Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD233

Calling On Scene

37 posts in this topic

Is it me or is there a problem with calling on scene and the siren (firetruck or ambulance) still blaring? Mabey it's just me but that bothers me. If you are on scene then why do you still need the siren? And if you are still responding why call on scene before you actually do get on scene?

Mabey it's just me.

Most of the people in my dept call "on scene" when you can see the scene of the incident. I can see how this can pose some problems. We are starting to use" on arrival" instead of "on scene". I think it works better that way.

And what do yu mean "on scene" with the siren blaring?

People calling on scene with the siren still going a mile a minute. Why? If you are on scene then you should have most likely stopped, verified the house number (I.E. a medical call for chest pains). Then call on scene?

Next your gonna say we shouldn't call responding until the tires on the truck have made a full rotation. What's the big deal? If you want nansecond tracking of arrival then get a computer installed to monitor every move

My super pet peeve is people blurting in my county. They need to stop just shoutting out on scene. Please anyboyd in Puntam Fire or EMS pass this on. When calling en route, on scene, to and from hospital, giving size ups, or clearing from scens: "'unit' to Putnam 911", "Putnam 911 is on", "'Unit' is status ". This makes sure we hear what uyou say, and my blood pressure stays low. Thank you.

Edited by PC_420

My gripe is the "In service" traffic. If you are RESPONDING to a call, SAY IT. To me, "In service" means that you are available once again for the next one.

As for the siren going when you are on location, that doesn't irk me as often as people that respond lights and sirens to NON-EMERGENCIES. That day when your rig hits a pedestrian and kills them because you went thru a red light for a BS call is going to change your life forever - TRUST ME. Be smart.

I know I was trained to call on location/on scene when pulling into the block in order to give the IC a chance to tell us where to position the apparatus (only if someone was already onscene). Most of the time the 'Q' was still winding down and could be heard over the radio.

My gripe is the "In service" traffic. If you are RESPONDING to a call, SAY IT. To me, "In service" means that you are available once again for the next one.

As for the siren going when you are on location, that doesn't irk me as often as people that respond lights and sirens to NON-EMERGENCIES. That day when your rig hits a pedestrian and kills them because you went thru a red light for a BS call is going to change your life forever - TRUST ME. Be smart.

You are supposed to stop a red lights even with lights an siren anyway. I do agree though not all calls require a hot responce.

I am interested to know how your calls are assigned priority wise, over here (Australia) we in dispatch assign the priority, we are all firefighters in dispatch, not that it makes any difference, but the trucks always ask what priority, eg tree down or patient lifts are normally priority 2, no lights and sirens etc.

I am with PC_420, nothing annoys me more than someone get way over excited on the radio and you have to ask them to repeat their message 5 times, mind you, when I am riding I try my hardest to do it right, nothing like praticing what you preach! ;)

really my point is your patient is most likely in distress, if the siren doesnt need to be on then shut it off, then again mabey it's the departments protocol to leave it on up to the door step.

An aspect of your concern has been covered here before in the land of silent responses. I think when you mention it being a pet peeve of yours, yeah, it's just you. As far as 420's gripe, I am with you there about the yelling on the radio. If you slow it down, they screamer will usually slow it down as well.

585...we've had that discussion about hot/cold a few times huh...lol.

I don't worry about what others are doing I worry about me.

Is it me or is there a problem with calling on scene and the siren (firetruck or ambulance) still blaring? Mabey it's just me but that bothers me. If you are on scene then why do you still need the siren? And if you are still responding why call on scene before you actually do get on scene?

Mabey it's just me.

It is you. Get over it, Johnny.

Worry about yourself before you worry about others.

It is you. Get over it, Johnny.

Worry about yourself before you worry about others.

It's not just me, and it is a pet peeve.

My super pet peeve is people blurting in my county. They need to stop just shoutting out on scene. Please anyboyd in Puntam Fire or EMS pass this on. When calling en route, on scene, to and from hospital, giving size ups, or clearing from scens: "'unit' to Putnam 911", "Putnam 911 is on", "'Unit' is status ". This makes sure we hear what uyou say, and my blood pressure stays low. Thank you.

Good to hear what the other people on the other side think. Most of the dispatchers somehow are able to handle themselves. Kudos.

Edited by SPFC56-233

It IS just you...........

Ahhh. Ok it IS :lol: just me.

Edited by SPFC56-233

i could see it being annoying, but its just one of many annoyances

It IS just you........... :)

"CITY 911 TO ENG 2 LADDER 2, THE ADDRESS."

"CITY 911 TO ENG 2 LADDER 2, THE ADDRESS."

Whereas I get annoyed if I DON'T hear the Q screamin' :lol:

Whereas I get annoyed if I DON'T hear the Q screamin' :lol:

Wouldn't it be "City 911, Station 2 is 10-5" or "City 911 Medic (insert unit # here) is 10-5 with the engine" :lol:

My problem is when a unit calls "ON SCENE" and then asks you to repeat the address.

the good ole Q winding down and a simple EC-2 Will be out is the usual here in engglewood cliffs But if it is something good the usually leave the house with Q pinned and say EC-2 responding That got to give you goosebumps :D

My problem is when a unit calls "ON SCENE" and then asks you to repeat the address

What's the problem with that? LOL.

I'm not exactly sure what "blurting" means....but I find it more annoying if someone doesn't just say those simple messages. Medic 1 on scene...medic 1 responding... If you have a ton of traffic on the channel and one unit has to call and wait to be acknowledged to transmit their message....ANNOYING!

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG.....

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS UNFORTUNATELY WHEN THE ADRENALINE KICKS IN PEOPLE JUST DONT THINK AS CLEARLY AS THEY SHOULD AND IT CAN BE VERY VERY DANGEROUS THATS WHY THE PASSENGER IN THE VEHICLE SHOULD BE THE ONE CALLING OUT YOUR STATUS/DISPOSITION ON A CALL BUT WITH TODAYS ADRENALINE JUNKIES...........

My thing is Your scene starts away from the house SIZE-UP.

And Three O'Clock in the morning or you hear 4 different calls going out you just want to make sure of the address before walking in to someone eles house. (Done That Before NOT FUN!!!) Learn from your mistakes.

My problem is when a unit calls "ON SCENE" and then asks you to repeat the address.

Sometimes an incorrect address is given to us, other times, the address goes into CAD as being valid, but when the unit pulls up, it's not there. Chalk that one up to either bad CAD programming, or a caller giving incorrect(sometimes maliciously incorrect) information. Another possibilty is nothing showing, and the crew wants to make sure they didn't make a wrong turn.

One thing I see a lot is having to translate. Example, the calling party states they are at 3161 East 161 Street and Park Avenue. What they are trying to say is they are at 3161 Park Avenue off of East 161 Street. I think I figured out why. They enter the building at 3161 Park, but the windows of the apartment face 161. Bear in mind I am trying to give folks the benefit of the doubt and not think they are really that dumb.

I did have some fun with this in my Manhattan days. After going round and round with a caller, I would say, "Look, if you were at 2415 West 124th Street, you'd be in the Hudson River, pretty close to the Jersey side. Are you sure you're not at 2415 8th Avenue over by West 124th Street??"

Edited by JBE

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG.....

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS UNFORTUNATELY WHEN THE ADRENALINE KICKS IN PEOPLE JUST DONT THINK AS CLEARLY AS THEY SHOULD AND IT CAN BE VERY VERY DANGEROUS THATS WHY THE PASSENGER IN THE VEHICLE SHOULD BE THE ONE CALLING OUT YOUR STATUS/DISPOSITION ON A CALL BUT WITH TODAYS ADRENALINE JUNKIES...........

I'm not exactly sure what "blurting" means....but I find it more annoying if someone doesn't just say those simple messages. Medic 1 on scene...medic 1 responding... If you have a ton of traffic on the channel and one unit has to call and wait to be acknowledged to transmit their message....ANNOYING!

OK, a couple of things with this post...WITHOUT starting arguments.

Crash is right, the adrenaline kicks in and you get hurried "blurts" that dont make sense and when you attempt to clarify it with the unit they are already gone from the radio. Which brings me to my second point for ALS, I personally would prefer to call for the dispatchers attention first, make sure I have it than give my message clearly. Ex: "Unit 51 to dispatch"...."Dispatch on 51"...."show 51 on scene, requesting second alarm." As opposed to grabbing the mic and blurting "51 on scene, second alarm." and chancing that the dispatcher never even heard me. Chances are, you blurt the message and continue with your job and dont hear the dispatcher saying "Unit calling, repeat last." THAT to me ties up the radio more with senseless chatter and confusion. Just my opinion though.

Third point...Im confused. We are all on this site to promote working together, and the brotherhood, and watching each others backs and yet I have read from at least TWO people to worry about yourself before others? I believe the original poster has a valid concern here. We should be worried about the moron who responds code 3 to an Alpha response because if that idiot gets in an accident and hurts, or KILLS someone only to find out he was enroute to a little old lady who needs her catheter changed.....that to me is another one of those "Black Eyes" I always read about on this site. We should be worried about this topic. Im not worried about calling on scene early with the sirens still careening in the background....as some have already pointed out the "Q" takes some time to roll down, and some departments have SOP's that require you to call on scene down the road so that the IC can position you, and with some traffic you could very well be blowing the siren right up to the door to get through the rubberneckers.

But the whole issue with not caring what others do....should we re-think that attitude? Shouldnt we try to better educate someone who responds recklessly without due regard for others?

Good post, brings up a lot of good topics for discussion.

Wouldn't it be "City 911, Station 2 is 10-5" or "City 911 Medic (insert unit # here) is 10-5 with the engine" :lol:

more like Ambulance ___, responding from Gardner.................. <_<:lol:

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS UNFORTUNATELY WHEN THE ADRENALINE KICKS IN PEOPLE JUST DONT THINK AS CLEARLY

Unfortunately you're right....but my thing is it shouldn't be this way. You fight tunnel vision and flight and fight response through training and having good leadership who doesn't do what you mention. There is no real reason to get into an adrenaline frenzy for a call...its not your emergency...the garbage man doesn't get excited when he turns the corner and sees garbage cans. So why do some of us, no matter what the call?

Take a deep breath

Think of what you are going to say

Key the mike and wait

Say it calmly and confidently

It's not your emergency!!

Crash...ease up on the caps bro...hard to read brother.

more like Ambulance ___, responding from Gardner.................. <_<:lol:

Laugh it up Ole, laugh it up. :P