Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Yanks Roll On!

37 posts in this topic

Since the old Wildcard one really didn't make sense anymore, I am starting a new one, for the last 12 games of the season!

September 18, 2007, Yankees v. Orioles, Yankee Stadium, The Bronx. Game time 7:05. Mussina v. Leicester!

Moose Eggs! Yanks blank O's behind Mussina's 2nd straight Stellar Perfomance!

Tonight I report to you live from just leaving Yankee Stadium! My wife and I took our daughter to the game, 400 or so dollars later, it was worth it. Seats were hot!

Mike Mussina (#35) got the start and turned in nothing less than what we need to get into and move through October. Moose brought is A-game and blanked the O's for 7 while allowing just 3 hits, 2 to Orioles catcher Ramon Hernandez. Tejada got the 3rd hit off Moose in the top of the 7th inning, a weak check swing grounder down the third base line. The Yanks put a 6 spot on the board in the 4th, as the struggling Matsui, who homered yesterday, smacked a 2 run double into the right field corner. Two batters later, Doug Mientkiewicz (#11) cracked the long ball, into the right field upper deck! The Yanks would go on to score 12, while the O's finished with the measly 3 hits they got off Moose. Veras and Villone cleaned up the last 2 innings as Mientkiewicz and Matsui added another RBI each. Matsui now has 98, as well as Bobby Abreu (#53). 11 games left! In other news, Toronto rallied in the 8th, beating the Red Sox 4-3. The Yanks now trail the Sox by just 2.5 games (2 in the loss column). As well, Cleveland rallied from 4 down at home to wipe out Detroit, 7-4, giving the Yanks a larger edge in the Wildcard race, now they lead by 4.5 and their magic number is seven! Just to give you an idea of what this means, the Yanks could finish the season 6-5 and Detroit would need to go undefeated in the same period of time!

post-51-1190177204.jpg

post-51-1190177227.jpg

The second picture in the last post shows where my co-workers sat! The two girls are YPD dispatchers...they got free tickets that our Communications Lieutenant gave me to go retrieve at the Stadium a couple of weeks ago! I gave mine away and then bought the better seats! I guess you can't pick and choose free! They came down and sat with us in the 8th and 9th innings though!

Only 2 1/2 out for the Yankees and the Phillies are going to overtake the Mets in the NL East. :lol:

Edited by SPFC56-233

Amazing -- I was at the game last night as well and I dont know if you realized but when they put the score of the red sox game on the big screen they were also playing the song "We wont stop believing......." -- It was awesome while the whole place went nuts........:) and i just cant wait till the end of the season when the yankees are the AL EAST CHAMPS ONCE AGAIN........

Do not forget about Scooter the lucky Squirrel who has helped the Yankees make this run.

Do not forget about Scooter the lucky Squirrel who has helped the Yankees make this run.

I was sitting almost at the base of the foul pole and we were looking for him all night! Wanted my own pics of the squirrel!

1.5 GAMES BEHIND. WOOO HOOOO :D

Nice Pics. Going to the game Sunday.

Massachusetts members may want to avoid this Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Tale of 3 Cities! New York Shakes Their Booties, while Boston and Detroit Shake Their Heads!

More drama than realty TV or any story written by Shakespeare! Yankees fans continue to cheer, while Red Sox and Tigers fans begin to hold their breath. As usual, with the brisk air comes October, and late September baseball, and when you thought it couldn't get any better it smacks you in the face, and it hurts a bit more because of that chill in the air! Red Sox fans are pretty sure they are in, Detroit fans are facing the music, and Yankee fans are loving every moment of it! As Andy Pettitte (#46) notched his 200th career victory in a 2-1 Yankee win at the Stadium, Jonathan Papelbon was off to the clubhouse to sulk. While Pettitte pitched 7 2/3 allowing 1 run on 7 hits facing Brian Bures who was just as good tonight, let alone 1 wild pitch, Papelbon was watching that small white ball sail through the air in Toronto, landing where no one could get to it! Papelbon had given up a Grand Slam to Toronto's Russ Adams. The Red Sox were already losing 2-1 but this homerun would make it official, the Sox have lost 4 straight. In the mean time, Joba Chamberlain (#62) struck out the O's Melvin Mora, fastball-Houdini slider-Houdini slider, on 3 pitches! Mariano Rivera (#42) would close it out in the 9th, of course he couldn't make it easy on our ulcers! Mo, gave up a 1 out double to Nick Markakis, a fly out to left by Kevin Millar and there were 2 down. At the plate stood Aubrey Huff, who worked a walk, on 9 pitches. Next, Ramon Hernandez, who followed suit on 7 piches. Now with the bases loaded, pinch hitter Scott Moore stepped in. Why Moore? I don't think they had anyone else available, 3 pitches later, Rivera earned his 30th save of the season! Earlier in the day, a 3 run 5th inning rally in Cleveland was all that C.C. Sabathia needed to hold off the Tigers, as he became the next 18 game winner this season. Cleveland's sweep of Los Tigres earns them a chance to clinch the Central Division in 2 days, their magic number is 3. As Hideki Matsui (#55) has turned his game around all of a sudden, having an awesome 3 game set with the Orioles, hitting his 2nd homer in 3 days today, The Sox and Tigers have gone the opposite way. Both teams are on a slide but can this stay this way for the next 10 games? That's right, only 10 remain, at least for NY and Detroit, the Sox only have 9 to play which as of now is their magic number! This means that they have to aim to win 9 in a row, the only way to really guarantee the East Division Champions title! None of these 3 teams meet in their remaining schedule (which is posted below-links there to). And after tonight, it pretty much comes down the Yankees-Red Sox, we can all count Detroit and Sheffield's big mouth out!!!

On the other side of NY there is concern, the Mets lost again last night, but have just beaten the Nats in Washington. A game that was a must win is decided, now they wait and watch the scoreboard. The Phillies and Cardinals are tied in St. Louis, just as they were last night, when they played 14 innings. The Phillies just won't go away! I am routing for the Mets, because I loved the 2000 Subway Series and want to do it again, and they are my Grandfather's team. So to all the Mets fans out there, I am behind you, even though you are behind the Red Sox!

Tonight's Scoreboard:

MLB.com

Remaining Schedules:

Detroit Tigers Schedule

Boston Red Sox Schedule

New York Yankees Schedule

Current Standings:

Standings-Click HERE!

And as always, check out:

Yankees.com!

Follow along with me and ESPN MVP on your Verizon Wireless phone:

ESPN MVP Wireless!

Or if you have V-Cast, just go to "Get New" and download ESPN MVP!

10!

Edited by Oswegowind

Plain and simple its the second greatest comeback ever!!!!!

Repeating....

Dr Heimlich, report to the Red Sox Clubhouse, Dr Heimlich, please report to the Red Sox Clubhouse to assist with numerous choking victims....

Tonight is an off night for all 3 teams. Detroit and Boston must be happy! The Yanks, I think would rather play, cause they are running HOT!

So, I guess, since I am off, I can watch "The First 48", live so to say! See you all on Friday, by the way, if anyone has any extra tickets lying around, I have a lot of sick/vacation/personal days available...and will buy the 1st round!

LET'S GO YANKEES! LET'S GO YANKEES!

-Joe DA BUFF

Yanks Hit Bump In The Road! Zaun's 14th Inning Home Run Decides Dramatic Bout! Sox and Tigers Both Win.

Well, if you fell asleep you missed what might have been, until the 14th inning rolled around at Yankee Stadium. Roy Halladay was spotless through 8 and Chien Ming Wang (#40) couldn't match him. Wang gave up 2 runs in the 7th, only 1 earned, and Edwar Ramirez allowed 2 more in the top of the 8th, as Halladay quieted the recent hot Yankee bats. And then there was the 9th. Damon lead off with a double, and after Jeter grounded out, Abreu came through with a single. A-Rod was next and he kept it going with a single and an RBI. Now 4-1 with runners on 1st and 3rd, Matsui grounded into a fielder's choice and Abreu came in to make it 4-2. The next hit should've ended the evening, but a bad throw to first that bounced allowed Posada to be safe. 1st and 2nd 2 men out and Cano grounded 1 to rightfield, making it 4-3, Bronson Sardinha who ran for Posada went from 1st to 3rd. Into the batter's box stepped Giambi, he singled to left to tie up the game, and it was on to extra innings! Rivera clamped down Toronto on 8 pitches in the 10th, and Chamberlain threw 2 innings recording 4 more strikeouts, allowing 1 base runner on a walk. And then came the 14th inning, and Brian Bruney. After striking out Adams, Greg Zaun would be the hero for the Jays. Zaun hit a homer just over the right field wall, and that was it. The Yanks failed to tie it up in the bottom half. Like I said before, I did not think an off day would help the Yanks, but it did help their enemies, the Tigers and the Red Sox who had both lost 3 straight! Toronto continued their unlikely roll, as they have just come from sweeping those Red Sox in Canada. The count is now 2.5 games back in the East!

Tonight the Yanks look to the most expensive pitcher in history, and one of the greatest, Roger Clemens. His last outing was a gem and we are all crossing our fingers that he can do it again. He will go up against Sean Markum in the 2nd of 4 games at Yankee Stadium against the Jays this weekend. Boston continues to see a safe street to walk down, as they continue their series against the Devil Rays, who don't play nearly as hard against the Sox as they do against the Yanks!

Yankee Notes:

Ian Kennedy was supposed to start on Saturday, but has been scratched due to stiffness in his right shoulder. He is currently day to day. Clemens takes his place, losing the extra day of rest the Yanks had planned to give him.

September 22, 2007

Got MELKY?? Yanks Struggling Center Fielder Comes up BIG in 10th!!!!!

Yankees little center fielder plays HUGE in Yanks most recent dramatic win! Melky Cabrera (#28) came into the night in a horrible slump, 3 for his last 39. He has seen his batting average drop from the .300's to the .280's over the past 2 weeks. His play in center field though remained excellent. Tonight, was Melky's night! Melky would compile 3 hits and drive in 5 runs, including the game winner in the 10th, and his play in center in the top of the 10th on a long double would prove to be even bigger than his base hit. Melky ran down the double by Aaron Hill and fired a strike to Robinson Cano (#24) who relayed yet another strike to Jorge Posada (#20) nailing Toronto's Matt Stairs at the plate. It was the 2nd runner thrown out at the plate by a Yankees outfielder tonight! Abreu did the same earlier in the game. The Yanks used 10 pitcher, 1 day after using 7 in the 14 inning loss. And these teams still have 2 to play!

Alex Rodriguez (#13) added 3 RBI's while batting 4-5 with a walk, raising his career high for RBI's to 146. Hideki Matsui (#55) also drove in 3, pushing him over the century mark for the year. Today's game was filled with ups and downs, including 8 lead changes in the 10 innings. The Yanks struck first, as A-Rod scored on Posada's single off the right-field wall in the 2nd. Toronto reached Phil Hughes (#65), who started in the place of Clemens/Kennedy, for 3 runs in the top of the 4th. The Yanks would get 1 back in the 5th and then take the lead in the 6th with a 4 spot. Toronto quickly answered with 5 in the top of the 7th, making it 8-6 Jays. And the Yanks had another answer, a 3 run bottom of the 7th and we were back on top 9-8. Not for long, Toronto would put up 3 more in the top of the 8th, 11-9! Bottom of the 8th and the Yankees would spoil Toronto's night, 2 more runs made it 11-11 and that is where it would stand until the bottom of the 10th and Melky's BIG Hit!

Now we fans sit and wait as Detroit and Kansas City go at it and Boston faces Tampa Bay. Matchups below. Tomorrow the Yanks play at the Stadium again at 1:05 against the Jays. Mike Mussina (#35) will take the mound against Dustin McGowan. Mussina has put together consecutive awesome starts, including the Moose Eggs the other night against the O's! Go Yankees!

Out of Town Matchups: MLB.com's Scoreboard Link

Detroit, Kenny Rogers against Kansas City, Kyle Davies in the Motor City. Currently the Royals lead 5-1 in the bottom of the 3rd.

Boston, Dice-K Matsuzaka (incorrect spelling purposeful) against Tampa Bay, Andy Sonnastine in Florida. Currently Boston just scored, 1-0 in the top of the 3rd. I presume TB will just give this one to Boston too.

And a personal thanks to A/C Smith for getting the job done in time!

***Update: Detroit has lost to the Royals! 7-4! Boston has just tied up their contest in the top of the 9th in Tampa Bay! 6-6.***

Edited by Oswegowind

Before tommorrows game the Yankees wil be paying tribute to Phil Rizzuto. Coverage of the tribute will be on YES starting at 12:30.

1.5 GAMES BEHIND. WOOO HOOOO :D

Nice Pics. Going to the game Sunday.

Spare tix, don't forget, I will buy the beer! Disregard, working OT day tour!

September 23, 2007

Mike Mussina continues to throw the ball well. Yankees win again, and so did Boston and Detroit. I worked a double yesterday so that is all I know! Yanks, Jays, Da Bronx, today at 1:05, a makeup game to a rainout sometime in April! See you there...not really!

Yanks Fall to Jays in Season Finale at Stadium, Boston gets a 1/2 Game more of Breathing Room!

The Yankees couldn't get it done today, and Dandy Andy allowed 4 runs in the loss. The Yanks bats seem to dislike Pettitte for some reason as he continued to get piss poor offense. Andy ran into the same problem in Houston when he was there. Boston was off today but got a 1/2 game reprieve and now lead the American League East by 2. The Yankees have 6 to play, 3 starting tomorrow in Tampa Bay, and then the season ending series in Baltimore. Their magic number to clinch a playoff birth stands at 2. So far, Cleveland and Los Angeles (Anaheim/California) have clinched their respective divisions, and Boston is in the playoffs for sure, the Yanks appear to be the 4th team unless something even more unusual happens than the 2004 Red Sox series. As the Yanks prepare for the playoffs it appears they will carry 11 pitchers and 14 position players on the 25 man roster (see list below).

MVP? Alex Rodriguez is a sure bet, his RBI today brings his career high to 147, which leads the league. He is also up front in home runs, runs scored, slugging percentage, and total bases. As well he looks to finish the season with a .300+ batting average. Hopefully he can get hot in the Florida Sun and finish off big...and hopefully carry it into the playoffs. Teammate Jorge Posada is still hitting in the .330's which is stunning for a catcher, especially with all he had to play this year due to lack of a good back up for most of the season.

Potential Playoff Roster:

Pitchers --

Andy Pettitte SP

Mike Mussina SP

Roger Clemens SP

Phil Hughes SP

ChienMing Wang SP

Mariano Rivera CP

Joba Chamberlain SU

Kyle Farnsworth RP

Edwar Ramirez RP

Ron Villone RP

Luis Vizcaino RP

Position Players --

Derek Jeter SS

Alex Rodriguez 3B

Doug Mientkewicz 1B

Robinson Cano 2B

Jorge Posada C

Jose Molina C

Jason Giambi DH/1B

Hideki Matsui LF/DH

Bobby Abreu RF

Johnny Damon CF/DH

Melky Cabrera CF

Shelly Duncan OF/1B

Wilson Betemit IF

Alberto Gonzalez SS/PR

Another abysmal performance by the bullpen, but one highlight was the new pitcher that I saw. This guy Kyle Farnsworth. He looks a lot like a guy that was recently booed out of Yankee stadium for another in a series of horrible performances. This Farnsworth guy was throwing hard and hitting his locations. He came in for the 8th struck out the first and third batters and popped out the second. Hopefully this guy sticks around for a while.

Another abysmal performance by the bullpen, but one highlight was the new pitcher that I saw. This guy Kyle Farnsworth. He looks a lot like a guy that was recently booed out of Yankee stadium for another in a series of horrible performances. This Farnsworth guy was throwing hard and hitting his locations. He came in for the 8th struck out the first and third batters and popped out the second. Hopefully this guy sticks around for a while.

Even Igawa's performance was inconsistent but at least HE gave them five shut out innings. That guy you're talking about - Farnsworth II - must have gotten a new prescription for those glasses. From your mouth to the baseball gods ears!

I only root for two teams - the Yankees and anyone who plays Boston!

One of the other new pitchers looked like he had real good potential. Chris Britton. He's a young guy, but with some experience, he looks like he's gonna go places.

Ball Game over.

The Yankees win

THEEEEEEE YANKEEEEESSSSSSSS WIN!!!!!

13th straight year to the playoffs. :D

Spare tix, don't forget, I will buy the beer! Disregard, working OT day tour!

No need to buy any beer it is included

Suite 332 ;):rolleyes:

Nice shots Oswegowind..... You had better seats than me! Here's something from my old photo's.... A panoramic shot of the opening ceremonies of Game #2 of the 2003 World Series AL Play-off - The Yanks against Boston......

post-6284-1191043393.jpg

Edited by Photounit

Nice shots Oswegowind..... You had better seats than me! Here's something from my old photo's.... A panoramic shot of the opening ceremonies of Game #2 of the 2003 World Series - The Yanks against Boston......

Nice shot, Bill!