Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
americanpolice

NYS Troopers to get new armor, AEDs, guns

11 posts in this topic

NY State Troopers get new body armor, handguns

The Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. — Following a year when a half-dozen troopers were shot, two fatally, State Police are getting stronger body armor, handguns and other new equipment.

Acting Superintendent Preston Felton has ordered officers on patrol to wear the bullet-resistant vests that previously were optional.

Felton said he didn't know how much all the new equipment will cost. He acknowledged some items are expensive, but noted the governor and lawmakers have been supportive and if one life is saved it's important.

The equipment changes follow ongoing internal safety reviews and meetings with troopers' and investigators' unions. They include .45-caliber handguns that have replaced the 9 millimeter sidearms.

Also, troopers are getting collapsible batons, defibrillators for all marked patrol cars, new light bars atop cars, and bright yellow reflective vests for highway work.

They're also getting fire suppression systems similar to those in race cars in all new Crown Victorias, and two Bearcat armored vehicles that cost about $250,000 each.

NY State Troopers get new body armor, handguns

The Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. — Following a year when a half-dozen troopers were shot, two fatally, State Police are getting stronger body armor, handguns and other new equipment.

Acting Superintendent Preston Felton has ordered officers on patrol to wear the bullet-resistant vests that previously were optional.

Felton said he didn't know how much all the new equipment will cost. He acknowledged some items are expensive, but noted the governor and lawmakers have been supportive and if one life is saved it's important.

The equipment changes follow ongoing internal safety reviews and meetings with troopers' and investigators' unions. They include .45-caliber handguns that have replaced the 9 millimeter sidearms.

Also, troopers are getting collapsible batons, defibrillators for all marked patrol cars, new light bars atop cars, and bright yellow reflective vests for highway work.

They're also getting fire suppression systems similar to those in race cars in all new Crown Victorias, and two Bearcat armored vehicles that cost about $250,000 each.

One of those Bearcat's is at Troop K HQ in Poughkeepsie right now.

I thought the State Police carried .40cal Glocks and have for years. Are they going from the .40 to the .45? And what incidents were they in where under penetration during a gun fight caused a troopers death?

I thought the State Police carried .40cal Glocks and have for years. Are they going from the .40 to the .45? And what incidents were they in where under penetration during a gun fight caused a troopers death?

I was under the impression that they use a Glock 17 9mm. Likewise, the .45 has great stopping power. I'm very pleased to see that our Troopers will be getting some very well deserved upgrades. The reflective vests are going to improve personal safety drastically while operating on streets and fairways in both day and night time operations. Glad to see they will be using AEDs as well!

Great to see the department progressing...Good luck with all the new equipment!

AmericanPolice - I don't have pics, I don't usually take any. I got to play on the Bearcat today, so anyone in N. dutchess, keep your camera ready to get a shot.

CommandChief- .357 Revolver til 1990, the Glock 9mm til earlier this year, now .45 cal.

Bring back the old .357 Colt Python

AmericanPolice - I don't have pics, I don't usually take any. I got to play on the Bearcat today, so anyone in N. dutchess, keep your camera ready to get a shot.

C'mon, take it for a cruise down the TSP to Stormville barracks so I can get some shots of it!!

It's about time they get Armor Vehicles, and AED's are nice to. More fire power is always a good thing to.

The incident upstate with the Trooper engaging the 2 bank robbery suspects on a vehicle stop. One perp was shot in the ankle with the 9mm and limped away; had it been the .45cal, his foot would have been blown off. In that fatality, the bullet from the perp's gun hit the Trooper's belt buckle, entered his torso, and caused fatal wounds.