Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

2008 Seasonal Park Ranger

9 posts in this topic

The application to become a 2008 Seasonal Park Ranger has been released by Westchester County PD.

SPR Application

SPR Qualifications

Pay for a first year hire is $14/hr and $21/hr after 40 hrs in a work week. 2nd yr hires $16/hr and time and a half after 40 hours. 3rd and successive year hires are $18/hr and time and a half after 40 hours.

Filing Deadline is 2/15/2008

What's training like/what are the qualifications for it?

Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Too bad I don't have an NYS license and I'm an Explorer in CT. Otherwise that would be a good deal, since DEP in CT doesn't hire seasonal rangers, only maintenance and lifeguards...

What's training like/what are the qualifications for it?

Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

The training is a basic NYS Peace Officer course plus some first aid, department policies, and administrative stuff pertaining to the PD. New hires get about 80 hours of training (the 40 hour state course plus 40 hours department in-service). Retreads may get a little bit less because they can take a "refresher" for the peace officer course.

As for qualifications, they should all be on the announcement.

Some of the training is also offered in the evening to accommodate full-time day students.

Hope that helps a little!

It's a great job. i did it for a summer and met a lot of great people and had a wonderful experience. You can make a ton of money if you want, playland has plenty of OT available almost everyday.

Great experience got my gun permit in 2 months. I don't think they issue a firearm anymore though. Looks great on any application.

Like everyone else has said, its a good job, great experience, and definately a lot of overtime available at Playland

Westchester County Police Seasonal Park Ranger is A LOT of fun!

I was one back in the Summer of 1996. SPR #711 :P

Back in 1996 we had the same uniforms as WCPD Police Officers and carried a Firearm,

I even made an arrest however things have changed and although you are still a NYS Peace Officer

who can make arrests you should leave the "Arresting" to the guys and gals with Guns like Chris192!

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Westchester County PD is a GREAT Police Department, If you ever need help

and have to call for it.... Trust me.... It's coming....and FAST!

Nice jump to $14.00 HR!!! Sad to say but in the Summer of 1996 I made $7.80 HR

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT ARE APPLYING!

What exactly do seasonal Park rangers do?