Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Future Fireman

Proper E-mail Ediquitte (yes I know I probably spelled that wrong)

25 posts in this topic

Alright, I sent an e-mail to my local explorer post advisor about joining the post on sunday, and he has yet to get back to me. I'm very impatient when it comes to e-mail replies because I check it everyday and I assume everyone else does. (Assume= You make an ... out of U & ME) I need to get over that issue, I know, but I'm letting this guy have a week to reply back to me, and if he doesn't, a letter to the station will suffice. I'm still leaving in the possibility that he may check his e-mail once in a great while, but, when you're ansy about joining, you get REALLY impatient. (another thing I need to work on) So the question is how long before I send out that letter?

Mike

Be patient. He may only check his mail at the firehouse on weekends... he could be away on business... he could do all of his reply e-mails on Friday night... he may have even passed your message to a membership comittee.......

Patience is a virtue - trust me.

Be patient. He may only check his mail at the firehouse on weekends... he could be away on business... he could do all of his reply e-mails on Friday night... he may have even passed your message to a membership comittee.......

Patience is a virtue - trust me.

Ex2114, is right,Mike. Relax and wait a while. Remember, an old saying I've heard for years---Good things come to those who wait. Patience is really a virtue. If a month or two go by, and you hear nothing, then put something on paper. All in all, I know how ya feel.

I have a tendency to get anxious, or at least, impatient, when I'm waiting for someone or something. Always have, probably always will.

I can feel for you, there. Try and relax a bit.

I don't know if I could wait four weeks for a response, but in your case here, I would follow up and send a snail-mail after two weeks, if you still haven't heard back by then. I would put in there that you had previously emailed, and not gotten a reply.

The proper spelling is Etiquette

i have most of my outgoing email sent along with a read receipt that when reader opens the e-mail it askes them to send an automated message back saying they have read the message.

Alright, I sent an e-mail to my local explorer post advisor about joining the post on sunday, and he has yet to get back to me. I'm very impatient when it comes to e-mail replies because I check it everyday and I assume everyone else does. (Assume= You make an A$$ out of U & ME) I need to get over that issue, I know, but I'm letting this guy have a week to reply back to me, and if he doesn't, a letter to the station will suffice. I'm still leaving in the possibility that he may check his e-mail once in a great while, but, when you're ansy about joining, you get REALLY impatient. (another thing I need to work on) So the question is how long before I send out that letter?

Mike

Ah, the technology generation. :P

Be happy you could send him an e-mail. You might have had to stop at the firehouse, when someone was there, and pick up an application. Then you'd have to fill it out with a pen, and mail it with a stamp and a big blue box on the corner. Then wait for them to deliver it, have it opened, again when someone is at the house, and then left in a mailbox until the right person comes into act on it.

We're a very impatient society - we don't want to wait for anything.

Ex-2114 is absolutely right about being patient and it being a virtue!!!

Good luck!

One pet peeve I have in today's "paperless" society. Is people that have email as their preferred mode of contact, then dont respond to emails. For example, if this explorer advisor had told Mike to email him, rather than say call him or send a letter, then apparently hasnt responded in a timely manner. I feel there is absolutely no excuse for this. If the guy told him to email, then he should be expecting his email. The only question here, is "what is a timely manner"? Judging by the posts on here that can vary. I would say give him a week. You sent the email sunday. If you dont hear from him by sunday send another email, and include somehow that this is the second email. Or go talk to the guy face to face. Why can't you just show up to a meeting early and talk to the guy? emails do occasionally get lost in the ether of the internet. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind some e-mails simply don't go through, or are directed to junk mail. Perhaps that's why you haven't gotten a reply. He/she might not have received your e-mail.

The proper spelling is Etiquette

Thank you for that :D

Jayhalsey, I'm NOT a member of the post, and I have NO CLUE as to what their schedule is. So, I CAN'T show up to a meeting.

Chris, my letter would be there faster than you would believe. I just hand it to my friend at the post office and it will be at the firehouse within a day or two.

Ex-2114, it's a town e-mail address, so he may only be able to check it at the firehouse. I tried sending an e-mail on the 1st or the 2nd. (I don't remember, 6 one and a half hour exams will do that to ya :lol: ) However, I saved it to my drafts folder instead and deleted the draft. (can you say "D'oh!"?) I know patience is a virtue, but sadly, that virtue never seems to stick to me.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

I got three words for you, CALM YOURSELF, JUNIOR!!!!

It'll get itself worked out, just give it some time.

I agree with the poster above, in reference to why people bother to have e-mail and use it as a means of contact if they do not check it and respond on something of a regular basis. Only ONE time, have I ever gotten a response to an e-mail that was sent to a fire company's website.....and the response was a PHONE CALL! They went out of their way to look up my name in the phone book and speak to me directly to ensure that I got their reply message.

Imagine that.

Keep in mind some e-mails simply don't go through, or are directed to junk mail. Perhaps that's why you haven't gotten a reply. He/she might not have received your e-mail.

Mike, he said your email could have been JUNK...are you going to accept that? LOL

Just chill, you have the rest of your life to volunteer, and the more anxious you are now, the faster you will get burnt out by the job...

Mike, he said your email could have been JUNK...are you going to accept that? LOL

Just chill, you have the rest of your life to volunteer, and the more anxious you are now, the faster you will get burnt out by the job...

MFY, I'm never burnt out until after 3 AM and my caffiene1 or sugar supply runs out! :lol:

And no, my emails AREN'T JUNK! They're as well thought out as my postings on this site! :P

Mike

1 yet another word I can't spell! <_<

1 caffiene may be Dunkin' Donuts hot chocolate or soda. Depends on the weather

Edited by Future Fireman

The post advisor finally e-mailed me back! Turns out they had problems with receiving e-mails at the station. They have some spots open. FINALLY!!!!!

(insert crazy screaming and hollering here)

Mike

The post advisor finally e-mailed me back! Turns out they had problems with receiving e-mails at the station. They have some spots open. FINALLY!!!!!

(insert crazy screaming and hollering here)

Mike

See -- everyone gave you pretty much the same advice --- relax and wait.... Patience paid off for you. Yes, you should appear very interested to join. No, you shouldn't appear significantly overzealous and super anxious to join.

Congrats on the response!!!

Good luck and remember to listen to those older and hopefully wiser. You can learn a lot from the 'old timers' if you let the speak and let yourself listen.

Anybody got an idea of what to wear to someone's first explorer meeting? It's tommorrow and the more advice, the better!

Mike

Clothes generally works. ;)

Clothes generally works. ;)

:lol: Alright, I may be crazy, but I'm not that crazy.

I mean t-shirt, sweatpants (pants of choice) or jeans and a polo. I don't wanna be the odd man out visually, although I will be mentally.

Mike

Mike, You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Don't dress like you're going out to shoot hoops, or wear sweats, or crappy jeans and dirty smelly sneakers.

Don't wear a bunch of bling-bling.

The look you want is "casual" even sort of college-preppy.

Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, or neatly pressed clean jeans (docker's).

Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, or polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

or a Sweater

Leather shoes (or loafers) and belt.

Remember that appearances do matter.

And try not to be too nervous, relax, be yourself.

And have fun!

Anybody got an idea of what to wear to someone's first explorer meeting? It's tommorrow and the more advice, the better!

Mike

Ok Mike,

Since the meeting was the other day, how did it go?

Did you wear a tux? It would've definitely impressed the committee!

Ok Mike,

Since the meeting was the other day, how did it go?

Went alright, had a presentation on the Science behind fires and that stuff. Took a quiz on it, and arm wrestled a couple of people.

Did you wear a tux? It would've definitely impressed the committee!

No tux. Sweats and T-Shirt. It was a meeting, and there's no committee. I was the only one not wearing an explorer jacket or T-shirt.

Next Wednesday the 13th, if the advisor can make it happen with the chief, we'll have FLASHOVER training in the burn building. However, being the new guy, I probably won't be in the burn building. :(

Mike

Went alright, had a presentation on the Science behind fires and that stuff. Took a quiz on it, and arm wrestled a couple of people.

No tux. Sweats and T-Shirt. It was a meeting, and there's no committee. I was the only one not wearing an explorer jacket or T-shirt.

Next Wednesday the 13th, if the advisor can make it happen with the chief, we'll have FLASHOVER training in the burn building. However, being the new guy, I probably won't be in the burn building. :(

Mike

arm wrestled a couple of people.??????? Did ya beat'em?????LOL

Sweats? What is this, the FDMafia?

Edited by Oswegowind