Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Bronx fire few days after 9/11

16 posts in this topic

it might have been a Thursday or a Friday of the same week. Someone asked me about it on christmas day since i buff but had no info to share. the only thing i know is that there might have been a multiple alarm fire in a mill or a factory, somewhere in the south Bronx maybe hunts point or Mott haven(maybe closer to the major deegan). I think an engine company from Buchanan had responded but at the time i was going to school and worked long hours so i was out of the loop. Does anyone have any info to share that would be appreciated.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were strangely enough, no multiple alarms in the days that followed the attacks. Might have been a 10-75 or an all hands. Westchester's Field Comm was still operating in the Bronx CO on the Friday after. I stopped in before I headed up to my mom's for the weekend.

Edited by JBE

I remember there being something cooking. It was definitely a commercial property and the chief at one point was asking dispatch to just send something.

If I'm not mistaken, the first multiple was in Brooklyn or Queens. FDNY was supplemented by the Nassau County task force.

My old company, I was still in my LI dept. then, operated at a 10-75 in Queens but it wasn't a multiple alarm.

I am sure several depts. also did this but I don't remember hearing of any multiple alarmers.

First multiple I have was Queens 99-44-7516 on October 17.

Wasn't this a fertilizer factory or some heavy industrial fire in the Bronx? I believe our Engine 108 was there, which has the same "threads" as FDNY and was utilized.

Does Buchanan has the same hose threads as FDNY?

How about standpipe packs? :blink:

First multiple I have was Queens 99-44-7516 on October 17.

Yup, that was the first multiple. Row of taxpayers. Various volunteer departments were either staged or operated with the FDNY in the days following, but you'd probably have to check records from those departments.

I thought that hose threads for the fire service were universal throughout the United States.......There was an conflagration in Baltimore I think that brought that standardization right?

I thought that hose threads for the fire service were universal throughout the United States.......There was an conflagration in Baltimore I think that brought that standardization right?

Hose threads may be standard in some places but not around here. Not sure how it works but for example I know Mamaroneck, Rye, Port Chester all have different threads. Rye uses NY corp thread which I believe is the same as FDNY, we were able to hit a hydrant on 9/11

The thread problems are with hydrant connections. No standardization nation wide there.

BedfordFire, thats the fire I was thinking of.

FirNaTine...

Yes, we actually do have highrise packs on our m/a engine. These were put on due to the fact that we are called into the City of Peekskill quite often for coverage and/or to the scene of some of their fires.

As far as in the days following 9/11, we sent down our Cascade rig (Utility-12) and our Rescue (R-26) on a 2nd occasion. We re-located an engine to cover Peekskill's E133 (Sta. 4?), but we did not send an engine into the City. I do believe our guys ran a few runs in the Bronx with the FDNY brothers, but no working fires to my knowledge.

FirNaTine...

Yes, we actually do have highrise packs on our m/a engine. These were put on due to the fact that we are called into the City of Peekskill quite often for coverage and/or to the scene of some of their fires.

As far as in the days following 9/11, we sent down our Cascade rig (Utility-12) and our Rescue (R-26) on a 2nd occasion. We re-located an engine to cover Peekskill's E133 (Sta. 4?), but we did not send an engine into the City. I do believe our guys ran a few runs in the Bronx with the FDNY brothers, but no working fires to my knowledge.

Thanks for clearimg that up. As far as threads are concerned, FDNY has their own threads even on their standpipes. However, whoever has New York Corp. can still make connections to FDNY, I think they'll just be off by a thread or two w/ some minor leakage.

Thanks for clearimg that up. As far as threads are concerned, FDNY has their own threads even on their standpipes. However, whoever has New York Corp. can still make connections to FDNY, I think they'll just be off by a thread or two w/ some minor leakage.

The difference between NY Corp and FDNY is less than 100th of an inch. The big curve ball with standpipes is Federal buildings and federally subsidized housing. They do not need to comply with local code and install standpipe with National Standard Thread. Hello adp.....