Followers 0
PVFD233

Beekman MCI Drill 9-23-07

13 posts in this topic

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Local emergency agencies participate in mass casualty drill

By Rasheed Oluwa

Poughkeepsie Journal

SYLVAN LAKE — Nearly 20 bodies were strewn about in the gymnasium of the Camp Kinder Ring site in Beekman Sunday morning.

Smoke filled the area and piles of rubble and other flotsam along with a few bodies were some of the only things visible to the human eye.

Fortunately, Sunday's ceiling collapse was only a drill and the only listed casualties were a couple of dummies wrapped in firefighters coats.

"Fortunately, we've never had something like this happen in real life," Greg Rayburn, first assistant chief of the Beekman fire department, said of Sunday's mass casualty drill.

Officials from Beekman, East Fishkill, LaGrange, Pawling, Pleasant Valley, Union Vale fire departments participated with representatives from the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office, the county Department of Emergency Management, Alamo Ambulance, Mobile Life and Northern Dutchess Paramedics.

The drill was set up by the Beekman fire department to prepare local emergency service agencies in the event of a real disaster.

For more, check out tomorrow's Journal.

Sounds llike it went well.

:lol:

a couple of dummies wrapped in firefighters coats.

That's no way to talk about their firefighters...

Depends, were they white coats?

P.S. this was not an attack on any individual, I originally mis-read the post to say "about firefighters".

Besides, if we all cannot have a good laugh, what is there to live for?? :P

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Depends, were they white coats?

You just look for trouble all the time don't ya x LOL

at least our firefighters can get the apparatus out even if they are dummies.....

I have to say i had alot of fun with this drill. I got to take East Fishkill's ambulance along with one of our rescue liutenants. It was very well thought out, well planned, and a very real possibility. there was nothing really that outrageous that would make it seem unreal, and the actors were all great. I liked the setup they had inside, with objects marked so that you could tell what could be moved by once person, if it required many people to move, or if heavy equipment had to be used. there were certain things that really made you think and use your knowledge to improvise in a tough situation. I won't go into too much detail and be boring, all i have to say is great job to all involved, and thank the organizers for a job well done! B)

Monday, September 24, 2007

Mock catastrophe staged

Emergency agencies participate in drill

By Rasheed Oluwa

Poughkeepsie Journal

SYLVAN LAKE — Screeching cries of “Help me!” and “I'm in pain!” could be heard Sunday in the mess contained within the Nathan Peskin Cultural Center at Camp Kinder Ring in the Town of Beekman.

Smoke filled the air and the only thing discernable by the human eye was a crumpled pile of mats, wood pallets and other refuse used to simulate a ceiling collapse during the morning mass casualty drill.

“It wasn't fun,” said Andrew Meluch, a 13-year-old member of Boy Scout Troop 77 and one of the volunteer victims during the drill. “The floor was cold.”

Officials from Beekman, East Fishkill, LaGrange, Pawling, Pleasant Valley and Union Vale fire departments participated with representatives from the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office, the county Department of Emergency Management, Alamo Ambulance, Mobile Life and Northern Dutchess Paramedics.

The drill was set up by the Beekman fire department to prepare local emergency service agencies in the event of a real disaster.

“Fortunately, we've never had something like this happen in real life,” Greg Rayburn, first assistant chief of the Beekman fire department, said of the drill.

Rayburn said local fire departments get together every one or two years for a drill simulating a horrible event.

In this case, firefighters had to comb through a structurally damaged building and search for about 20 bodies hidden in the debris.

Two bodies, dummies made with fire hoses wrapped in firefighter jackets, were listed as dead on the scene.

Volunteers, including a contingent from the local Boy Scout troop, made up the other victims.

The debris was tagged with different colored markers to give firefighters an idea of the equipment that would be needed to lift the various pieces of debris if the situation were real.

A triage unit was set up to lift victims to an area where they were treated, with ambulances waiting to transport them to hospitals.

After the drill, officials went to the Beekman firehouse for a critique of their performances.

Erich Moeller, a firefighter with the Beekman fire department, said he was pleased with everybody's performance.

“I think everything went well,” Moeller said. “The new guys need a little help, but we told them what to do and they did what they had to.”

J.J Vazquez, a 13-year-old Beekman resident who played a victim, said he had fun inside the building, but things got tedious when he was pulled and had to wait for an ambulance.

“It's OK,” Vazquez said. “Someone messed up and put me on backward (on the backboard). It would be better if I had a real injury that I could concentrate on instead of just having to wait.”

Reach Rasheed Oluwa at roluwa@poughkeepsiejournal.com or 845-437-4823.

For a photo:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb...313/1006/NEWS01

at least our firefighters can get the apparatus out even if they are dummies.....

It is easy to get apparatus out when people are waiting at the station for a planned drill. ;)

Wonder where the next MCI drill will be in the county?

Edited by SPFC56-233

It is easy to get apparatus out when people are waiting at the station for a planned drill. ;)

Wonder where the next MCI drill will be in the county?

wasnt referring to the drill.

i think EFFD or Rombout should do an MCI drill. they have the most potential for a big incident.

wasnt referring to the drill.

i think EFFD or Rombout should do an MCI drill. they have the most potential for a big incident.

East Fishkill hosted an MCI/Haz-Mat Drill on August 8, 2006, involving an "incident" at the EF town hall.

Situation involved an active shooter, gunshot victims, explosion/fire, and haz-mat situation at the EF Town Hall. EF Fire, EMS, PD, and Town officials, as well as m/a ambulances worked in conjunction.

http://eastfishkillfiredistrict.org/Distri...ill_8-19-06.htm

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Mind your own business......... :P

Where is it and When is it? ;)