Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest bibbles10504

significance of 5-5-5-5 when LODD occurs

8 posts in this topic

I have probably heard the answer to this before, but I guess it slipped my mind. When a LODD occurs there is often something posted on here with the black and purple band, with the numbers 5-5-5-5 I was wondering if anyone could tell me the significance of that and where it came from?

Thanks

It is an old telegraph signal, from the days of telegraph alarms. 5-5-5-5 was struck like a box numer. I may be wrong on the next part but I think it was originally used for any major announcement but has become most associated with Line of Duty Deaths.

..One hundred years ago, New York City Fire Department had direct telegraphs in the firehouses to announce alarms and department message. The alarms were transmitted in a series of clicks, that rang a bell in the companies quarters. Five bells, pause, five bells, pause, five bells, pause five bells; tolls the alarm for a fallen firefighter

..One hundred years ago, New York City Fire Department had direct telegraphs in the firehouses to announce alarms and department message. The alarms were transmitted in a series of clicks, that rang a bell in the companies quarters. Five bells, pause, five bells, pause, five bells, pause five bells; tolls the alarm for a fallen firefighter

Mmm, that lovely thing tradition - we still have those bells in my companies quarters. Personally, I can't tell 1-2-3 apart from 1-1-1-3 - but that's probably 'cos I have no rhythm :lol: I just listen to see whether our house siren goes off or not!

The 5 5 5 5 IS from the old telegraph system. But it's a signal to advise the house watch to put the flag at half staff. Not that there was an LODD. It was assumed that's what it was for because the flag woiuld be put at half staff for few other reasons. Now they TX the 5 5 5 5 as a formality. Then TX the information of the DEATH.

Amazingly enough I know some old salts that will actually wake up to their bells. Funny as hell to see them bolt out of bed in the middle of cape cod because someone happened upon a copy of their bells.

Amazingly enough I know some old salts that will actually wake up to their bells. Funny as hell to see them bolt out of bed in the middle of cape cod because someone happened upon a copy of their bells.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta get that on tape...and youtube it!