Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Alamo/Northern Dutchess Paramedics To Merge

40 posts in this topic

After reading all the posts on here, it sounds like the majority of our "fellow brothers and sisters" have nothing to do but bash Alamo and its employees yet again. Alamo is just about dead now. So everyone in Rombout, City of Poughkeepsie, etc..., can now relax as a new management team takes over in the next year.

NO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! No one bashed the EMT's & Medics on this board. Their was bashing of Alamo's Management, they are to blame for lengthy response times for not placing enough crews in service to do the job. In fact I think if you found every thread about Alamo it's about the management that mis manages the company and not the crews busting their butts to get the job done.

I wish NDP good luck with this acquisition and continued success.

NO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! No one bashed the EMT's & Medics on this board. Their was bashing of Alamo's Management, they are to blame for lengthy response times for not placing enough crews in service to do the job. In fact I think if you found every thread about Alamo it's about the management that mis manages the company and not the crews busting their butts to get the job done.

I wish NDP good luck with this acquisition and continued success.

Facts? I hate to beat a dead horse but didn't you post that Alamo lost the City of Poughkeepsie to MLSS? :blink:

The biggest problem with this thread is fairness and honesty. There shouldn't be bashing of any company, be it management or employees. What exactly does that prove or resolve? Nothing.

You know, Alamo is not the only company to run out of units. Alamo covered MLSS when the Town of Fishkill had a structure fire over the summer and we went M/A to East Fishkill a handful of times as well. Likewise, i can't recall the last time a City job had to go M/A.

Like i said earlier, its not exactly easy to bust your a** for 12 hours and then see some of the stuff that is being said around here, some of it by people that have no first hand knowledge but simply find it easier to pick out the bad and disregard any good. No one company is perfect, each has their problems i don't think anyone can deny that.

Well said Goose. Bottom line, bashing just brings us down as a whole. Do you see the police putting down other departments like we do in EMS? This is not helping us get on a level playing field with other emergency services. Anyone can go online here, read this, and think we are children saying my sandbox is better than yours. I enjoy reading the intelligent discussions on here, but the bashng just have to stop. :angry:

Good luck to all parties involved. I just hope this merger doesn't end up as ugly as the last one.

I remember years ago hearing about NDP, a very small company, 7-8 I guess years ago. I for one, never thought that they would make it, due to their location and such. Congratulations, as well, this is Capitalism at its best!

The fact of the matter is, that this issue highligts, is that EMS shouldn't be provided by commercial or quasi-commercial agencies. EMS should be a independent municipal service, or part of the FD when done right. This way, ALL employees who actually are working in EMS because they enjoy the job don't have to worry about job security. And, they would get civil service status, better benefits, and most importantly, a pension. And, instead of focusing on how to make more money, the agency can focus more on patient care issues, and leave all the complications that come with doing non-emergency transports to the privates. THIS is what translates into better EMS.

It's nice to see that we all are considered equals.....Anyone ever consider that maybe there are some paramedics that have no desire to take on other duties, other than the one we have devoted our careers to?? While I agree that the private service EMS world is an abysmal misuse of the talents of EMS providers, both at the BLS, and ALS levels, and the privates treat their staff like indentured servants, I still am proud of the fact that I am a purist...one of the paramedics that loves the fact my title is not diluted with another.

In my career, I have been witness to shoddy ALS provided by fire-based EMS. I have also seen the same of the privates. we ALL do our best. No one dicipline is better than the rest. We all work under the same protocols, handle the same patients, do the same job. This is not the place for sabre-rattling.

Maybe in the future such opinions should be held close to the vest, where no one is insulted, or made to feel like less than a professional.

In my career, I have been witness to shoddy ALS provided by fire-based EMS. I have also seen the same of the privates.

And so have I and one of the glaring differences between the 2 is with FD based, you know that person, the management personally knows the person and in a way so does the municipalities administration As a manager I know who is going out on the streets everyday and for the most part so does the management I work for. Not the revolving door, we have a contract we have to fill system. I have no clue who is sitting in the seat as a medic today where I live and unless they are a regular neither does anyone else in my town. But I know the 2 that are where I work. I know that if our care isn't up to par or we have a problem it will be dealt with, from QA/QI, to reciprical training to removal of ALS priviledges.

As far as some of the other comments, yet again I will say no one is commenting on you directly. Call it what you want, but you don't own nor "manage" the company in question. Many of us on here are commenting on our experiences with the company in question and have busted our rears for 8 and/or 12 hours as well. Doesn't make the ridiculous stuff that was done and is sometimes still done from what I've seen any better. The last time a city job had to go M/A? How about all the other times there are no units available over the years or the ridiculous response times to others that led to units having to call out their location? This isn't a "you" issue, that is a "them" issue and you shouldn't take it any other way. If your that sensitive about it, sounds to me you know the issues and you care which is great and you do your best to not let it happen. But guess what...they don't care, you get nothing more out of it and you can only do one call at a time. And when I was there that's kind of hard when your doing a wheel chair transport in an ambulance while 911 calls are dropping in a contract area where you were the last unit available sitting there. Throw in scenarios which aren't employee friendly, nor good supervisory nor business practice and they wonder why they had some of the troubles they did.

And on a side note....is it true that MLSS did its first 911 job in City of PoK the other day?

Word around the sandbox says that they will be laying off all non essential peeps. Dont look to good if you are just starting. Oh and by the way it would also be nice to see a good working department like MLS take over EMS in the city.

I take personal contention with this comment and a few others previously posted. First and foremost what is the purpose or point of posting rumors about people potentially losing their jobs? You are talking about peoples livelihood here. THERE WILL BE NO LAYOFFS!!!!

Likewise, working primarily in the City of Poughkeepsie, i can tell you that the patient care is of the utmost. We do our very best for the City of Poughkeepsie residents and do our best to keep the Fire Department in service.

The fact of the matter is no company is perfect. Every one has it's can of worms, good eggs and bad eggs. There is no question that some have a lackluster legacy/history. But what pisses me off the most about some of what is written here is the total disregard for the average employee. The vast majority of us work very hard and are very good at what we do (that goes for every company). For those that have worked for some of the commercials in the area can attest to that, for those of you who have no first hand knowledge i suggest you do one of two things: 1) keep your mouths shut and fingers in neutral or 2) come out and get to know us. The patch on my shoulder does not speak to the kind of care provider or person i am.

ALS - Not sensitive, I'm just tired of people throwing out rumors that have to do with whether or not I or others have a job. First you've got people saying Alamo lost the City of Pok. then you've got others saying they are going to lay people off. I'm not in the business apologizing for what was or may have been the case at one point or another. All I'm saying is that for those of us on the street we do the best we can with what we have and its tough to come here and see some of the crap thats being thrown around, especially when you've got people who haven't been in our shoes making some of the more visceral comments. My comments are not concerning the company, but the people on the street.

Good luck to both NDP & Alamo with the merger. Hope it is all done properly, no one looses out on their jobs, and towns remain covered.

On a side note, at the request of the City of Pok FD, MLSS will have City 911 in the radios as of 1/1/08, and City 911 will have tones programed in the console for MLSS. Although Alamo will remain primary, with the opening of our new station on South Ave., it opens up the possibilities for a closer back up. I hope the management @ Alamo/NDP sees this and steps up their coverage in the city, it could only benefit them and the citizens of the city.

p.s. Anyone actually see the clip on the front page of the PoJo? The article was about Alamo & NDP, yet has a pic of a MLSS amb. Way to go PoJo.

Rumors and more rumors and more rumors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets set the record straight!

As the Senior Public Safety Dispatcher for City Of Poughkeepsie 911 Center here are the facts.

There is NO contract with ANY EMS provider for the City Of Poughkeepsie!

Alamo Will be handling our EMS Calls.

Mobil Life will be our Pre-plan Mutual Aid Provider if Alamo is unavailable.

City Fire did not request meetings with anybody they called us.

Those are the facts, The City of Poughkeepsie 911 Center and Fire Department's Priority is Patient Care! As long as that is achieved there is no problem!

And on a side note....is it true that MLSS did its first 911 job in City of PoK the other day?

Last week during the big snow - I dispatched an MVA in E1's first due that MLSS rolled up on, but were not dispatched to. Maybe it was that?

This is true. It was I believe a 19 year old diabetic emergency? 104 South Cherry? MLSS responded from Wappingers though noty City Pok.