Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

2007 Metro North Open House

19 posts in this topic

For all you train buffs Metro North will again host an Open House at their Croton Harmon shops on Saturday October 20, 2007 from 10 am to 3 pm.

Good time for all, if you have kids, it is always fun, lots of hand outs...pencils,magnets,whistles, etc. Also allows you to see equipment up close...emergency exits, fuel shut offs,etc. Staff on hand is usually real knowledgeable and willing to answer questions.

Here is the link : http://mta.info/mnr/html/harmon_openhouse.htm

Edited by grumpyff

Good looking out - very cool......my little guy will be in his glory!

Don't forget, it's next Saturday.

Bump for tommorow, anyone from here planning on attending?

My brother-in-law is a new foreman...he will be there. My daughter is going...I will be sleeping, working a double tonight overnight!

Going to try to attend, but already have a busy day ahead. Most likely depends on how my son is feeling (just came home sick)

Metro-North to hold open house at Croton-Harmon rail yard

By CAREN HALBFINGER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 19, 2007)

If you've ever wondered what it's like to work on the railroad or you know some children who would love a behind-the-scenes peek at all that goes into keeping the trains on track, stop by Metro-North's open house tomorrow at the Croton-Harmon rail yard.

From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., visitors can tour the railroad's largest maintenance facility, take a fall foliage train ride, and watch Metro-North workers show off their mechanical and technical abilities during an ongoing series of informative demonstrations.

It's fun and it's free.

Get up close to a wide variety of passenger coaches, locomotives and specialized track equipment. Operate a track switch with the click of a computer mouse and watch the rails move into position, then get onboard a diesel train for a 50-minute fall foliage train trip through the Hudson Highlands at the peak of leaf season

The best way to get to Harmon Shop is to take a Hudson Line train to the Croton-Harmon station, where free shuttle buses can take you to the shop.

Or, from points south by car, take the New York State Thruway to exit 9, Tarrytown. Go left onto Route 119 for 1/5 of a mile. Make a right onto Route 9, and continue north for 14 miles. After crossing the Croton River Bridge, take the first exit to Croton Point Avenue and look for signs toward free parking.

If you're driving from southeast of Croton, take I-287 to the New York State Thruway entrance at Elmsford, and follow the directions above.

I attended the Open House. I got there at 10AM, and it was already mobbed.

I was impressed by the display the was put on by Metro-North, and not suprised with their excellent hospitality, which refelects, IMO, in all their operations.

However, the one dissapointment was the attitude of other railfans. Some people there was so egotisitcal, selfish, and just plain rude that it makes me embarrased to be a railfan.

I attended the Open House. I got there at 10AM, and it was already mobbed.

I was impressed by the display the was put on by Metro-North, and not suprised with their excellent hospitality, which refelects, IMO, in all their operations.

However, the one dissapointment was the attitude of other railfans. Some people there was so egotisitcal, selfish, and just plain rude that it makes me embarrased to be a railfan.

Seth -

What happened?

I managed to get there around 11 am. Some of the railfans (NOT ALL) were more concerned with taking photos of locomotives/ train cars than anything else. I saw a couple railfans who got upset anytime someone got near whatever they were trying to photograph, even if it was a little kid. Metro North staff was excellent as usual, and showed pride in their respective crafts/assignments/ and displays.

Edited by grumpyff

Seth, don't be embarrassed, just don't be afraid to step up to them when they're saying "STAY BACK! I'M shooting that locomotive SO GET OUT OF MY SHOT!"

The "ME!,ME!,and only ME!" generation is responsible for this. Luckily there are exceptions. It's unforunate because now this thinking will also affect all of us. So when vollies, EMS guys and gals (who are already crapped on), Career ff's, and Cops get a call just for making one little mistake,(i.e. going 37 in a 35, not showing up fast enough, etc...) they'll get crapped on.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

Seth -

What happened?

Well, several times I got berated by railfans for getting in the way of their cameras. At one point, I was trying to look at a locomotive on display, and they were set up on their tripods and thought they owned the area. They cursed at me, and told me that I should get out of the way of the camera and away from the display until they were done.

Also, I asked a question about a Maintainence-Of-Way truck, and a railfan who was also at the exhibit said called me an idiot and I should let the "real railfans" have their times with the employees. And some other real wierd people.

It's a nice family outing, and it's very nice of Metro North to put on such a production, but I wish that from 10-2 it was open, and then from like 2-4 it would be for railfans only. It's hard really looking at stuff with kids running all over the place and crowding booths. But, I would be doing the same thing at that age.

It was fun and interesting though. I should have some photos soon, not any good ones though.

Seth I couldn't agree with you more, I worked the open house for the Power Dept. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch. There definately were a few obnoxious railfans who thought they knew it all about everything. For the most part though I certainly saw more of the families and definately more kids than anything else, but again I was behind the displays all day and not mingling with the crowd. Believe me most of the employees at MNRR know the rude and annoying types as soon as they open their mouths, but love working the open house as much as people love coming to it

Seth I couldn't agree with you more, I worked the open house for the Power Dept. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil the bunch. There definately were a few obnoxious railfans who thought they knew it all about everything. For the most part though I certainly saw more of the families and definately more kids than anything else, but again I was behind the displays all day and not mingling with the crowd. Believe me most of the employees at MNRR know the rude and annoying types as soon as they open their mouths, but love working the open house as much as people love coming to it

I was at the Open House today as well and just want to say thanks to you and the others at MNRR. I hadn't been there in a few years so it was nice to see the displays again as well as the courtesy, patience, and knowledge of the Metro North employees. I was also noticing today how much work must go into preparing the facility for such a huge public event. And only for five hours, once a year!!!!

Again thanks to you and your co-workers for making a fun event for young and old!!

We went...I took a bunch of non-professional pics...will post them someday...

As far as the snotty people.... why cant they ever antagonize me??? :D

Seth - I kept an eye out for you, but didnt spot you......saw Peter Mac, havnt seen him since I left The Big e....another guy I have seen in your pics, maybe someome on yer job....don't know

I went to the open house yesterday. I loved it . Many thanks to Metro North and their employees for putting on such a wonderful display. I made the whole day a Railroad themed by taking a train Form South Norwalk to Grand Central for breakfast and up to Croton Harmon for the open house. I like diesel locomotives and they had many types there. My favorites are the FL-9 and F-10's . I have a new appreciation for the electric trains they use and maintain. I was most impressed with the wheel shop and the machine shop. The MTA police dogs were cool too. Thanks again Metro North for a great day. I did notice some of the photographers getting annoyed with people getting in their shots. Pehaps a time set aside for them before or after the open house would work out for them.

It is not a day for rail fans in particular, it is an open house to express what they do and what services they offer to give the general public a better understanding! If they want pics that are uninterrupted, then rent a locomotive and park it in their yard! It wasn't an invite event! I took pics at an event recently and I didn't hold up the line nor did I get pissy with anyone, just took what I could get!