle, and he was speeding too!(thats what the paper said). Maybe they alow members to go to the scene in there cars. It sounded like they had enough of manpower at the scene.

EXACTLY!! As soon as you hear sufficient manpower has been gathered and some equipment has gone enroute....unplug the light. We need to slow it down, ESPECIALLY if you know you are closer to the scene than the station, you never know what or who will be near the scene.

I RARELY use my blue light, and I get to the station just fine and in time. We must always think about our actions and put safety first.

My sympathies to the family, my heart goes out to them.

slow down, better to arrive safely then to not arrive at all

Edited by seanc

I know its been said all ready, but SLOW DOWN. If you kill someone because you were going to fast there is no defense. There is absolutely nothing you can say to justify your actions. I know its frustrating missing the accident or the big fire, but stop this crap. Its silly we're all adults here just stop doing this crap. I know people on this very board that drive like animals going to alarms. Read these stories and grow up.

Its not your emergency....SLOW DOWN! The most important and hardest part is getting there.

Does your garbage man come around the corner and get excited to see garbage cans? Then why do some get into a frenzy when a call comes in?

Actually, I think at least one of them does. Every Monday and Thursday I see him doing swan dives through the trash! BFD1054, you know who you are!

As for this incident, it is sad, can happen anywhere, and will continue to happen everywhere which is even sadder.