Poughkeepsie Triple Car Fire 12/6/07

18 posts in this topic

Date: 12/6/07

Time: 15:00

PC066198.jpg

PC066196.jpg

PC066210.jpg

PC066218.jpg

Nice! I finally got one of my jobs posted here! I can now retire.

Im not trying to start trouble or anything, but in all of those pictures am I only seeing one guy with his mask on? While I see others are at least wearing their packs, only one guys is wearing his mask. And do I see another guy almost sticking his head into a hole thats burned through in the grille?

Im not trying to start trouble or anything, but in all of those pictures am I only seeing one guy with his mask on? While I see others are at least wearing their packs, only one guys is wearing his mask. And do I see another guy almost sticking his head into a hole thats burned through in the grille?

You beat me to it!

Haha, yes, you guys beat me to it too.

Sad that with all of the badgering we do to be fully protected, we see things like this still.

I said the same thing to myself as I took the pictures.

must be an SOP of theirs not to wear scba at vehicle fires because these arent the first pictures that have made the papers that look like these. their lungs will re-pay them before long.

I don't think we approach from the front and stand at the front either?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Interesting, that's all I can say...

I wouldn't second guess any of these guys and especially the man with the arrow.

PC066198.jpg

I guess you guys are all perfect.

No, no one is perfect.

The point is we should all be learning from what's posted on here and not always think that people are bashing other departments on here.

Think twice what you are about to do and if you have the proper equipment to do the job. Car fires, dumpster fire, house fires all have chemicals in them that burn nasty stuff.

The bottom line is wear your gear on calls, it's made to prevent or limit the amount of injury that you could receive.

Edited by JetPhoto

I don't think we approach from the front and stand at the front either?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Interesting, that's all I can say...

Then how would you attack this fire. After initial knock down from the corner your access to the sides is a bit obstructed.

Then how would you attack this fire. After initial knock down from the corner your access to the sides is a bit obstructed.

good question... I would consider moving the other vehicle,(we have done it) and if the car next to it is already trashed I would consider attack through the car. There looked as if there was enough manpower... put guys to work to move that hoseline...

Looks like it could be a salvage yard... and even if not cars/trucks are replaceable, not you!

Just a thought...

Edited by traumajunky

I wouldn't second guess any of these guys and especially the man with the arrow.

PC066198.jpg

Why not? I get questioned all the time and if I didn't I would never learn anything! Everything can be questioned and if there is an appropriate and safe reasoning then so be it! No one ever knows it all...not even me!

Why not? I get questioned all the time and if I didn't I would never learn anything! Everything can be questioned and if there is an appropriate and safe reasoning then so be it! No one ever knows it all...not even me!

Of course you get questioned all of the time - your a DISPATCHER - EVERYONE thinks they know our job better than us.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes everyone, we do have an SOP which states very clearly that SCBA be used in all hazardous atmospheres. Car fires are included. Steps have already been taken pertaining to this incident to better conform with this and the other issues discussed in this forum. I appreciate the constructive criticism when it is justified, only fools are perfect.