Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Yonkers PD Traffic Cars: How many have mounted license plate readers?

7 posts in this topic

Saw a brand new YPD traffic car parked yesterday with a roof mounted license plate reader and was wondering how many more YPD cars have them mounted like this one?

These license plate readers are fascinating to me and are an incredible technical breakthrough for law enforcement.

Question: Will these readers work if used through glass? Asking as i wonder if they can somehow be mounted inside of undercover vehicles such as surveillance vans, etc.

Thanks and happy weekend to all.

To my knowledge they dont work through glass, we asked to get ours mounted on the rear deck but were told it wouldn't work.

Ours will not work through glass, but do work well in the rain.

I am assuming you are talking about the systems discussed in this thread:

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=17965&hl=

I believe it was said they use infrared refraction technology, so maybe the windshields somehow affect it?

If the infrared refraction thing is correct, think about how a thermal camera works against a window. Just like a mirror, right?

Edited by xfirefighter484x

How about a plate with a glass or plastic license plate cover (which is illegal anyways)? Will the reader fail to recognize the numbers and letters then too? I do know of only 1 car in the YPD traffic division with the readers, but they don't tell us anything in the radio room that would keep us in the know about available technology!

I believe "825" car has this device (Charger)...

About the device reading through glass, may have to do with pitch and thickness...

How about a plate with a glass or plastic license plate cover (which is illegal anyways)? Will the reader fail to recognize the numbers and letters then too? I do know of only 1 car in the YPD traffic division with the readers, but they don't tell us anything in the radio room that would keep us in the know about available technology!

I believe "825" car has this device (Charger)...

About the device reading through glass, may have to do with pitch and thickness...

There are a total of 3 one fixed unit and 2 portable ones

In my experienceit will sometimes work with license plate covers, but more often than not it will not work.