Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Irvington Alarm signals

9 posts in this topic

I noticed on Irvingtons website a section for Horn signals....do they still blow audibles? Are these street alarm boxes? Also does 60 control dispatch them and if so how do they know what code to blow....thanks.

I believe Irvington operates the same way Dobbs Ferry FD does.

In Dobbs Ferry, each street (or if small side end streets) are grouped up into box numbers. They are not pull boxes, but codes to tell where the job is when the wistle blows. Also certain large premises have there own box code. So a fire at St. Christophers School in Dobbs ferry would be 3 rounds of 1-3-8.

Irvington FD is dispatched by there P.D., so the P.D. can activate the alarms through there station.

The Village of Irvington still uses a horn mounted on the Town Hall Room. The Horn is used for fire calls and for 12:00pm. The Village and some local businesses have copies of the horn codes for anybody that wants. The firedepartment also has fire pagers which are activiated by the Irvington Police Dept. or 60 Control

Thanks for the info it sort of looked that way, a group of streets in a certain map box. Does 60 control blow the box #, or do they just do a general horn? Does the pd then take over and sound the correct box#. Also I noticed a "under control" horn code. Do they still use this code? How did this work? Sorry for all the questions but this is interesting, in the year 2008 a dept. still using these horn codes.

Ardsley, which is adjacent to Dobbs Ferry and Irvington, also used to have a "Klaxon". It was used for FD calls using the same numbering system as mentioned above, but it was also used for the VAC as well. Also, when school was closed or delayed, the horn would sound a code at 0700hrs.

Around 2000ish I want to say, the Klaxon was removed in anticipation of the firehouse demolition, and replaced with a siren atop a dedicated wooden utility pole in the back of Village Hall, behind where they park the police cars.

Personally, I think the horn was more distinguishable. The siren, I feel, is just plain stupid. It is still sounded at noon, but at other times I have no idea if it's a FD or VAC call and where.

I know many people feel the Klaxon/Siren systems are obsolete in this day and age of technology, but I feel it is a reliable backup and supplemental system. The technology we depend on today could fail easily, and the Klaxon system is a low tech way of alerting members not only in failure situations, but when you're out mowing the lawn, etc.

It is still sounded at noon, but at other times I have no idea if it's a FD or VAC call and where.

I believe there are two different siren patterns for the FD and VAC.

I believe there are two different siren patterns for the FD and VAC.

IVAC doesn't use the horn even though there's a number for Ambulance Call.

IVAC doesn't use the horn even though there's a number for Ambulance Call.

I was actually refering to Ardsley in response to x635's comment.

the siren they use in Ardsley is a whelen and I live in white plains and I can hear that thing go off at 12:00 noon and for fire calls and ems. For fire calls they use the attack signal which is a fast wail and for ems calls they use the slower wail I used hear a fie horn that sounded like a fog horn many years ago and I believe that was Ardsley fire horn. Pleasantville fire dept has the same kind of horn that Irvington uses