Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Future Fireman

Pompier Ladder Training?

25 posts in this topic

Just never heard of it and would like to know what it entails.

Mike

It is and old style of ladder used in multiple story structures to climb upwards from window to window. Usually ten to twelve feet in length. Made of a poll with cross bars and a hook on the end. I dont think anyone uses them in the states anymore,but, I have seen some recent videos on their use in Asia. They scare the bejesus out of me.

those are NOT the pompier ladders that we trained with at the probie classes of the 80"s and early 90"s in VALHALLA. single rung with larger hook at the top

They scare the bejesus out of me.

Same here. Also, is that training MANDATORY? After all, we only use REAL METAL Ladders with legs planted on the GROUND.

Mike

Same here. Also, is that training MANDATORY? After all, we only use REAL METAL Ladders with legs planted on the GROUND.

Mike

These are used in probie school as a confidence builder. If you are lucky enough to make firefighting your career you will probably be required to do the drill. As in PCFD's photo you will use a pompier very similar to that and lean back while you are clipped on with your gemtor belt. If it makes you feel any better they usually use a safety line these days. Don't worry after probie school you will probably never see one again. Good luck......

Yea thats me PCFD ENG58 17 Years ago class 3/90 Valhalla.

Your best side????

LOL I had to say it before someone else did! Just joking buddy! :D

I don't think there are any schools that do pompier ladder training anymore up here in CT but I may be mistaken. I never climber one of those but I've hears stories from old timers who used to scale buildings with those things. Yikes!

Yea thats me PCFD ENG58 17 Years ago class 3/90 Valhalla.

You couldn't pay me enough to climb on one of those things! Maybe 40 years ago I might have, but not any more!

I HAVE HAD THE GOOD FORTUNE OF BEING ON THE FIRE DEPARTMENT A LONG TIME, SO I HAVE USED POMPIER LADDERS IN TRAINING AND ALSO CARRIED THEM ON THE RIG. AS YOU KNOW THEY WERE WOODEN WITH A VERY HEAVY GOOSE NECK HOOK ON THE END, WHICH REALLY SAPPED YOUR ARM STRENGTH.

THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO BE USED WHEN YOUR AERIAL REACHED IT'S LIMIT,THEN YOU WERE TO CONTINUE UP ON A SCALING LADDER, BREAKING OUT THE WINDOWS OF EACH FLOOR WITH THE HOOK AND WHEN YOU REACH THE NEXT SILL, SIT ON THE JAGGED BROKEN GLASS IN THE SASH AND MANUVER YOUR LADDER TO THE NEXT WIDOW. AS YOU CAN IMAGINE FEW PEOPLE ACTUALLY DID THIS OR PRAYED THEY NEVER HAD TO DO IT.

THEY DID COME IN HANDY AS A QUICK LADDER FOR BACK YARDS OR ALLEYS AND HAD BEEN USED ON FLAT ROOFED THREE STORY FRAMES, HOOKED INTO THE ROOF AND PLACED OVER THE BUILDING SIDE TO RESCUE FOLKS STUCK IN REAR ROOMS MOSTLY ON THE TOP FLOOR.

A VERY PUBLIC SCALING LADDER RESCUE OCCURED AT THE HUGE MORGAN POSTAL ANNEX FIRE IN THE 60'S AFTER USING THE AERIAL TO IT'S FULLEST EXTENT ,TRUCKIES CONTINUED UP ON SCALING LADDERS AND SAVED A HOPELESSLY TRAPPED POSTAL WORKER .

SO,SOMETIMES THEY ARE STILL USED IN TRAINING AS A CONFIDENCE BUILDER, BUT ON OCCASSION THEY CAME IN HANDY AS A LAST RESORT ITEM IN REAL LIFE

He's a question. I remember we carried them in the 70's on the ladders but who today still carries them?

ajsbear answer to your question===== no one carries them if I am wrong and a department carries them---get rid of them give them to a musem---sellthem as antiques on e bay but do not use them.

get rid of them give them to a musem---sellthem as antiques on e bay but do not use them.

LOL. Hey Capt...we would have plenty of musical dollars to go around for everyone then.

What my illustrious and close friend is basically saying is, for the most part they are no longer acceptable as fire service ladders.

Saw a photo on firenews.org this week there are dept that still train on them. I had the pleasure to train on one 30 yrs ago. It took alot of upper body to work the thing. but it was a gas.

Great info, Snotty.

I don't think our Probie School got to use the pompiers, I wanted to try it but I must admit it is kind of nervewracking.

These are used in probie school as a confidence builder. If you are lucky enough to make firefighting your career you will probably be required to do the drill. As in PCFD's photo you will use a pompier very similar to that and lean back while you are clipped on with your gemtor belt. If it makes you feel any better they usually use a safety line these days. Don't worry after probie school you will probably never see one again. Good luck......

Hey, that's cool. When I was in proby school the instructors had us all line up blindfolded and they picked one guy out of the line. He then walked 100 paces forward of the line. Everybody was then told to chant "And the point is?" The guy was then told to throw a sharpened pike pole towards the chanting as hard and fast as possible. Whoever got hit got to throw it next, but only if the pole stuck in him. Yep. Very practical and made us all men.

I'm not trying to insult or put down tradition, but spear-chucking was a critical survival skill back in the day too, but we've given it up and replaced it with useful skills that aren't a brazen opportunity to kill someone. Frankly those Pompier ladders scare the Holy Mary out of me. MAJOR Kudos to anyone who used them!

Hey, that's cool. When I was in proby school the instructors had us all line up blindfolded and they picked one guy out of the line. He then walked 100 paces forward of the line. Everybody was then told to chant "And the point is?" The guy was then told to throw a sharpened pike pole towards the chanting as hard and fast as possible. Whoever got hit got to throw it next, but only if the pole stuck in him. Yep. Very practical and made us all men.

I'm not trying to insult or put down tradition, but spear-chucking was a critical survival skill back in the day too, but we've given it up and replaced it with useful skills that aren't a brazen opportunity to kill someone. Frankly those Pompier ladders scare the Holy Mary out of me. MAJOR Kudos to anyone who used them!

I wasn't going to respond to this but I feel you may be missing the point of the evolution. Its really not about tradition, the purpose is to build confidence and help recruits get over any fear of heights they may have. I will tell you this, it works. As far as safety is concerned, as I said in my previous post a safety line is usually used, so there are no "deadly" consequences. The instructors and officers assigned to probie school know what they are doing and safety is always the number one priority. Lastly, its supposed to scare the hell out of you, but once you have done it, ordinary ladder exercises will be like a walk in the park. Hope this helps...

Frank

New Haven Fire's recruitment powerpoint shows what I assume to be probies at the academy training on pompier ladders.

ajsbear answer to your question===== no one carries them if I am wrong and a department carries them---get rid of them give them to a musem---sellthem as antiques on e bay but do not use them.

Over the last few years I have seen them on a few older Ladder Trucks still in service. Notice I didn't ask "who is still using them" but what departments still have 'em on the truck. I too doubt if anyone is using them but just havn;'t taken them off.

I'm not sure if any probie classes even use them anymore for confidence boosters. I know for confidence boosters in my probie class we had to do auditorium raises starting with the 16ft roof ladder and by the end of the academy with the 50ft bangor ladder.

doesnt Boston still use them when they train their Jakes?

I'm not sure if any probie classes even use them anymore for confidence boosters. I know for confidence boosters in my probie class we had to do auditorium raises starting with the 16ft roof ladder and by the end of the academy with the 50ft bangor ladder.

Yonkers still uses them, and also uses the auditorium raise (another good one).

we do that with our junior corps as well, definitely dont go all the way to the 50'er though

Yeah 50ft. is the last one we did like a week and a half before graduation.