Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Manitex-Based Heavy Rescue?

6 posts in this topic

Now here's an impressive vehicle that I'm suprised hasn't made it's way onto the USAR circuit yet. This vehicle seems very versatile, and with some compartmentation (including modular units), this could make a great support vehicle for a USAR team. I wonder if the Manitex folks could partner with a fire apparatus firm to market this as a USAR unit?

2007 Sterling Acterra Mercedes Diesel/Manitex 38124 SHL

Photo by me

post-11-1200094940.jpg

while it might seem like a good idea, I'm sure that a USAR team can rent one, with an operator, for much less than it would cost to buy and staff a rig such as this, plus finding someone who is trained and certified to operate this type of equipment (though it's not out of the realm of possibility that there is a firefighter who is in fact a hoisting equipment operator on your department) I do know some big European departments do in fact have a heavy lift crane as part of their specialized heavy rescue/USAR companies, but it is hardly the norm anywhere, especially considering the cost of one of these is similair to that of a custom chassis apparatus, and how much use would thi vehicle see on a regular basis? Probably not nearly enough to justify the cost

ConEd often gets called for heavy / specialized equipment to respond to emergencies, by many different agencies.

There are boom trucks, cranes, and Vactors, and such, that are sometimes made available for response.

Mainly in NYC, but these units can be requested locally, under certain circumstances, as well.

for all of you mack lovers.. :o

now this is the way with the mantex instead !!!

sq303.jpg

05.jpg

Extended Extrication Involving Tractor Trailer: Rescue Box 39-16

November 28, 2006 – At 7am Engine 391 and Medic 117 were alerted for a 10-50PI involving a tractor trailer at Shawan Road and I-83. Police officers arrived first and advised the tractor trailer was on its side with the driver trapped. Squad 303 arrived minutes later and began the extrication. The Squad crew utilized the crane to stabilize the tractor trailer and cut the roof off of the truck. The victim’s legs were severely trapped under the dash board which complicated rescue efforts. It took rescue crews over an hour to remove the patient from the wreckage. The victim was flown to Shock Trauma. Hazmat 114 and the Maryland Department of Environment were called to assist with clean up of diesel and oil spillage from the truck. Units on scene: BC11, E391, TOW17, SQ303, IV 395, M117, EMS7, HM114, E14, MDE

for all of you mack lovers.. :o

now this is the way with the mantex instead !!!

sq303.jpg

05.jpg

Extended Extrication Involving Tractor Trailer: Rescue Box 39-16

November 28, 2006 – At 7am Engine 391 and Medic 117 were alerted for a 10-50PI involving a tractor trailer at Shawan Road and I-83. Police officers arrived first and advised the tractor trailer was on its side with the driver trapped. Squad 303 arrived minutes later and began the extrication. The Squad crew utilized the crane to stabilize the tractor trailer and cut the roof off of the truck. The victim’s legs were severely trapped under the dash board which complicated rescue efforts. It took rescue crews over an hour to remove the patient from the wreckage. The victim was flown to Shock Trauma. Hazmat 114 and the Maryland Department of Environment were called to assist with clean up of diesel and oil spillage from the truck. Units on scene: BC11, E391, TOW17, SQ303, IV 395, M117, EMS7, HM114, E14, MDE

DAMN! That thing looks awesome!

Mike