Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonythefireman

Is it me? Poor image of FD on Fox network

13 posts in this topic

Just got through watching Kitchen Nightmare on Fox network, the local volunteer fire company was invited to check out the neighborhood restaurant. They seemed to arrive on one of their rigs and were wearing partial uniforms, class B shirt with jeans etc.

Please tell me I didnt see what I saw on network TV?......almost appeared as if the local boys were drinking in uniform on TV?......cant be right must have been soft drinks right?.......

No, it wasn't you. I saw the same thing.

It was the Westhampton Beach Fire Department in Suffolk County, Long Island. No, I'm not afraid to mention names because it was on national television!

Whether them arriving at the local eatery (an Irish pub) in fire apparatus was just Hollywood imagery or real, there was no mistaking the firefighters (in uniform) sitting around the table eating with Budweiser long necks in front of them.

Not a good image at all.

No, it wasn't you. I saw the same thing.

It was the Westhampton Beach Fire Department in Suffolk County, Long Island. No, I'm not afraid to mention names because it was on national television!

Whether them arriving at the local eatery (an Irish pub) in fire apparatus was just Hollywood imagery or real, there was no mistaking the firefighters (in uniform) sitting around the table eating with Budweiser long necks in front of them.

Not a good image at all.

Hmmmm thanks, I didnt want to get the New York boys all upset by naming names........ya found that a little odd to say the least,also found it odd the chief had a hissy fit and left,while he was leaving they dubbed a siren over the shot giving the impression he was leaving in a hurry.

It is all for TV they are told what to wear and how to act on screen. While I'm sure the beer was real and food was too. The rest was all hollywood stuff. if it was in your dept's area you would be asked to do the same thing. This is not the first FD to be on a TV show.

I do hope they don't go and get SAG cards as they where not the best actors on TV last night...............JK

I love "Kitchen Nightmares" and was thinking the same thing last night. But, I'm sure there is some producer and editing issues going on. Like every reality show, everything is set up and "guided", so I'm sure the FD was invited and told to put on their uniforms. However, my personal opinion, I wouldn't have worn dress uniforms, maybe station wear, and gone in clearly off duty. As I said, I'm sure the editing didn't help them much either.

I love "Kitchen Nightmares" and was thinking the same thing last night. But, I'm sure there is some producer and editing issues going on. Like every reality show, everything is set up and "guided", so I'm sure the FD was invited and told to put on their uniforms. However, my personal opinion, I wouldn't have worn dress uniforms, maybe station wear, and gone in clearly off duty. As I said, I'm sure the editing didn't help them much either.

No brothers.....I get the tv thing, as a performer off duty with tv and movie credits I get the "assisted reality" part of it.......guess I was questioning the judgement. I can say for certain that up here in our area we would tell the producer to jump in a lake rather than depict ourselves in such a way.......

I didn't see the show, but from what I gather here, everything was good until they implied there was alcohol.

Some sort of uniformity is good. Being out on the fire truck - fine. Dressed ready to respond - great.

Drinking, while appearing to be 'on duty' - bad!

Very proud, everyone was able to refrain from using the cliche "Black Eye" comment! And yes, I agree, no drinky in uniform, even if its hollywood. Then get into a chief's car and engine and drive away, atleast its realistic!

Edited by OnTheWheel

Very proud, everyone was able to refrain from using the cliche "Black Eye" comment! And yes, I agree, no drinky in uniform, even if its hollywood. Then get into a chief's car and engine and drive away, atleast its realistic!

If we can refrain from the "Black Eye" comment, does that mean i can say it's a "Black Bruise" instead? :P

Mike

Not defending the action with the bottles on the table at all, but except for us, how many people watching that show actually noticed and said something about it? Any comments from the public, non-emergency personnel, on any sights about this? I'm kinda curious if the gen public actually noticed it.

I'm kinda curious if the gen public actually noticed it.

I can't say if they did or didn't but Long Island departments seem to fall under the microscope every now and then about poor judgment, whether it be drinking or spending stupid amounts of money. Note, this is not isolated to Long Island departments as I don't want to appear to be picking on them but, whether it be week long Newsday series or firefighters breaking up a block party with the fire truck, it's Long Island in the news.

I can't really go with the "poor editing" comment. Anytime there's cameras around filming a show like this, everything's fair game. I think the firefighters should have refrained from having beer on the table.

it seems like everytime you turn around the media is forming a bad image of firefighters wether it's volunteer's or paid and i don't like that i kinda take offence to that .

Not defending the action with the bottles on the table at all, but except for us, how many people watching that show actually noticed and said something about it? Any comments from the public, non-emergency personnel, on any sights about this? I'm kinda curious if the gen public actually noticed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a select few did or do in the future. There are always the one's that use stuff like this for political gain...Sometimes we have to be a bit more vigilant and see the final product before we okay it!