Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Have to be Registered to View the Forums!

17 posts in this topic

This is a great idea. No more snooping by people that don't want to be involved. Love the idea Seth. Makes it easier to post things that some will find offense to. If they can't see it, too bad! By having to register you have an idea of who is looking at what! Thank you for taking this action!

Not a fan. But it is a private site so.....

Ok, so maybe I am/was looking in the wrong place, but is this just an idea that Seth threw out, one that one of us threw out, or is it actually going into effect?

I have thought for a long time that it should be like that, that you had to register to even SEE the forums, so that those people out there, labeler LURKERS, have to put in who they are. I wish that there was also a way to make it that they had to PARTICIPATE TOO to gain access to view things, because I know there are people out there who look to find information that has been posted, just to take that back to their respective firehouse(s) and crucify said individual for something they said. I hardly think it fair that they can come in under the guise of anonymity, and find out things being said/discussed, and then miraculously be able to jump into a discussion, or have "vital information/blackmail" when it comes time to berate another person for something that was said!

[/RANT]

I don't know how much I like this idea either... but its Seth's site.

After seeing the thewatchdesk site know I know why this is being done by Seth.It may take a little more effort. This show's the Admid is trying to keep a quailty site for all to use.

speaking of watchdesk -- what an amazing site -- the pg county, maryland forum is always active with very interesting topics and ideas.

It is a completely diff site from this as you can imagine - this is a great site for westchester, but i guess people in westchester get there feelings hurt where as on the watcdesk you say what you want however you want.

Good Idea. This will make the snoopers either join in the discussions or leave. I support it. I like to see a little about who I am talking too also, their experience, age, affiliations etc. etc., and if they leave things blank they either dont have experience or are just stubborn....either way I tend to leave them alone. ;)

This site has some talented, educated, experienced people whom I enjoy learning from. There are some members I actually look forward to seeing posts from and actively seek their names when I first sign on. This will just make the site more enjoyable without the senseless jabs and insults from people we know nothing about. Now at least you need to submit some basic info about yourself and its on the post for all to see. STand behind your opinions and comments, instead of hiding behind a computer name.

PS- What is the "watch desk", another web forum? Is there an address for this site? Thank You.

Edited by Jonesy368

Ok, so maybe I am/was looking in the wrong place, but is this just an idea that Seth threw out, one that one of us threw out, or is it actually going into effect?

I have thought for a long time that it should be like that, that you had to register to even SEE the forums, so that those people out there, labeler LURKERS, have to put in who they are. I wish that there was also a way to make it that they had to PARTICIPATE TOO to gain access to view things, because I know there are people out there who look to find information that has been posted, just to take that back to their respective firehouse(s) and crucify said individual for something they said. I hardly think it fair that they can come in under the guise of anonymity, and find out things being said/discussed, and then miraculously be able to jump into a discussion, or have "vital information/blackmail" when it comes time to berate another person for something that was said!

[/RANT]

Seems to me that this new policy is already in effect. caught me by surprise when I tried to login. Don't know that I agree with this choice. I personally think that this might limit the number of new signups, as people might see the boards as "members only, we don't want outsiders". Yes, I know anyone can join and it doesnt cost anything. I would rather see the last ten threads as public, then the sub-boards as you have to register to see. This would let new people see what it is that goes on here, and see the wide spectrum of topics, and subboards that exist here.

There are always going to be lurkers on any board. People that like to read the topics and don't reply for whatever reason. There isnt really an effective way to combat that.

It sounds like you have personal experience with someone using information obtained on this board for negative purposes. That totally defetatsthe purpose of this board. Unfortunately there isnt really any way to combat this. The site owners are doing everything they can to keep this a constructive site. This includes requiring members to be "verified" to post. Although I am not sure if any of the ID info is actually verified or if it is just checked that it is there. I would imagine that actually verifying information would take quite a while. Maybe requiring a working non-free service email address in addition to the other contact info. The other step the site owners have taken is to require a login to read any posts. They seem to have locked it down as much as they can without making emtbravo a pay site. Thats the only way, that i see, to totally keep out the people that aren't going to contribute.

I think its a great proactive move seth,after seeing the watchdesk,it helps to keep the yahoo spoons at bay,even a little helps alot.

Thanks for the input.

Too many people were reading the forums, making and passing judgement, without even becoming a part of the community. This move will help to drive up member registrations, and allow us to communicate better with all of those who view the forum. The next phase of this is to delete inactive members, and to have a minimum post quota per year to maintain your membership. Also, the Verified Member program will be completly revised.

As always, we're constantly making changes to evolve the forum and make it better for all of our members. This step is one of many to come over the next few months aimed at increasing the constructive discussion on the site. It will also include a complete revision of the forums rules, and a member advisory panel, and well as clear and consistent moderation protocols.

I think that the site is great...I lurked before I joined, just to get a sense of how things went. Plus, I was told by family members that this is a must see site, they weren't wrong...Keep it up

I like the idea as well. Now maybe "the public could read this" whiners can stop using that as an excuse as to not discuss problems/issues.

It sounds like you have personal experience with someone using information obtained on this board for negative purposes. That totally defetatsthe purpose of this board. Unfortunately there isnt really any way to combat this.

Well, at least it is a first step. Previously, even as a member of "the public" who had not registered, you could read topics, and your name would not show up as viewing the forum.

At least not, if they have registered, it WILL pop up who is viewing the forum, and you can not be as SNEAKY and low down as they used to be.

Also, whatEVER in this world would make you think that jayhalsey?? :rolleyes:

Don't care for the complete setup but it's private so ....oh well. Used to like checking on jobs where I used to work and a little bit of a pain to have to sign in just to look at them

See that the board is once again open to the public, or so it seems.

It let me at least see the homepage of last 10 topics before I had to login.

Did the owner decide to go back to the old system, or is he trying something else?

Well, at least it is a first step. Previously, even as a member of "the public" who had not registered, you could read topics, and your name would not show up as viewing the forum.

At least not, if they have registered, it WILL pop up who is viewing the forum, and you can not be as SNEAKY and low down as they used to be.

Also, whatEVER in this world would make you think that jayhalsey?? :rolleyes:

To be honest with you, it had never occurred to me that someone would use this board the way you described. And you described the scenario with such detail, that i just figured. Anyway, that really sucks that some cretin would use this board for that, and it totally goes against what I beleieve the point of this board to be.

I see what you are getting at with requiring people to be registered to even view posts. That would list them at the bottom in the lsit of viewers, but I personally dont really look at the list. And what's to say that someone is going to register with their actual information? Are there any checks in place to ensure that?