Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Tis the season for tackiness

12 posts in this topic

Over the past couple of days, I've been doing Toys for Tots runs with some of the local firehouses to a few hospitals in the city. On Thursday, I was at an unnamed hospital in Manhattan. I'm in my Santa hat and got a bag slung over my shoulder when up walks a female employee of the hospital. She politely asks me if I could give her a present for her nephew. At first, I said I didn't have a problem with it, but I directed her to the fellow who was running the program. She walked over, flashed her hospital ID, and asked again. Her request was rebuffed after she was told the presents were for the kids in the hospital. I thought about it some more and got a little angry. I wrote it off as someone just being a cheapskate.

It happened again today in another hospital, this time in Queens. An ER nurse asks if we can give her a present for her autistic nephew. This time, I did the talking. "Is he in this hospital??" "No" "Is he sick??" "No" "Sorry, these are for the kids HERE." I felt a twinge of guilt when she threw in the Autism, but for the love of all that's holy, you're too cheap to go and get a present for a kid, and have to resort to hitting up someone who is donating to kids who are in the hospital, I think you've sunk pretty low.

Comments?? Discuss...

NYC nurses, they do pretty damn well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are they looking for a hand out...oh, I think it just popped into my pee brain!

NYC nurses, they do pretty damn well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are they looking for a hand out...oh, I think it just popped into my pee brain!

YeaH, THEY BOTH HAD NERVE. I can't believe they did that. Some people think with what they sit on.

Have a Merry :P

Edited by tunaFish

Jimmy,

It's not just your side of the country. I am assuming most of you saw our city run evacuation center during the FireStorm at Qualcomm Stadium. I don't know if this part made the national news, though. On about day 3, they make the announcement over the PA System that ID will be checked to ensure people who actually need the services. They figure about 2000 people packed up and left in a hurry.

Also one example from the local news. While they were closing up shop, they talk to a woman walking through the parking lot, arms full of supplies. The reporter asks her where she's going, and she states to her motor home.

You know how it is, if there's a free hand out, there'll be someone not deserving asking for it. :angry: :angry:

Edited by RescueKujo

I ran a Toys for Tots toy drive/fundraiser with my Cub Scout Pack through my church recently, and I was amazed both by the generosity of most and the cold-hearted rudeness of a few. To each his own.

The boys learned several lessons through all of this: There are many who are less fortunate than they; kindness is a wonderful thing, but it should never be taken for granted; and that good manners are paramount. I also got to speak with the Dutchess County Toys for Tots coordinators. They told me that due to mounting fraud, they have been asking to see the child's birth certificate at the local pack-outs in area firehouses. This is similar to out local food bank, which is church-based and therefore turns no one away, however they only allow one visit bi-weekly, and encounter much fraud as well. I suppose it's just like business, where the organization has to account for a certain amount of wastage to deliver its product.

The bottom line is that some people just have no shame, and many more have no class. So many of us continue to do what we do, be it paid or volunteer Fire/EMS or involvement in our communities, because we know that we help provide services for many people. Most of these people we do not know, but most appreciate the efforts of strangers nonetheless. We also do it because we know it's the right thing to do.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Edited by Stepjam

I heard a story around here about a woman who pulled up to Toys for Tots in her Escalade and asked for gifts for her 15 year old and her 22 year old! Unreal.

It does give you the warm and fuzzies when someone thanks you, or throws in a God Bless. Just to see a smile on that kids face is enough, or the look of shock when they get something. Makes you stop and think how good a lot of us have it. Steve brought up a few good examples. That's why we only do hospitals and and orphanage or two.

Over the past couple of days, I've been doing Toys for Tots runs with some of the local firehouses to a few hospitals in the city. On Thursday, I was at an unnamed hospital in Manhattan. I'm in my Santa hat and got a bag slung over my shoulder when up walks a female employee of the hospital. She politely asks me if I could give her a present for her nephew. At first, I said I didn't have a problem with it, but I directed her to the fellow who was running the program. She walked over, flashed her hospital ID, and asked again. Her request was rebuffed after she was told the presents were for the kids in the hospital. I thought about it some more and got a little angry. I wrote it off as someone just being a cheapskate.

It happened again today in another hospital, this time in Queens. An ER nurse asks if we can give her a present for her autistic nephew. This time, I did the talking. "Is he in this hospital??" "No" "Is he sick??" "No" "Sorry, these are for the kids HERE." I felt a twinge of guilt when she threw in the Autism, but for the love of all that's holy, you're too cheap to go and get a present for a kid, and have to resort to hitting up someone who is donating to kids who are in the hospital, I think you've sunk pretty low.

Comments?? Discuss...

You did the right thing. Unfortunately there is no shame to some people's game.

JB, you did the right thing. You were there for the sick kids in the hospital who were going to be stuck there on Christmas! They need the cheer an uplifting. That nurse should have known better, I mean if her nephew was a patient there then that's a totally different case.

Don't feel like a scrooge and I know after the Autism comment you felt that guilt but comeon, you were there for those sick kids in the hospital to make them happier. She should not have asked for a free handout like that. That just puts people in a weird place.

I heard a story around here about a woman who pulled up to Toys for Tots in her Escalade and asked for gifts for her 15 year old and her 22 year old! Unreal.

Can't see how some of this surprises many of you unless you just don't deal with the public like others of us do where we work.

How many times have you walked into a place to see the 62" plasma on the wall but the kids are sleeping on the floor next to the pile of their clothes?

Truly sick... It is ashame that all of the good people out there that all of us try to help are overshadowed by the few that are trying to get over on us. I believe in karma and what goes around comes around. As long as we do the best we can...... that is all that matters. Merry Christmas to all.