Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest sfdtruck1medic

Moving To NY In January, Need Help Looking For Fire/EMS Job

15 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am moving to NY in Jan. I need some help with finding a job. I am a firefighter/ paramedic and I have no clue where to start looking?. I would rather it not be a primary EMS job but, I am going to need something. I have worked for a fire dept in va for about 8 years, I know nothing about Manhattan or the surrounding areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D

Hello All,

I am moving to NY in Jan. I need some help with finding a job. I am a firefighter/ paramedic and I have no clue where to start looking?. I would rather it not be a primary EMS job but, I am going to need something. I have worked for a fire dept in va for about 8 years, I know nothing about Manhattan or the surrounding areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D

WHAT KIND OF BACKGROUND? GOV'T FD? CITY? its tough here to get on right away, you have any military firefighting? jjc where in VA were you?

Hello All,

Thanks,

D

My only suggestion: volunteer for now until you can be hired. Try a EMS company, but make sure to get a second job, as we all know some are cheapskates.

Good luck.

Mike

Depending on where your moving in the state, you could look into Arlington Fire Rescue and Lagrange Fire Rescue in Dutchess County. They are both combination departments that have firefighter/paramedics and EMTs that staff a paramedic flycar as well as ambulances in addition to fire apparatus. Peekskill FD is also a combination Dept. who runs Paramedic fly cars, other members can give you the particulars on that. Good luck and welcome to the Empire State!

Edited by Goose

You've really gotta specify what you are looking for. If you need a job right now, then a transport company is your only shot. The voluntary hospitals in NYC are usually hiring but it takes a few months. FDNY EMS will have you on the street in about 6 months with a starting pay of 37,000 a year. They are out of contract so that number is only going to go up in the next few months. After 5 years you'll be making 50,000. Then there's the night diff, meal money, and OT. Transports, I'm not sure, but I think they start around 20 an hour. The voluntary hospitals, vary from one to the other, but I believe start in the mid 20's an hour. If you want to hump hose for your paycheck you're going to have to wait. Everything is civil service and the short lists are given every 2 years. If you are looking to FDNY, then FDNY EMS is the fastest way in.

If you are willing to travel to New Jersey, UMDNJ (Newark EMS) is looking for medics now. The website ie www.uh-ems.org. It is a hospital based 911 only system with a state retirement plan. The starting pay is in the mid 20's per hour. Also in the Hudson Valley of NY, there is Alamo EMS, Mobile Life Support, Regional EMS, Transcare, Westchester EMS, Empress (Yonkers), and Empire State Ambulance. Good Luck!

Edited by orangEMT246

....don't move here! Its a MISTAKE!

Hello,

Thank you all for your responses. I don't really have a choice in moving there. I will probably be living in Manhattan, Hoboken, Queens? I am currently looking right now. I have worked for a City FD and have a 2 degrees.

Thanks again so much!!

The other guy had it right, Don't move to NY. I was on the job in Northern VA for 8 years. I left NY because it is tough in the Metro-NYC area to get on. Every department has residence and age requirements. I am now on the job in CT. Look there most places do not have a residence or age clause. Try Stamford, Strattford, Bridgeport, New Haven, and Greenich, Norwalk also. Good Luck :angry:

Regardless of where you're going to live, start by contacting the Health Department EMS Offices in NY and NJ (if you're inclined to work there - since you mentioned Hoboken) and get the reciprocity process started now. If you're not a credentialed NYS paramedic, you're not going to work for anyone! Once you have a certificate in hand, you're much more marketable.

As for paid FD, as was already stated they're all civil service so you better start checking on test opportunities so you can get on a list. Many different tests/locations/etc. so the more you research, the more you'll find out.

Good luck!

If I were to go with FDNY EMS, how long on does it usually take to get moved over? I heard that you have to take a promotional exam. I would think that a lot of people would try that and most of those guys are probably trying to get off the ambulance.

I looked on the site and it did not specify?

Thanks,

you guys are great!

You've really gotta specify what you are looking for. If you need a job right now, then a transport company is your only shot. The voluntary hospitals in NYC are usually hiring but it takes a few months. FDNY EMS will have you on the street in about 6 months with a starting pay of 37,000 a year. They are out of contract so that number is only going to go up in the next few months. After 5 years you'll be making 50,000. Then there's the night diff, meal money, and OT. Transports, I'm not sure, but I think they start around 20 an hour. The voluntary hospitals, vary from one to the other, but I believe start in the mid 20's an hour. If you want to hump hose for your paycheck you're going to have to wait. Everything is civil service and the short lists are given every 2 years. If you are looking to FDNY, then FDNY EMS is the fastest way in.

Getting over is a big issue these days. Almost a year ago the fire department changed their test format to address a pending legal action by the DOJ. Shortly after the test was taken there was a big to do about the radically new format. Since then there has been no info or progress about the test. Originally the dept said there were going to be promotionals every 12 or 18 months. Since the last one they scheduled a new test but recently canceled it. When U hear talks about attrition they usually throw around 15 to 20% looking to go to fire. How many actually get there I don't know. The dept loses about 400 EMT's a year.