Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FDNY 10-75

Questions about water cans?

11 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I just acquired a number of 2.5 gallon pressurized water fire extinguishers. I am wondering what I could add to the water as an anti-freeze agent because I would like to store one in my car and not worry about the can freezing.

Also, I once read that adding dish soap or detergent turns the water into a mild class a foam, making the extinguisher more effective. Any truth to this?

Any/all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Yes, adding dish detergent works with the same basic principle as a Class A foam, breaking down the sarface tension allowing the water to penetrate better (sounds dirty, doesn't it :lol: ).

I thought I have heard of people adding ethylene glycol to their 2.5s to prevent from freezing. Wish I had known to do that 2 years ago, so it didn't bust the pressure gauge in mine.

I would recommend propylene glycol over ethelyne glycol, due to it's lower-toxicity.

Thanks Gents, I am looking for an industiral grade concentrate soap at this point. Otherwise, I suppose Dawn ® will work.

Thanks Gents, I am looking for an industiral grade concentrate soap at this point. Otherwise, I suppose Dawn ® will work.

RV nontoxic antfreeze at wall-mart works fine

Why don't you give Amerex Fire Extinguishers or you local Fire Extinguisher dealer a call?

I am sure they would give you some helpful information.

I have a Water Can in my vehicle, I add about a soda can size full of Anti-Freeze

in the Winter months.

I've never had a problem with it freezing up yet... :unsure:

Note: In the Spring I discharge the Water Can and refill it with plain H2O

just incase I see a pal who needs a nice Summer Blast of H2O! lol

Just ask ONLOCATION about that!

I would recommend propylene glycol over ethelyne glycol, due to it's lower-toxicity.

Yessss!! Thats it!! Thanks jack!! I knew I was somewhat close!! :P

Why do any of you carry a water can in your cars? I can see a Dry-Chem for your own vehicle (God forbid) but a PWC?

We add Class A foam to our water cans year round.

Not for any anti-freezing affect, but for greater fire extinguishment.

Adding dish soap to your PWC will also protect the parts and pieces, keeping them lubed and working properly. I used to work for an extinguisher company and I would add a squirt to the 2.5 Pressurised that I re-charged in the shop after a hydro-test. Just a FYI thing I thought you would like to know.

I've been thinking the same thing but have been holding off to be sensitive to other thoughts.

Why would anyone want to carry a water can in their POV?

If had to choose 1 item that I would think I would carry in my POV...that's a SCBA...the 2nd most important piece of equipment you have.