Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Your Name On Your Patrol Car

16 posts in this topic

While in Round Rock, TX this weekend, I noticed their PD does some things differently then other agencies. They put the officer's name on the vehicle.

What does everyone think of this idea? I think it's pretty cool, but I wonder if it could be dangerous as well?

post-11-1199836556.jpg

Some motorcycle units do the same, they put the officers name on the saddle bag. Good PR I guess, I dont see much danger in it. The danger would be the car with "supervisor", they're the first one the enemy would take out :D;-)

Edited by OnTheWheel

The danger would be "supervisor", they're the first one the enemy would take out :D;-)

(cough)Friendly Fire???(/cough)

They even put the name on the Animal Warden's trucks.

post-11-1199837231.jpg

Is the dept that small that they can put the P.O's. name on it? Or is it like CT State Police , were each officer gets a car and they take it home at the end of the shift?

IDK from the face of it, it seems like a good idea. Cuts down on the well let me see your badge number routine, it's a nice little perk, sorta like military jets. It also perhaps engenders a little pride in the vehiche ie an officer is more likely to take care of the vehicle and its appearance if they not only have to ride in the same vehicle every day but it has their name on it as well. Wouldn't reccomend this program for takehomes obviously though.

I could see this working if it is a small enough department where the officers get a specific car, or if they use magnetic decals.

I could see this working if it is a small enough department where the officers get a specific car, or if they use magnetic decals.

It is not only small departments that get take home cars. There are a number of places around the country, including Prince George's County, the CSP (Connecticut), and many others that issues take homes to all. Only thing is, you can't live a 1000 miles from the district, you have to live within the "confines" (LOL). Wilmington, NC is another job that does this. None of the aforementioned however print the officer's names on the doors of the vehicle. As for the airforce, don't they use nicknames?

I think it can be a source of pride for the officer. I think the public can benefit from knowing who are their guardians and be good PR. But I also think it can be dangerous. I would at least not put the first name. When I worked in a night club we got staff coats and we always chose not to have our names. Because if you walk down the street and the guy that was kicked out the night says hey Joe, by use of the first name it automatically disarms and opens you more up than if someone just yells hey Smith. If I wanted you to know my name I'd tell you. Just my two cents.

Each CSP car is unmarked and assigned to a trooper. When the trooper is "off duty" and are using the cruiser as his / her personal vehicle, the lightbar must be removed. Some troopers use their cruisers off duty others leave them parked at home.

I don't believe that an officer's name should be on the side of the cruiser / patrol car, its just a problem maker.

Is it true that the CSP cars can have lighting modifications done to them by the trooper?.....I have seen some pretty tricked out ones along I95 (in the Troop G area) and some insane light packages up north in the state are these troopers allowed to do this or are they breaking CSP rules?

You have to provide your name and badge number when asked (my dept), and anyone can call and ask whos driving car "1" and the desk officer would probable tell them or in the case of a complaint they would anyway. As far as the potential incidents of getting in a confrontation due to the "other Smith" then we wouldnt be able to drive down the street in fear of paying for what the "other cop" did. The public knows more then we want them to already and it's hard to "hide" from them with the FOIL and the internet. So, if you do the right thing you wont have to worry about anything!

Yeah that's all I need is my name on the side of the car. All I see is more complaints out of the that from P Oed persons.

Yeah that's all I need is my name on the side of the car. All I see is more complaints out of the that from P Oed persons.

Considering your cheery disposition, you should have nothing to worry about :lol: :lol:

I know maryland state police take their cars home.

pa state police will also when on a quick turnaround shift.

I would not want my name on my cruiser. There are too many goofballs out there.

Edited by ldrco195

For the most part over here, 3 guys share a car. an A LINE, B LINE and C LINE. So that wouldn't really fly to well. The concept is pretty cool though. Kind of militaristic, like Lieutenant's in the Air Force have their names on the sides of their jets just below the cockpit window. I could see in a larger dept where each person is assaigned a car or takes home a car that this would be practical. However, theres always cases when the car has to be repaired or maintained and is OOS, which kind of screws up the whole name concept, but Im sure not all their units are marked with the name. Anyway, this is new york, nobody really cares who you are... all they care about is if they are getting the ticket or not. I can see in smaller towns where its a few guys and they know the locals by name, seeing the Sgt's name on the side of the car would be pretty cool.