Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TL2L31

Putnam Minimum Manpower Response

3 posts in this topic

I hope someone can give me a simple answer to a few questions I have. I moved north to Putnam County from lower Westchester 3 years ago. When an FD is dispatched for an alarm, do the apparatus have to wait for a certain number of FF before the can respond? If so, what is the number? Is it soly a departmental rule or county wide? Where I volunteer we can respond solo and have members meet the trucks at the scene unless it is on an interstate. Thanks.

In Carmel, the first out apparatus rolls with a driver, officer and two interior firefighters. Unless the IC orders otherwise, the apparatus will not roll without this manpower. Exterior firefighters are only allowed to ride on apparatus other than the first out the door and even then will wait for the same manpower as the first out again unless the IC requests otherwise. Responding to the scene is frowned upon and pretty useless considering all gear is stored in Quarters. If no Chiefs are on the road, sometimes a line officer will respond directly to the scene. The only other exception to that is if you have to drive through an auto accident scene to get to the firehouse.

in putnam valley we role straight to the scene in our own vehicles if the alarm is within the town if it is on the taconic we role with a driver, officer and 4 firefighters for mutual aid we role with a crew on the truck as well