Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Rope Bailouts

14 posts in this topic

Admittedly I have taken a "vacation" from the fire service for thew past 4 years or so, after being a very active (read buffy) volunteer for over a decade. Since my little guy is now a full fledged kindegartener, I have free time once again, therefore the vacation will be ending next week as I venture back into the vollie world.

I have a question in regards to rope bail outs.....info of which seem to have exploded in my absence.

I took the original Firefighter Safety and Survival course, the first one ever in Dutchess some time ago, and we were taught that if needed, to bail out, a FF could wrap the rope around their body, holding tight with their hands to control the descent. This worked pretty well, so well in fact that I had decided that if I ever needed to bail out, I would emply this tactic even though I had a Gemtor harness at the time. It was quick, easy, and CHEAP!

Is this still a viable method? I see alot of companies outfitting members with escape kits and such.....but this seems so much simpler.

Ok.....lets try this...What kind of blue light should I get for my Tahoe? :D

And what about the rope escape mentioned above?

I was taught the same method for bail out three years ago, I can't see anything thats faster but i'm sure there are safer options.

Thanks CTFF................looking for more input here......you guys have an opinion about everything...why play shy now? -_-

It's hard to say what topics draw intrest here.

A while back I posted a topic on tech rescue attempt in england where a victim died. I asked how people here would handel that situation and nobody responded.

But hell if we talk about officer elections, parade results or a new delivery and people are all over it.

Blue lights for your tahoe..... LIN3s are nice and bright, but you can't beat a good dash light (Talon dual) or lightbar (preferrebly LED) as to the bail out ropes, there is now a law requiring your company to issue all interior FFs bailout ropes and 2 carabiners. umm as for the harness i think it would take too long so i am all in for wrapping around my body, or sliding down the rope. Sterling rope makes an NFPA rated rope, and carabiners are not so far as i know NFPA rated. but if oyu are interested in this NFPA rope tell your chief, and EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) of which i am an employee can put together a price qoute for you (Had to put that in there)

I hear ya CTFF........ I enjoy those threads myself, so all is not lost.

I have a rope and webbing, and a 'biner I set up when I was active that works well.

I see you looking Rock...get to typing...share that infinite AFD Wisdom!

Thanks CTFF................looking for more input here......you guys have an opinion about everything...why play shy now? -_-

Ok Dan I'll bite. At work we have a lead that goes from our D ring in the pants built in harness to a friction device with a bunch of holes in it. The heavier guys wrap about 3 holes this means you LOL... to a beaner at the end.Works well you can get your hands past the window cill and not pinch them. We are in the process of trying to decide if we are going to order more Mourning Pride or GEXTRIME. Some guys have the GEXTRIME and we have ordered gut belts for those members. I also learned the rope around the bottle in Safety and survival. The most important thing is not to get into trouble in the first place. Hope I never need to do it.

Big job on Carroll street the other night.

Also no more Tahoe... Take life by the horns if you know what I mean.

Edited by drobison82

Admittedly I have taken a "vacation" from the fire service for thew past 4 years or so, after being a very active (read buffy) volunteer for over a decade. Since my little guy is now a full fledged kindegartener, I have free time once again, therefore the vacation will be ending next week as I venture back into the vollie world.

I have a question in regards to rope bail outs.....info of which seem to have exploded in my absence.

I took the original Firefighter Safety and Survival course, the first one ever in Dutchess some time ago, and we were taught that if needed, to bail out, a FF could wrap the rope around their body, holding tight with their hands to control the descent. This worked pretty well, so well in fact that I had decided that if I ever needed to bail out, I would emply this tactic even though I had a Gemtor harness at the time. It was quick, easy, and CHEAP!

Is this still a viable method? I see alot of companies outfitting members with escape kits and such.....but this seems so much simpler.

Ok.....lets try this...What kind of blue light should I get for my Tahoe?

And what about the rope escape mentioned above?

I feel a rope, biner and a tool such as a halligan for anchoring is the best way. I know they are coming with all kinds of systems now and from what I have seen they work but how much more equipment are we going to weigh ourselves down with.

Whatever you use training and lots of it is the key with self bail.

Blue lights are a sore subject with me...LOL

**Disclaimer** The blue light thing was a joke. I think the majority of you got that. :D

Thanks for the responses - keep them coming - particularly from Departments that do not issue escape harnesses, have them built into the hitches, etc........

the fastest way I think is still your rope arround your air pack like your were taught in survival. NYS law has changed and now requires all departments (with very few exceptions...FDNY) to issue harnesses and rope systems. In my opinion, unless the harnesses is pre-connected and setup, from what I have seen, it takes to long to get yourself ready. the "old" method is still the best if you get yourself jammed up.

Edited by mfc442

the fastest way I think is still your rope arround your air pack like your were taught in survival. NYS law has changed and now requires all departments (with very few exceptions...FDNY) to issue harnesses and rope systems. In my opinion, unless the harnesses is pre-connected and setup, from what I have seen, it takes to long to get yourself ready. the "old" method is still the best if you get yourself jammed up.

there is another thread going around about this subject. according to the sources one of them the man who wrote the law, you do not have to outfit your members with a harness and a system, but you do have to make a hazard assesment of your needs, ie: does a fd that doesnt have a building over 1 story or 2 stories need a 50 bailout system with belts and such.

our dept isnt buying the system we outfitted every member with 50' of rope / webbing and a beiner, for the self bely method, and the most important, we have had training on how to use it. read the law and the recommondations on the other thread and i am sure you will be as confused as ever :blink:

I like to keep an open mind and learn new things, but I was taught and trained on the body belay. I still like it, I know how to do it and until I learn something else and am equipped to do it, I'll be doing just that.

If you read the info the brothers from Pleasantville posted about the new system they got, you may learn something new, just like me!

I have a single talon in the Tahoe ;)

Body belay is a great skill and must be taught to all ff's. The only problem is if you let go you go down. Its also hard to use to get back into the building if say you only have 50' of rope and a 6 story building. The friction devices are all right, but if you need to get down in a hurry you're SOL and I've seen them jam up if you don't maintain your rope carefully. Look into an anchor for your system. It adds a level of versatility to the system above what a carabiner can do. If you can afford it get the EXO. DO NOT try and gerry rig a system. What ever components you use, make sure they are compatible and are operating within the designed tolerances. Just because your district is 99% 2 to 3 story residential, what about your neighboring districts? As a minimum I suggest 50' of NFPA approved rope and a steel anchor. Carabiners are great, but if you can't get around your anchor point then you're screwed. A hook allows you to wrap an object or can be buried into a wall or window.