Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

FDNY Manning Question

4 posts in this topic

I heard that the FDNY is going form 4 guys on a engine to 5 guys is this true or is this just a rumor

Union bylaw states that engine company staffing can be reduced from 5 FF's to 4 FF's when a certain percentage of the personnel is on sick leave (FDNY exceded this percentage after 9/11). I believe at its lowest point only 29 engine co's had 5 Firefighters. Some companies are permanently designated as 10-14 engines and will remain with 4. Ladder Company staffing hasnt been affected. Companies are confirmed to return to 5 man staffing in the near future....I dont know an exact date.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...nId=46&id=22813

The FDNY yesterday announced it is increasing manning on fire engines citywide except on Staten Island.  

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta was able to increase the number of firefighters on some engines from four to five because of lower medical-leave figures, the department said in a statement

i think this is a good move, not only is it safer to have 5 guys on the engine, but think of it from a coast stand point, doesn;t it coast more to send an addition 10-14 engine toa scence just because your short 1 FF. that takes atleast 4 men and a rig if not 5 out of their own responce area and requires an addition eng to cover or possibly relocate to their area, this increase's responce time and requires the moving of alot of man power and rigs... i seems safer and more worth the city's wild to just bring the staffing up and i guess some one finally got smart. i can only wish paid deparments in westchester county were running 4 man engine companieson all rigs let alonw have 5 not counting volunteer companies or personal on combination departments.