Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

Later, A-Rod!

18 posts in this topic

Boras notifies Yankees of client's free-agent wishes

Posted: Sunday October 28, 2007 10:14PM; Updated: Monday October 29, 2007 12:36AM

Alex Rodriguez, this year's likely American League MVP, is reportedly seeking a long-term deal approaching $30 million annually.

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

DENVER -- Superstar third baseman Alex Rodriguez notified the Yankees Sunday that he's opting out of his record $252 million contract, SI.com has learned.

Rodriguez's decision means he will become a free agent and be able to negotiate with all 30 clubs. Rodriguez's bombshell move will shake up the entire winter for the Yankees -- who had hoped to retain him with a big extension -- as well as other big-market clubs that will now pursue him.

Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, said he sent word of the opt-out decision in writing Sunday to the Yankees and expected the club to receive it by Monday. Boras also left phone and text messages with the same information for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

The Yankees have said that once A-Rod -- the certain 2007 American League MVP after a monster season, in which he hit 54 home runs and drove home 156 runs -- opts out, they will not pursue him, since they will lose the benefit of the Texas Rangers' $30-million subsidy. So unless they change their strategy, they will not bid on Rodriguez.

"Alex made the decision today,'' Boras said. "I thought we should notify the club.''

The Yankees said Sunday night they hadn't yet heard from Boras or Rodriguez and were unaware of Rodriguez's decision. "We'll have to see the letter,'' Yankees president Randy Levine said late Sunday night.

The Yankees had been preparing an extension to his current contract for either five or six years, believed to be close to $30 million annually. However, team officials said Boras has politely declined to meet with them in recent days, and they never presented the offer.

Boras hasn't said how much he believes Rodriguez is worth on the open market, but he suggested in interviews that Rodriguez could be worth $500 million to the Yankees over the next 10 years. It's clear he's shooting for a deal well in excess of $300 million, perhaps even as much as $400 million. Rodriguez was to make $91 million over the final three years of his Rangers/Yankees deal.

Rodriguez technically had until 10 days after the World Series ended to exercise his opt-out rights, which were provided in his $252 million Texas deal. However, Boras said in an interview with SI.com Sunday that Rodriguez couldn't even consider any pre-opt-out deadline offers from the Yankees until they settled several situations, specifically mentioning the impending free agency of Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada and uncertainty surrounding Andy Pettitte. Boras specifically mentioned Yankees partner Hank Steinbrenner's comment the Yankees are in a "transitional'' phase as a concern.

"There really was no way he could make a decision (to stay) until much later in the month of November,'' Boras said. "There are no deadlines. We clearly needed more time to understand what 'transitional'' meant, what the new owners intend, and what's going to happen to Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.''

Boras suggested he wasn't overly optimistic about what "transitional'' could mean. Hank Steinbrenner used that wording in discussing what should be expected from the new manager who replaces Joe Torre (it is believed Joe Girardi will receive an offer, as early as Monday.) "We didn't feel a lot of the players were going to sign,'' Boras said. Pettitte, in particular, has said he may retire. It's possible that none of the three players will be signed before Rodriguez had to decide whether to opt out, 10 days after the World Series.

The Yankees have said repeatedly that if Rodriguez opts out, they will not pursue him and he will become an ex-Yankee. However, the free-agent market isn't exactly filled with high-profile power hitters; and the only other star third baseman, 2007 World Series MVP Mike Lowell, could re-sign with the Red Sox. Lowell also becomes a major option for the Yankees now.

Boras said they would welcome the Yankees to pursue A-Rod, however. "We're here to make decisions based on our rights, and we'll certainly consider whatever clubs show interest,'' Boras said. "We'd be happy to talk to any club, including the Yankees.

"Certainly, Alex enjoyed his stay in New York, and he did well there. So it's a place that works well for Alex Rodriguez.''

The Yankees will now have to decide whether it still works for them, minus the aforementioned $30-million subsidy. Yankees people have been adamant about their intention to move on. However, at least two competing baseball executives said they believed the Yankees might change their strategy, especially if it appears the Red Sox or Mets may sign Rodriguez.

The Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, Red Sox and Mets would appear to be the most logical pursuers of A-Rod. Although, the Mets would have to move at least one star player to accommodate A-Rod, who wanted to go there back in 2000 before Texas blew him away with their bid.

Boras suggested the Yankees shouldn't be stunned by this development. "Once the Yankees acquired Alex's right from Texas, they acquired and gave to Alex the right to terminate his contract seven years into it. So we were merely following the right of the contracts provided for and negotiated.''

As much as I love A-rod, and would love to see him stay, sure he earned his keep for the regular season, but once October rolls around, every year, he sucks. 30 million dollars a year is a hell of a lot of money for someone who doesn't produce the big numbers when it counts the most... I say the bombers should go after Lowell.

THE YANKEES ARE FINISHED, THANK GOD!!!

LETS GO METS

Edited by nutty1

This surprises anyone?? He's not worth the money he's making. Yet another coddled, and classless skell ballplayer. It shows the lack of class he and his agent have. Not even 5 minutes before the game ended last night, they announce he's opting out. While I am on this little rant about lack of class, did anyone else who stayed up late last night catch what's her name from Fox sports ask Mike Lowell about free agency?? Hey lady, why not save a question like that for another time and let the guy bask in his championship??

PS, I don't think the Mets will try for him, either.

The league should sanction Boras and A-Rod, they were supposed to wait until 10 days after the World Series. Just as the Yankees are waiting to announce who will manage next year. If he is that greedy, than go find a place to play. No where else will they build a new Stadium that will mean as much to baseball. And no where else will that Stadium look for a name similar to something like "The House that Ruth Built." If A Rod had stayed, broke the homerun record and led the Yanks to a couple of World Championships, the new Stadium could have been "The House that A-Rod Built!".

Though a good player, it was money from the get go for him. I won;t miss him, he didn't do that much for the team. The Yanks will be a lot better without his since we can get better talent from the majors and the minors.

I cant wait until A-Rod comes back to the Stadium with his new team and the crowd starts to chant OVER RATED

A-Rod is a great player and without him they would have not made the playoffs. It is true that he is below average in October but you would think the other guys like Jeter and damon would pick up the slack. A-Rod only opted out after talking to players like Posada and Rivera who still have yet to be signed the team may lose a lot of players this year. He can go anywhere else and be the star why stay in New York hit 50+ homers and get booed?

A-Rod is a great player and without him they would have not made the playoffs. It is true that he is below average in October but you would think the other guys like Jeter and damon would pick up the slack. A-Rod only opted out after talking to players like Posada and Rivera who still have yet to be signed the team may lose a lot of players this year. He can go anywhere else and be the star why stay in New York hit 50+ homers and get booed?

First of all this has nothing to do with Posada and Rivera, Second as a Yankee you here to win the world series that is known by everyone that is your only goal. So it does not matter what you do during the season you are judged by what you do in the playoffs and the series. What the issue is with A-Rod leaving is all about the money. He and Boras understand that with the season he had he could get bookoo money from someone else. ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY and nothing else he did not speak to Posada nor did he speak to Rivera, He does not care about them two. It does not matter where he goes as long as he gets the money. As far as Jeter picking up the slack you can not ask for anything more from him, he has given his blood to the yankees, one bad playoff is ok for him. Now for Damon he is anither bum that should be traded. Oh a message for you A-Rod as you leave, dont let the door hit you where the good lord split yea. OH YEA hey A-Rod what have you done for us lately. Welcome to NY Mike Lowell

Overrated and overpaid, Don't let the door hit your a** on the way out LATER

While the Mets should not persue A-rod and I doubt they would, it should be intresting to see who picks him up. I think the Redsox's need a 3rd basemen....lol

A-rod is a curse, that is why he does not have any rings. Whatever team signs him will have to kiss their world series win goodbye as long as A-rod and his curse are with them.

While the Mets should not persue A-rod and I doubt they would, it should be intresting to see who picks him up. I think the Redsox's need a 3rd basemen....lol

No, we want him back again! Just wait until he announces that! ;)

Mike

What most people don't realize including AROD is the Yankees will still be the Yankees win or lose (26 world champs) the team with the BEST players on baseball played on, yes they have history as a kid in 77-78 I watched the best players of that generation play and win in the mid 90s I watched the best players play and win (new faces) and in the years to come I will watch more great YANKEES come and win and go. 1 thing here stays the same do you get it YANKEES .PS CONGRATS TO BOSTON they were the best team with the best players Arod and boras asses for what they did DURING THE WORLD SERIES

From nydailynews.com

Alex Rodriguez's career in pinstripes came to an end when he opted out of his contract on Sunday night. Or did it?

The Yankees have made it clear that they have no plans to bid on Rodriguez when free agency gets underway, but a source with knowledge of the situation said Rodriguez is hoping that the Bombers reconsider their stance.

"Alex wants the Yankees to be a part of this, because the opt-out was not done with the intention of saying goodbye to the Yankees," said the source. "Alex wants to see what his market value is, but that doesn't mean he necessarily wants to leave the Yankees."

The Yankees have held the same position since the middle of the season, telling anybody who would listen that they would not pursue Rodriguez if he opted out of the final three years and $91 million of his contract.

By opting out, Rodriguez took the Rangers off the hook for $30 million they would have paid for the final three years of the original pact, one that had allowed the Yankees to spend roughly $16 million per year for the past four years for A-Rod's services.

"Why is it that Alex is the only Yankee who can't become a free agent?" agent Scott Boras told the Associated Press yesterday. "That question was not answered, and we think it's a question that's going to be asked for years to come."

Brian Cashman reiterated the Yankees' stance again on Tuesday, indicating that the Bombers were proceeding under the premise that A-Rod would be playing elsewhere in 2008 and beyond.

"We really would have appreciated having a chance to go forward with him, but that can't happen," Cashman said.

Still, whether it's with the idea of driving up his market value or wanting to remain in pinstripes, Rodriguez apparently hasn't given up on the idea that the Yankees will change their mind.

"He hasn't shut the door," the source said. "Whether the Yankees feel that way is a whole other story."

One Yankees official said last night that the Yankees had no plans to change their position, leaving the other 29 teams to fight it out for the two-time (soon to be three-time) MVP. Assuming the Yankees stand by their word and let Rodriguez walk without a fight, there are a number of teams that will likely make a run at the 32-year-old.

The Angels, Tigers and Giants are considered to be three of the frontrunners, but the Dodgers could also be primed to make a push to sign Rodriguez, according to a Los Angeles source.

The Dodgers used a plethora of players at third base last season, including Wilson Betemit, Nomar Garciaparra, Andy LaRoche and Tony Abreu. Betemit was traded to the Yankees last summer for Scott Proctor, and the Dodgers do not consider the other three worthy candidates to start next season.

Even before the Dodgers and Joe Torre began talking, the team had internal discussions about pursuing A-Rod if he opted out of his contract.

"They're going to be players for A-Rod," the source said. "I don't know if they'll get him, but they're going to try."

Should Torre become the new manager as expected, it is likely that the Dodgers will try to make a big splash to give him some more talent to work with. Rodriguez would certainly fit that bill, though the team is also said to be interested in signing a center fielder, possibly Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones, and either trading Juan Pierre or shifting him to left field.

Torre and A-Rod had an interesting relationship in New York, one that reached rock bottom during the 2006 postseason when the manager batted Rodriguez eighth in the final game of the division series in Detroit. But the pair seemed more comfortable with each other last year, with Torre even attending a barbecue at Rodriguez's home on Labor Day.

"There's no doubt that their relationship made huge strides this year," said a source who knows both parties. "The kind of year (A-Rod) had probably opened the doors for that, but how genuine was it? I don't know."

Torre's presence in Los Angeles would not prompt Rodriguez to accept less money to play for the Dodgers, but the hiring of the former Yankee also won't preclude A-Rod from donning Dodger blue if the money is right.

"I think he would go there if it was the right opportunity," the source said. "The manager wasn't the reason he opted out of New York and it won't be the reason he signs somewhere."

Overrated and overpaid, Don't let the door hit your a** on the way out LATER

I believe all athletes are overpaid. Millions of dollars for playing a game and most of them become spoiled. And I am an avid football and baseball fan but it is a shame when you look at what they do and what they get paid to do along with the best doctors when they get hurt than I see on News12 how a war vet is having trouble getting treatment for his injuries or how others have to fight to get benefits for medical problems due to 9/11. Something wrong here???

What most people don't realize including AROD is the Yankees will still be the Yankees win or lose (26 world champs) the team with the BEST players on baseball played on, yes they have history as a kid in 77-78 I watched the best players of that generation play and win in the mid 90s I watched the best players play and win (new faces) and in the years to come I will watch more great YANKEES come and win and go. 1 thing here stays the same do you get it YANKEES .PS CONGRATS TO BOSTON they were the best team with the best players Arod and boras asses for what they did DURING THE WORLD SERIES

blah,blah,blah :lol:

Abreu coming back to Yanks in '08

The Associated Press

Bobby Abreu’s $16 million option for next season was exercised Friday by the New York Yankees.

The 33-year-old right fielder overcame a slow start to hit .283 with 16 homers and 101 RBIs this year, when he finished second in the AL with 123 runs. He has reached 100 RBIs in five consecutive seasons.

“Bobby Abreu possesses a unique skill set and has proven to be a durable and reliable asset to this club,” general manager Brian Cashman said. “Consistency has been a hallmark throughout his career.”

New York acquired Abreu from Philadelphia in July 2006.

I think this was a great choice. This guy hustles every game.