Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD233

Calling On Scene

37 posts in this topic

more like Ambulance ___, responding from Gardner..................

Ouch :o That one stung. :D

Ive got a question for all of you....

Why is it that anytime an alarm is dispatched as anything that has even the slightest potential to be an actual fire, people find it necessary to scream on the radio like the world is ending?

In additional, transmissions seem to get longer and longer.

Ie.

actual communications = Field Unit: {{screaming}} Engine 000 is responding 123 Dogbody Road on a Structure Fire / Dispatch {{screaming}}: Message received Engine 000, you are responding to 123 Dogbody Road on a Structure Fire at 1401 Hours

normal communications = Field Unit: Engine 000 Responding / Dispatch: Engine 000 Responding 1400 Hours

Consider the following:

1st - Units are covering each other, so people have difficulty hearing you anyway. Then you factor in all the yelling, making it even harder to hear and understand. Turn on the radio, WAIT a second to make sure the air is clear...then speak in a clear, normal voice...do not yell!

2nd - If your the third due Engine, and your busy screaming the address, location, and nature of the alarm and dispatch is reading back exactly what you said .... Think about the guys who were first due, may already be on scene, inside, and may need to transmit urgent traffic from a low watt handheld! Will anyone hear them? Negative. ... and they might only have 1 shot to relay urgent information.

3rd - If you are on a frequency that multiple departments use, consider that there may be other departments operating at alarms that you are not aware of.

4th - Slow down, shut off your portable when you get in the apparatus. Feedback annoys everyone and just makes you sound like a newbie.

5th - Take the microphone out of its holder...LAZY!

Im not attacking anyone specific, just some observations during recent alarms...

Nothing to do with career vs volunteer... both are guilty.

Im worried that one day, a firefighter may be injured or worse because of a lack of proper communications.

Edited by 20Truck

Ive got a question for all of you....

Why is it that anytime an alarm is dispatched as anything that has even the slightest potential to be an actual fire, people find it necessary to scream on the radio like the world is ending?

Im worried that one day, a firefighter may be injured or worse because of a lack of proper communications.

This is not unique to the fire service. I had a colleague who would arrive at a disabled vehicle but the radio message would catapult your heartrate into overdrive because it sounded like they were being chased by an axe murderer.

Proper communications is a safety consideration but most are too complacent about it to enforce protocols or properly train people.

This is not unique to the fire service. I had a colleague who would arrive at a disabled vehicle but the radio message would catapult your heartrate into overdrive because it sounded like they were being chased by an axe murderer.

Proper communications is a safety consideration but most are too complacent about it to enforce protocols or properly train people.

People need to relax...its not your emergency! Think before you speak...or scream. ;)

My problem is when a unit calls "ON SCENE" and then asks you to repeat the address.

What's the problem with that? LOL.

I'm not exactly sure what "blurting" means....but I find it more annoying if someone doesn't just say those simple messages. Medic 1 on scene...medic 1 responding... If you have a ton of traffic on the channel and one unit has to call and wait to be acknowledged to transmit their message....ANNOYING!

Heard it again today" xx-xx Ambulance on scene what was the address again"?

Wouldn't it be "City 911, Station 2 is 10-5" or "City 911 Medic (insert unit # here) is 10-5 with the engine" :lol:

Hey now, we don't take kindly to that kind of language here, that's not NIMS compliant! I'm calling FEMA! :P

Edited by SageVigiles