Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

WA state troopers named best dressed

12 posts in this topic

Personally, I think New York State Troopers are the best dressed...what are your picks?

WA state troopers named best dressed

By CURT WOODWARD

Associated Press Writer

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- It's a look that lead-foot drivers know all too well: the crisp black bow tie and blue "Smokey Bear" hat of a Washington State Patrol trooper.

And according to a national trade group, the outfits are the best-looking state police uniforms in the country.

The patrol, which has been wearing the peaked hats and distinctive bow ties for about 70 years, recently was named America's "Best-Dressed State Law Enforcement Agency" by the National Association of Uniform Manufacturers and Distributors.

The agency has taken runner-up honors before, but this is the first year the attire has been recognized as tops in the country, said Capt. Bill Hilton.

Judges were impressed by the Washington troopers' formal uniform, which includes the black bow tie on a long-sleeved blue shirt, with darker blue pocket flaps, epaulets and cuffs.

Matching blue pants sport a dark blue stripe down the side, and the peaked, flat-brimmed dark blue felt cap tops it all off.

There are several variations of a Washington trooper's uniform, depending on duty, and many don't wear the formal bow tie in day-to-day service.

But the full complement of clothes can project a certain bearing, Hilton said.

"You check to see that things are straight before you head out the door, and the brass is shined up," he said. "Sometimes, my wife will comment that it's taking me a bit of time to get ready."

---

On the Net:

Washington State Patrol: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/

Uniform association: http://www.naumd.com/

It's all in the HAT!!!

NYSP by far!!

With Torrance, CA PD's Instructor hats not far behind. (The black uniform on The Academy, Officer Hart, Torrance PD Special Operations)

I think "WASP" looks like mall security! STOP! or I'll say stop again!

Edited by 20Truck

I must say, Westchester County Sheriffs have great looking uniforms. They’re kinda like NYSP inc the hat, but all tan.

Edited by vacguy

Bowtie? Really?

Sorry I am also stuck on "Bowtie? Really?". I just can't imagine it without seeing it, someone with a pic or link? I am too busy right now to research it! I do like the NYSP uniforms, but if "best" dressed is truly best than the bowties win! That is truly your Sunday Best!

Forget the link, found it in x635's original post...Kind of strange if you ask me, is it a trooper or a chippendale dancer?

Edited by Oswegowind

Maybe I am bisaed, but the CSP State Police Dress Uniform is the sharpest one I have ever seen. I think NY and NJ run a close second. The Washington State Patrol uniform is outright ridiculous. They look like they could do bachelorette parties on the side. Can I say that? Oh, I guess I did.

Nothing, but nothing..... beats a Mountie. Maybe it's the horse. He's a lumberjack and he's OK.

Personally, I think New York State Troopers are the best dressed...what are your picks?

I agree!

I'd have to say from the one's I've seen Connecticut and New York State Police have the two best looking uniforms.

A quote from the movie The Departed:

"Do you have any nice suits at home or do you like coming to work everyday dressed like you're gonna invade Poland?"