Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Mack

19 posts in this topic

What do you think about refurbing macks and why have they gone down in use the fire Services

I think refurbishing macks is a great idea. Mack's are probably the best apperatus, and the most classic. Mack should make new macks. I don't know why they dont.

Mack has always made a dependable and classic looking firetruck. Macks continue to be reused in the fire service because of their availability (thanks in part to FDNY), and because killing a Mack is soo difficult. Mack stopped offering complete custom fire apparatus in 1984 because of increased competion in the apparatus world..... though they continued to market and produce the CF chassis through 1990. Mack discontinued production at that point becuase they would had to completely redesign the cab and power-train for the Mack Cf in order to bring it up to then current standards..... I think they felt it was not financial worth their while to undertake such a project.... also important to remember the major resession USA was involved in at that point.... that same year when Mack announced they would end production of the CF chassis, Sanford, Pirsch, FMC, Maxim, and Ward 79 all stopped making fire apparatus.... Quite a statement I think about the times. It is sad that Mack no longer offers custom chassis for the fire service.... I wonder though how they might fare today if they were to try and break back into the industry.....there is a lot of heavy competion out there.

I want to buy a Mack and make a truck does anyone know what happens to the city trucks FDNY

cm they auction them off alot of them end up at the brooklyn navy yard thats where some of the auctions take place you can buy anything you want from the city any type of city vehicle.

I believe E29 is a 1969 Mack CF that was rebuilt once in the 1980's by Ward 79 (used to be Ward LaFrance) and then again in the last couple of years by a company called Chivis. Nice truck..... I think it was 1 of 3 or 4 near identical engines...... speaking of Macks...... Mt. Kisco E103 is one of my personal favorites =D>

who in the county is still operating Macks.

Mt. Kisco (E 103)

Goldens Bridge (E 138)

Croton (E119)

All of these trucks are sweet, and kept in prestine condition.

What other Departments are still operating Macks???

Yonkers several pumpers and Towers,

Hastings (1978 Pumper),

Pelham Manor (Pumper and Tower),

Fairview (Spare Tower), an those are just the CF's.

Banksville has 2 MC Pumpers and a Mack R Tanker,

Bedford has a Mack R Pumper,

Vista has a Mack R pumper,

Eastchester Engine 29 (Mack CF) and Engine 27, Mack MC pumper, Chappaqua has a Mack MC Pumper and a Mack MC Rescue..... Briarcliff has a Mack MC Pumper.....

Port Chester has a 1980 Mack Cf Pumper.... Brookside Engine....

Thornwood has a 1974 Mack Cf Pumper....

Harrison 1989 MackCF/Ward 79 Pumper, and a Mack MC Pumper... Dobbs Ferry a Mack CF Aerialscope Tower......

Thornwood is a 76' Mack - FDNY reject - partially rebuilt/repaint in 01'

Larchmont has Mack Engine - OOS

Harrison - Engine 12 or 13 can't remember

City of Stamford, CT

Dobbs Ferry Tower Ladder 23 is operating with a 1991 Mack. Still in great condition and was one of the last Mack creations.

Chappaqua has a 1984 Mack MC that was refurbed in 1997 as thier rescue R23 they also have a 1984 Mack MC as e145

Pelham has an 1978 Mack CF that was an EX-FDNY

thats all i got that have not been named i also think that Mount Veron might have one or two

Pelhams Mack has been retired.... I think it went to W.C. training center for a while... but it is no longer in Pelham

The poularity of Macks on this thread gives me an idea.. :-k ...maybe we should try and compile photos and information of all the current Macks serving in Westchester (Maybe Macks from the past, too) and give it it's own section over at EMTBravo.com

Mt. Vernon has West Harrisons old T/L on a Mack Chassis....Amazing how it was no good any more in WH but it running its .......%*! off in Mt. Vernon as a front line spare....

Yonkers Macks in service:

Engine 303 -1990/92 (repowered) Mack

Engine 306 -1992 Mack

Engine 311 -1992 Mack

Foam Unit -1986 Mack/Ward 79

Collapse Unit -1986 Mack/Ward 79

Ladder 77 (Spare)- 1990/2001 refurb. TL