Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mahopac's Firehouse Is Falling Down, Falling Down!

12 posts in this topic

So, today I had the chance (with special thanks to all involved) to photograph the entire Mahopac FD fleet for a feature coming soon on EMTBravo.com. Well, it happened to be the same day that they were tearing the old firehouse down, so I figured I'd share some photos.

Here's their new digs. Route 6 at Croton Falls Rd. Right next door to the old house, on the west side. VERY impressive!

post-11-1193951911.jpg

And here's the old firehouse, being torn down. I can't believe how small the bays were! Their new firehouse is such an improvement.

It's my understanding that they used portions of the old firehouse for training prior to demolition.

post-11-1193952052.jpg

post-11-1193952110.jpg

post-11-1193952178.jpg

post-11-1193952229.jpg

HOLY CRAP! That new "firehouse" looks like a castle!

Our old HQ served us well since 1948. There were a lot of memories in that building. We look forward to creating many more memories in the new Headquarters.

We had the oppertunity (sp) to do some training in the building last week. We had to remove 2 stoves and a cooler that we plan on using. Last Thursday we trained on breaching concrete walls with K-12's, our Packhammer and good old fashioned sweat (sledgehammers). it was an excellent training session. This past Saturday, Putnam County had a Truck Company Operations class there focusing on Search & Rescue.

In would like to thank Seth for the photos of the building demolition. I was not able to be there this week and I wanted some final memories. Thanks to Seth, I now have them.

Was there a bell in the old cupola of the old building? Hopefully it was saved if there was one. Good luck withyour new home!

HOLY CRAP! That new "firehouse" looks like a castle!

Yep looks cool

Was there a bell in the old cupola of the old building? Hopefully it was saved if there was one. Good luck withyour new home!

There was never a bell in the cupola. There were actually 2 cupolas. On the original 1948 building (left 4 bays in my avatar) it was centered on the building. When they put the 2 "large" bays on the right side in 1967 they added a second cupola for symertry. They were both decrotive only.

Wow, beats our tin sheds, thats amazing, never seen anything like it !!!

The new fire house is huge and I gotta say that is the nicest fire house in putnam county good luck with it

That Ol' building will be missed. Many great memeories there. But the new buliding is beautiful.

As the holidays approach, I hope you all will stop by and join us.

JD

Edited by BuffMedic236

Just went past the new firehouse last night and it looks nice and the old one has been completely demolished.