Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

First Female Yonkers Firefighter

15 posts in this topic

Historic night in Yonkers: First female firefighter to be sworn in

(Original publication: September 7, 2007)

YONKERS - Five years after scoring higher than all but 11 men on a competitive firefighter's test, Lianne Navedo will break history tonight by becoming the first female firefighter in the Yonkers Fire Department's 111-year history.

She will also become one of the few paid female firefighters anywhere in Westchester County.

The ceremony is planned for 6 p.m. tonight, the fire department confirmed at noon today.

Navedo earned a spot on the short list in 2002 by outperforming males on both the physical test and the written exam.

She was backed up by a federal order in 2004 requiring Yonkers to keep the list open.

Yonkers and other big city fire departments in Westchester are under a 1980 federal decree to increase their ranks of minority and female firefighters.

Navedo, who is married to a Yonkers fire lieutenant, says her motivation to join the department was the inspiring example of firefighters to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Among the victims that day were 343 New York City firefighters.

Fittingly, the anniversary for that infamous day is just around the corner.

Good luck Lianne for joining the ranks!

Best of luck and welcome to the family Lianne!

"Five years after scoring higher than all but 11 men"

Just to correct this quote, she was ranked #52 on the list, not #12.

I think they mean in her group! She's probably better for the job than me...I am so out of shape...unless round is in. Good for her!!!!

Congrats, Lianne! My best wishes for a long SAFE and successful career!

good luck!!! I think that women have a place in the fire service, just look at San Francisco. I hope she has a long and safe career

Wow. How did Yonkers get away with that for so long in this day and age? If that was the case in NYC they'd have recruiters running all over the womens colleges etc... Congrats!

Sounds like she can do the job. Good for her. Go get em.

Wow. How did Yonkers get away with that for so long in this day and age? If that was the case in NYC they'd have recruiters running all over the womens colleges etc... Congrats!

Cause it's the City of Hills, where nothing is on the level.....